Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad

Bump for awesomeness of this show. Going through it again and just watched half measure and full measure, the last two episodes of the third season - such great stuff even second time around. It is great to watch WW become Heisenberg after knowing how the whole arc of his story went.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

"I watched Jane die"

Rewatching now. Just doesn't seem like it was wholly his decision to allow Jane to die. At first, he rushes over to aid, then decides to not touch her. Then sad and then hardens up into Hisenberg. I dunno, it just doesn't sit right. Seems to me that he decides that there is nothing he can actually do to help and he is better off not involving himself. WW realizes what happened and is sad. Then he thinks more and Hisenberg realizes that this unfortunate incident (which he had no control over) is going to work to his advantage.

He's still a cold hearted bastard for quickly coming to think of advantage over the death of someone who is mostly innocent, but was there anything he could actually do, that he would have if it were Jessie (or Sky, etc, someone he loves) in the same position? Would it be as simple as flipping her on her side (the position she tells Jessie to remain in a couple eps back) when she was choking or doing CPR (as Walt knows and attempted on Tuco's thug) after she stopped breathing? Or was the case that he needed an adrenaline syringe as in Pulp Fiction/ other specialized stuff to resuscitate, and he knew that and therefore knew it was too late to do anything without having the materials on hand?

He probably could have just flipped her over. That said, Aaron Paul was on fresh air a couple years ago and said Jane dying probably saved Jessie's life. If she lives they are sitting on a huge pile of cash and a raging drug problem. That situation likely doesn't end well.

Jane definitely would have led to Jesse's death. And I think Walter upon initial discovery of Jane's predicament wanted to help, but before he did anything he started to realize that this was for the better. So he watched her die.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Jane threatened Walt. Threatened his control over Jesse. Threatened him with blackmail if he didn't cough up Jesse's share of the loot (which she wanted to buy smack). If you think Walt wanted to help Jane, you are wrong. He may have unintentionally caused her suffocation by rolling her onto her back but he consciously chose to watch her die. Stuck around to make sure it happened, in fact. Walt directly or indirectly killed just about every character that threatened him except for Jesse and Skyler.

check this out, breaking bad humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDqGAUvWKkU

He ditches his watch...his time has run out.
    I like that... but the director has said that losing the watch was an afterthought, and was only done because of a continuity error in a later scene (that they could not re-shoot) where Walt is not wearing the watch.

Right, but they didn't waste the opportunity; they fix a continuity error AND use those few seconds to tell story. Its the way he does it that conveys the sense of the man for whom time no longer has relevance. His first words to Skyler are: "It's over." I'll say it again, BB uses the camera to tell its story symbolically better than any other show I can think of.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 12-17-2013 at 04:14 PM.

great show yo.

Just finished, and could finally look at the thread (read the last 10 pages or so).

I had problems with Walt's escape from NH, there was an awful lot to ignore for that to happen, but I like neckdeep's explanation (and I concur with the general praise for neckdeep's overall contributions here).

loved the way he handled Elliot and what's her name, that "act" was brilliant, including the Badger and Skinny Pete appearance.

I'm surprised that nobody here is talking about Jesse, what happens to him. They want to leave you with a feeling of relief for him, the lives happily ever after ending, but how? He has no money (right?), he's wanted by the cops (although if he disappears I think he'd be presumed dead), and he needs a lifetime of intensive therapy after all that's happened to him. I'd have felt better if somehow he managed to get out with a lot of money, yo.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I heard Line of Fire by Junip on the radio today. Brought back Breaking Bad memories and made me realize how much I miss this incredibly awesome show.

Quote Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
    I heard Line of Fire by Junip on the radio today. Brought back Breaking Bad memories and made me realize how much I miss this incredibly awesome show.
    I am on the last episode, second time through. You notice so much more, definitely worth a second watch. What a fantastic show.

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

^^^this. You catch so much that you missed the first time. Can't wait for senility to warrant a third run through -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

re-watched first 3 seasons as a visiting Dutch relative had never seen. So good the second time around, know what is going to happen but pick on so much more.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I am going to watch the shit out of this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...the-first-one/

Just watched again. Have a question. How did Hank find the Tuco 's place out in the desert by tracking Jesse's car?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Jesse, prizing his badass set of wheels, had (foolishly, given his occupation) set it up with a Lojack anti-theft system, which includes GPS tracking.

Breaking Bad

Just binged a few.

I like symbolism. Fellini like.

Regarding the airplane crash. Not sure if this was suggested but I think he did it on purpose as revenge. If you recall after he found his daughter there was no anger or emotion at all. When he arrived back to work there was no emotion. He didn't show panic or confusion when he was barking out coordinates either. Walter didn't make an effort to save the girl either.
    Last edited by 4matic; 11-27-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Interesting take. I just thought the ATC was in shock over losing his daughter; distracted and acting rotely without his mind being fully engaged in his job.

Of course, the blame seemingly goes back to Walter White, who passively watched Jane die without doing anything to save her. But Walter didn't make Jane a junkie, and she was certainly a threat to both Walter and Jessie.

Maybe this is also a reference to Pablo Escobar and the airplane he caused to crash in Columbia?

Mmmm, maybe I need to watch the series over again. Or a new season of Better Call Saul would do.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Interesting take. I just thought the ATC was in shock over losing his daughter; distracted and acting rotely without his mind being fully engaged in his job.
    That's pretty much what makes sense. If ATC-guy wanted to down a plane, let's face it, putting two planes into the same general region of airspace, or even to cross precise GPS coordinates, would have been a ridiculous long-shot way to bring a plane down.

Which brings us to the fact that the whole ABQ-737 plot line is an absurd reach of a coincidence, regardless. Skies were clear, and pilots (not to mention automated equipment onboard) would have been alert to the trajectory of a nearby plane. And in any case, a near miss would have been vastly more likely than a direct hit.

The plane crash thing works for me, sort of, only because it's almost irrelevant to the series' larger plot lines, and because it's more a karmic parable, about the larger consequences of Walt's career direction, than anything else.

There's a movie in the works. Very few details.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/enter...vie/index.html

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Supposedly it's going to be a Jesse sequel, which makes sense, as he's the main loose end, that is the one person, other than Saul who has his own show already, who'd been mixed up in the meth trade who isn't dead at the end of BB (well, aside from Skyler, sort of, but she'd gotten pulled into the periphery of the game not really out of choice).

Jesse's logical path coming out of the finale is to get hauled into jail (he'd been wanted to begin with, his prints are all over the place at a major crime scene, and he's the sole survivor of two successive drug gangs; and he's burnt out mentally and physically, and has no resources whatsoever), then takes a generous plea deal (because there's evidence against him, but no living witnesses, and far from an air-tight case once it's established that he'd been a prisoner at Uncle Jack's compound). But then, that isn't so interesting.

And the Breaking Bad universe doesn't take the logical path.

So then, I guess this next chapter begins with Jesse considering turning himself in, but is confronted with a scenario that makes his situation even more desperate, leading him to do something preposterous and awesome as his only way out of a seemingly impossible bind. Looking forward to it!