Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    185s came up at 9.5 lbs on the always scientific, very accurate bathroom scale, which only weighs by .5 lb increments. So, I'm guessing that they are somewhere between 9 and 9.5. They look like they're going to be really fun!

Quote Originally Posted by snowbowler View Post
    185s came up at 9.5 lbs on the always scientific, very accurate bathroom scale, which only weighs by .5 lb increments. So, I'm guessing that they are somewhere between 9 and 9.5. They look like they're going to be really fun!
    What do they flex like, in comparison to other skis?

Where'd you get them BTW? never mind there on BC.com
    Last edited by mountain_man; 08-28-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    I ski therefore I am.

is BC.com sold out of 185s already?

Any chance you can post a flex picture, and a picture of the camber of the skis together?
    that would be the bees knees.
    thanks
    phall
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

JJ 185

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Evogear and Porters both have them in 185.

Originally Posted by fish View Post

Evogear and Porters both have them in 185.

I don't think I've seen the 185 available yet on BC....been wiatin' so I can livesearch 'em for 30% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Any chance you can post a flex picture, and a picture of the camber of the skis together?
    that would be the bees knees.
    thanks
    phall
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

A medium-soft ski with shitloads of float and some length that also skis short and quick on packed snow could be most excellent for east coast powder skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

A medium-soft ski with shitloads of float and some length that also skis short and quick on packed snow could be most excellent for east coast powder skiing.
    x2

and " Made in Austria"

Are the bases still die cut like past Armadas? I've cracked my bases along the die cut lettering on two pairs of ANTs off realtively minor rock hits (e.g. no other edge/base damage than the crack) others on TGR have had the same problem. I want these skis but don't want to deal with that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post

exactly
    i have already decided to order these as my pow specific tool. just want some flex rating/indication.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Are the bases still die cut like past Armadas? I've cracked my bases along the die cut lettering on two pairs of ANTs off realtively minor rock hits (e.g. no other edge/base damage than the crack) others on TGR have had the same problem. I want these skis but don't want to deal with that again.
    They're made in Atomic's factory. That's about as quality as you're gonna get.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I know, but so are the ANTs of which I've cracked two bases in the same manner on, others have too, I think it's a design defect in the die cut bases.

^^^ totaly agree with the bases. My ARVs are having all kinds of problems around the die cuts. I think the tangs are too small or something.
    "When the mountains speak, wise men listen" -John Muir

WHEW. After 9 months of waiting I finally got to fondle these babies. The flex was really the only thing I wanted to get a feel for before purchasing, along with the camber profile, amount of rocker etc.

The flex IMO is almost perfect for a ski like this. I would say it lies somwhere between the original design of JP/Julien and an older Gotama flex. Softer than what I remember of the ARG, definitely stiffer than the Hellbent or EP pro. Torsionally solid. For the size, felt very, very light. The flex is quite nice, strong and snappy yet pliable in the tips and tails yet solid underfoot. The camber profile truly needs to be seen to be appreciated. Underfoot is true camber, probably a section about a boot length. Then towards the tips and tails is a considerable flat section followed by a long gradual tip and tail rise. The Rocker has a longer rise in the tips then the tails. Less Rocker than the Hellbents for sure.

Sidecut section underfoot is considerable. In the shop price looks like it is going to be 649.99

BTW the Armada rep was there to answer my questions (nothing I didn't already know, but a chill guy nonetheless). He swears by the skis, and said it is "the best thing since sliced bread" or something along those lines. Usually wouldn't believe the crap a rep tells me, but when you have hardware like this to back up your claims, it makes your job easier.

The base is 50/50 for those who interested. Not a full race base, but a nice compromise.

I was ready to lay down some cash, unfortunately not all. Shop won't do layaway till November. Somebody get out there and nab these skis before the gapers lay waste to the supply!

Camber:
    Attachment 45743

Length for the 185 vs. 179 team 100 and old 188 jjs:
    Attachment 45744

Thoooooose lookawesome. Thanks for the photos. Its a good thing my quiver is already flush.

the camber pic is really useful, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    the camber pic is really useful, thanks!
    Agree..

Do the ARGs have a similar camber under foot or are they flat?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I got a pair of the 175's...and my observations are similar. Although the snow contact length is fairly short, the camber looks$$$. If you are looking for a do-it-all ski look elsewhere. But the camber should be awesome getting back down to the base on groomers etc.

Note: This is mostly speculation. I will do a full review once I get a few pow days under my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by dorikin69 View Post
    The flex IMO is almost perfect for a ski like this. I would say it lies somwhere between the original design of JP/Julien and an older Gotama flex. Softer than what I remember of the ARG, definitely stiffer than the Hellbent or EP pro. Torsionally solid.
    WOOOOOO, sounds perfect to me.
    I ski therefore I am.

Man, those ski's look amazing!