Australian surf, need study abroad location

So I'm headed to Australia for study abroad and I am looking at the east coast. Does anyone know where the best surf is betweem Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. I realize this is a huge distance, but I didn't know if one place was better than the other.

just wanted to narrow down my search. I think I want to go to Sydney, looked at University of Wollongong and I need smaller crowds (I hear north is super crowded) and don't need huge waves.

I guess Punani is your man. I know shit about it all.

Out of interest, are you doing an environmental study or a social one? Either way, I suspect you will have fun.

edit: read it again, assume you actually want to study and surf, not study surf. D'oh...

you go in the cage
    cage go in the water
    shark in the water
    fine

Slider, Queensland is pretty awesome. Coolangata about 20 miles south of Surfers paradise is where Kirra Point, Greenmountm, and Durranba are. Just twomiles north is Burleigh Head, and then Corrunbin. North of Braisbane about 50 miles or so is Noosa Heads. South of Coolangata about 80 miles is Lennox Head and Byron Bay and further south another 80 near Yamba is Angourri. My spelling is all screwed up but these places are the best. Angourri is a thick wave perfect right breaks just like Vland on the north shore. Kirra is one of the best waves in the world long point right that barrels with a six inch lip it is phenominal. Burleigh is allso a solid point right with a nice tube in two sections and Noosa is a famous right point that some compare to Hanalei Bay on Kauai but it doesn"t get as big as Hanalei. Surf season is during cyclone season which is from Feb. through and up to June after that its a little flat. Oh yeah it's also semi tropical with water temps in the high 60's and lo 70's just like the islands. I spent a cyclone season there surfing all these spots. If you don"ta live in that area go during cyclone season on a solid swell and you will be STOKED.

Re: Australian surf, need study abroad location

Originally posted by snowrider
    So I'm headed to Australia for study abroad and I am looking at the east coast. Does anyone know where the best surf is betweem Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. I realize this is a huge distance, but I didn't know if one place was better than the other.
    Kirranapperocksdbahlennoxballinangourrabeenoubrand onpointinkipopbellsbeach

"napper rocks"? sounds like a nice place to lay down for a bit.

oln's covering the asp this year. they showed the bells beach comp the other night.
    fine