Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

10th mountain division

I just finished watching the movie "Fire on the Mountain" and highly recommend it. These men are the original BC skiers / mountainers and are a huge part of our skiing history. We are much like them; valuing the freedom of the outdoors and appreciating the thrill of the adventure.

But more importantly, every one of these men sacrificed a part of themselves for our freedom. Some sacrificed more than others.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you that have served our country, especially the Vets of the the Vietnam War that never received our deserved gratitude.

THANK YOU

not to mention their network of cabins in the BC is pretty much the shit.
    my dog sheds the gnar.

Go learn, and read more, the 10th started it all!! Had the gift of learning from one of the old guys in first aid!
    carpe diem vita brevis

me too

one of the old time patrollers when I started at Eaglecrest was a WWII 10th Mtn vet - he's still skiing a bit as far as I know
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My best friend's father was in the tenth. I was hanging out with him in the basement one trip down to Utah, and saw some pictures, and then he pulled out a patch. I recognized the coat of arms on it, and mentioned it to Ronnie. He said his dad never talked about it, so after much deliberating, my buddy, his sister, and their other brother asked him. He was really quiet about it, simply stating he had been involved, and never really said what he did. It was extremely cool to actually hear the few stories he was willing to tell.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

If you have the chance to touch bases with any body in the 10th DO IT! Like all the ww2 folks they will be gone too soon..bless 'em all!
    carpe diem vita brevis

xth division

Telemike if your pard from your 10th is still on 'em go do a run! do a run with history, while you still go a chance.
    carpe diem vita brevis

I would, but he's in Juneau, AK and I am now in CO.

My friend Katie Bausler did some interviews for Alaska Public Radio you guys should check out...

http://aprn.org/2007/09/27/veterans-...i-from-juneau/
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I was in 10th for 2 years. We actually had a ceramonial ski team that went to VT and NH to show how the old school hardcores used to do it. Pretty proud I was a part of it. The gear these guys used was sketch at best, hardcore trained killers they were. Climb to Glory!

Founders of Alta, Aspen and Vail were all 10th vets.
    Last edited by Loon; 02-15-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Where is the 10th mountain division based out of?

Fort Drum, NY. About an hour north of Syracuse just outside Watertown.

My dad is a WWII 10th. Mt. Division veteran. Served in combat in Italy and won the Bronze Star. He is 87 and still skied up until about two years ago. These men shaped skiiing and mountaineering in the post war years. They are heros on many different levels.

Loon might be able to verify these two statistics as it seems like he is a modern day veteran, but I think that the 10th. is the most deployed unti in the US Army and it also has the highest re-enlistment percentages of any unit. If these two things are correct, that speaks volumes for the division in my opinion.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

10th is the most deployed division in the Army. I saw both Afghanistan and Iraq while I was there. As far a re-enlistment im not sure but it wouldn't suprise me. I am proud of the fact I served in 10th Mountain, when you go to war you want to go with baddest motherfuckers on the planet.

Many people are of the opinion that 82 Airborne is more hardcore but I would never trade my Mountain tab for an Airborne tab.

The influence on skiing these guys had is amazing. peep dis
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...e.html?page=16
    Last edited by Loon; 02-15-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: educational content

Besides being instrumental in capturing Italy in WWII, starting many us ski areas (and ski schools) and being just all around bad ass, I've also heard about another indirect impact the 10th had on all of us, affordable ski equipment for the masses. After WWII, a lot of 10th surplus was sold off, jump starting the ski craze in the US.
    Can anyone remember skiing on army surplus skis (or maybe seeing them tucked away in a garage)?

There is an older guy I see skiing around CNY (and in Vermont a few times) who always has a 10th patch proudly displayed on his jacket, I've always wanted to catch a lift with him and ask about the patch. Hopefully I can one of these days.

Loon, is the 10th still involved in skiing? If so, Fort Drum seems like a strange place to be based out of, Dry Hill isn't exactly the Alps. Then again Watertown is cold as balls and the Daks aren't too far away..

They don't train for skiing anymore. I've sucked nipples bigger than Dry Hill. The Army does have a mountaineering school in VT that 10th is a part of I think.

Some friends of mine had snowmobiles and we used to do tree lines around tug hill. That was some fun shit.

We did do some xcountry skiing for PT though.

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    They don't train for skiing anymore. I've sucked nipples bigger than Dry Hill.
    Didn't anybody warn you to stay way from the Watertown ladies?

Quote Originally Posted by Loon View Post
    Some friends of mine had snowmobiles and we used to do tree lines around tug hill. That was some fun shit.
    I bet... have you seen Wanderland? It's nice to see some the Tug's massive dumps getting recognition.

I think we had another thread like this before but the book The Last Ridge is a good read, and there is also a movie based on the book.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

In the 10th now

I just got stationed here in Drum and was wondering about anyone else on here from this area that might want to Road Trip with me to VT or Whiteface on the weekends. I've been poaching Tupper lake on occasion also.

The xth history!

The back round of the 10th is great! Good luck and God speed, thank you for youe service...............................and get some sking in damnit
    carpe diem vita brevis

Those guys were pretty badass. Although the thought of being in the 10th vs schlepping it through Europe with everybody else might have seemed pretty appealing. These guys are telling the story with a wink and a nod. A wink is as good as a nod.....

White lightnings!

I was assigned to the NW Artic Training Center in Ft.Greely,AK. White Rockets & Micky Mouse boots.

Page Flip...
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.