TR: Kid stoke--15K vertical w/my 8 YO

Took my 8 YO daughter up to Bogus on President's day for a little ice skating, er skiing. She asked me how long we were going to stay, and I told her "until you feel like going home."

When I ski with the kids, they are in charge. When they want to ski, we ski. When they want to eat, we eat. When they want to go home, we go home. With my 3 YO, that meant one ski day this year consisted of one run and then an hour in the lodge drinking hot cocoa and eating ice cream sandwiches before going home.

With my daughter on Monday, "until you feel like going home" meant staying pretty much the entire day. We didn't get started until about 11, but she kept skiing until 4:30. Just for grins, I turned on my altimeter to track vertical. By the time we were done, we had logged 15,000 feet. Not bad for an 8 YO!

We also made a deal earlier in the season that when she was consistently carving turns and could do a true "hockey stop," I would buy her poles. She earned her poles Monday, so I'm now on the hook for some pink and purple Roxys she has had her eye on. She's still got a tendency to want to wedge and get in the back seat when things are steep, but overall has much better technique than I did as a kid. The last two runs we were in the trees skier's right of Lando's mojo, and she absolutely loved it!

Nice. As an about to be father, I love this kind of report. Glad you're getting her some poles though, she's getting pretty old for no poles and if she does not get them soon, she might start hanging with those 12 year old kids with huge skis, baggy pants and no poles. Nobody wants to see that happen to a perfectly good kid.

Around here, baggy pants, yes. Huge skis, no. Most of the 12 year olds are on 130-150 cm twins with 75 or less underfoot. She's on 130s right now--her next ski will probably be a twin just because there's a lot of those available for kids, but something wider so we can get her introduced to pow pow.

Awesome!

Just had to do a little math & my buddies 5 yr old broke the 10K mark Monday. I skied the last 2 runs of the day with him. Had him following me off HUGE kickers. (actually tiny bumps, but for a 5 yr old, they were monsters)

He was rippin’ mad when his parents told him he had to go home yesterday morning & could not ski. He’s hooked.

Kid Stoke

Here's what lots of Kid Stoke turns into after many years... See pic below (I still can't figure out where to find the URL/link to paste into the text here.)

We started out skiing when he was 3 or 4, and now he leads me down stuff I couldn't have imagined I'd be skiing - he's 19yo now.

One thing I figured out when he was about 10, if he gets to lead, he stay interested. My job was just to insure we didn't go off anything that was too steep?? But, in the nine years he's been leading, we've been fine.

I do, however, believe that the most dangerous three words on a ski hill are: "Follow Me Dad!"

B-))
    Life's simple: Ski or Die

Quote Originally Posted by SkiOrDie View Post
    Here's what lots of Kid Stoke turns into after many years... See pic below (I still can't figure out where to find the URL/link to paste into the text here.)

We started out skiing when he was 3 or 4, and now he leads me down stuff I couldn't have imagined I'd be skiing - he's 19yo now.

One thing I figured out when he was about 10, if he gets to lead, he stay interested. My job was just to insure we didn't go off anything that was too steep?? But, in the nine years he's been leading, we've been fine.

I do, however, believe that the most dangerous three words on a ski hill are: "Follow Me Dad!"

B-))
    Can't wait. Looks like your son is really ripping.

Thanks for sharing the kid stoke. My girls (12 and 9) and I also have a tradition of skiing presidents' day, and we love the small crowds and for some reason, always have great weather. They love their Roxy poles too. Make sure you buy them the right length, because cutting those down is a bit of a problem. Even when heated with a heat gun, and in a vice, those handles do not want to budge. It can be done, but my youngest has semi-custom (melted) handles from my work.

Skiordie, I'm gonna get mileage out of those "three most dangerous words" quote. Thanks!

I just noticed on Monday that I can no longer just drop my 12 year old daughter. I've got to work on it! I already know we'll only be equal for one day, and it seems like that day may come soon........

Way to go WE.

Me and the 7, 9 and 13 yr old boys logged over 20k today at Brighton. They said they want to shoot for 25k tomorrow. A bunch of that was the park and tree skiing. Probably won't hit that unless we're cruising hard no park or trees.

NOTHING better than skiing with your squirts (as long as they're not bickering and making me want to strangle 'em!).

I love seeing people's faces in the lift line as my guys - especially the little one at the moment - come barreling into the corral carving gorgeous turns and going faster than I will.

Keep up the good work, parents!

kid stoke makes me want kids soon.

sorta.

ok, give me about 10 years...
    forget the world, give us the earth