rush 2 and road side pillows, a bert lovin TR.

Well with the danger as low as I have seen it lately I decided to give rush 2 a shot for the first time. Truth be told I had just really spotted it this year and only had scoped it a little. I was a little nervous as this was the first time I had ever air'd into a chute and the entrance/air was a little blind.

the camera and vid was rolllin and I really just wanted to stomp it clean first try so I tried to give myself the best chance possible by entering from the side (air the bush instead of the cliff) which is a bit smaller and seems to put you strait in line with the chute. On top of that I was a bitch and decided to try to manual off the bush instead of just ollieing the bitch. I tried to be as fluid as possible for the vid and only had a slight second to stop and scope the line then hastily air the bush while it was all sloughing.

the nervs got the best of me and I was a bit too much in the back seat from manualing instead of ollieing.....

These shots look clean........

And I could probly lie to you all and say I stuck it first try ever, but that's lame.

There is a rebate in order, but atleast I think I learned something. Atleast I didn't hit any rocks (it's not wide in there).

After that I decided to go up russel but it was a bit late that the clouds had rolled in. The wind was brutal and I feared getting blown off the peak numerous times. I watched 4 skiers bail on the line before I started up the final ridge, I knew the snow would be shit, I saw it. I just felt like I needed it, I had not hit anything up high for months on end. I knew I could make it down and I did(from the verry top), but I didn't rip it up super fast. The snow was super variable with bomb holes (litteratly I think) brown glazed slough debris, wind scour, ice, and even some decent wind buff pow thrown in rarely and more frequent in the bottom apron.

The pics and vid turned out like shit due to the stormy conditions and the fact that I could not really open it up. It was still fun even though the conditions were literally about the worst I have ever experienced on russel(this was probly the 5th time I think).

The next day we tried to meet up with the guys at thrillhead creations but I-25 shut them down. We went down lower towards WP to take a look and see if there was any good snow left down in the trees. I ended up ripping this nice chute a new anus. Less then 10 turns from the top of the chute to the bottom. The visability was so variable and just as I was about to drop it started dumping so no pics of me, but it got a bit nicer once I was at the bottom and I decided to try to get a shot of my buddy ripping it.

Chimmney rock? or chimmney chute? random guess I really have no idea what it's called.

After that we decided to check out a road side pillow zone near by that I had looked at for probly 2 years now and never walked to the bottom of.

This area was so crazy, the main feature is just a huge cliff atleast 40-60 feet I would guess, you could drop it smaller in spots though. The main pillow stack is quite impressive as it consisted of probly 6+ pillows roughly 5-10 feet apart scattered on the face of the cliff, I dropped a perfect mushroom pillow at the bottom of it that was about 15 feet and I was looking up at least 25+ feet to the top of the stack. I couldn't even imagine dropping the whole thing, it's so steep that I don't even know if you could do it as a pillow line.

My memory card crapped out on me last night before I got the best shots of the area (the main vein pillow line) but I got a couple from some other features to either side.

The warm up:

This was starting in the middle of a pillow line that was probly 40 feet from the top. There was a large moat the the lookers left.

I gotta say steep pillows are tough. I need to improve, but I don't have a ton of experience yet.

cool...how was the stability in chimney?
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Those pillows look pretty sick. Nice job.
    "She loved snow...That was the simple objective, being airborne, up longer, higher, more casually and with more fuckoff elegance than anyone else...Such endeavours require a kind of egotism, a near autistic narrowness. Everything conspires against you, the habits of physics, the impulse to flee and you're weighted down by every dollop of commonsense ever dished up. Everyone will tell you your goal is impossible, pointless, stupid, wasteful. This idiot resolve is all you have."
    -Tim Winton

nice on rush 2...you should ask mildbill about that spot
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox View Post

I gotta say steep pillows are tough. I need to improve, but I don't have a ton of experience yet.
    You bastard! I wanted to hit that tomorrow, from the top. That's where your other evening thread was isn't it?
    I'm sure it will still be good tomorrow.
    Wagner Custom Skis
    Powder snow skiing is not fun. It’s life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality. What we experience in powder is the original human self, which lies deeply inside each of us, still undamaged in spite of what our present culture tries to do to us. Once experienced, this kind of living is recognized as the only way to live–fully aware of the earth and the sky and the gods and you, the mortal, playing among them. Dolores LaChapelle

Thumbs up

The next day we tried to meet up with the guys at thrillhead creations but I-25 shut them down. We went down lower towards WP to take a look and see if there was any good snow left down in the trees. I ended up ripping this nice chute a new anus. Less then 10 turns from the top of the chute to the bottom. The visability was so variable and just as I was about to drop it started dumping so no pics of me, but it got a bit nicer once I was at the bottom and I decided to try to get a shot of my buddy ripping it.
    Dude, let me just say that you are super fucking rad.
    Last edited by The Word Stoked Is Overused; 02-18-2008 at 10:44 PM.

two words..."safe zone"

very solid though...I don't think I've ever seen Rush 2 that filled in! mmm....berthoud.
    Last edited by cold_smoke; 02-18-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: quote
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Thanks for this information.. I am really looking for articles on this topic. I will also share this with my friends because we are working on a research. Nice post! Really helpful.

Bath Pillow