Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic Monday?

Magic Monday?

After years of hearing great stuff about it, I'm thinking of heading south tomorrow for a Magic initiation. A couple of concerns -

Likelihood for wind hold? The forecast is calling for 24 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph.

Likelihood of finding a woods partner? Never been there before and I won't blindly follow tracks unless I can see where they come out. Solo woods adventures are for the suicidal and inconsiderate.

Likelihood of pow? What will a night of high winds do to the place? At MRG I know where the snow gets taken from and deposited when the winds do mountain maintenance. Are there enough leeward wooded runs to catch and hold the white goodness?

Any wisdom or secrets of wizardom are appreciated.

Cheers!

hmm hmm..maybe i will head up?

update anyone?
    Last edited by DePierre; 02-10-2008 at 07:54 PM.

Magic is the one of the best hills for a windy day. The black chair is pretty well protected.

Today was sweet. Sorry I didn't leave much for you. Seriously though you can find some fresh tracks if you're willing to work a bit.

Some pics on alpinezone: http://forums.alpinezone.com/23908-m...10-2008-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    Magic is the one of the best hills for a windy day. The black chair is pretty well protected.

Today was sweet. Sorry I didn't leave much for you. Seriously though you can find some fresh tracks if you're willing to work a bit.

Some pics on alpinezone: http://forums.alpinezone.com/23908-m...10-2008-a.html
    FUCK! i knew i should have gone there over Gore today.

Playing hookie again. Be there @ 9:00 sharp for 1st chair. The last 3 days were simply amazing today being the best. Well worth the trip.

Get here.

Blue explosivs, DON'T STRATTON MAGIC STICKERS.

Alpinista, Welcome.

Listen. Magic was unbelievable today. Absolutely phenomenal. You need to try it out. Even at the end of the day, there was uncharted territory. Really, really fun.

I'll be w/ the guy w/ the exlosivs - he's so cool.

Lots of people at the bar tonight couldn't quite get in their cars to go home. Too many people calling out sick tomorrow.

9 am.

ah fuck it...ill be up there tommorrow as well. i get out of class at 930..should be there around 11-1130...see you guys up there.

oh yeah..i was looking to take my first skiing shots with my 30d if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by DePierre; 02-10-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uppernotmaster View Post
    Blue explosivs, DON'T STRATTON MAGIC STICKERS.
    a ha, saw you. I was on b4's. Next time I'll speak up.
    Quote Originally Posted by snobababunny View Post
    Lots of people at the bar tonight couldn't quite get in their cars to go home.
    Something about leaving in a squall just seems so wrong. And the switchback tasted soooooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    a ha, saw you. I was on b4's. Next time I'll speak up.

Something about leaving in a squall just seems so wrong. And the switchback tasted soooooo good.

Switchback...pow...maybe I should go south too...although I'd be happy to let you guys chase me around killington for powder tomorrow...

Good luck, hopefully nothing is on wind hold
    "If you make a splash, You SUCK!"
    http://www.tjdavidski.com

Thumbs up That seals it

I'll be the bearded one looking lost in my Prophet 100s with Fritschis, with "Ski Mad" on the helmet.

Cheers!

Alpinista, you know who this is My Pocket Rockets are just about toast from Mad today the edge is pulling off my ski cause it cracked, it was glorious up there. I may pick up some Seth's or Volkl Bridges this week. Hook up with Uppernotmaster if you can he rips. Also likewise for any magic locals, Alpinista is one of the most fearless skiers you will find around. Look for Bluebird at the ticket counter, he is usually there. Also bumpskier might be up there, you skied with her at Mad before. Just ask around at Magic and you will be hooked up with a local. They showed me the woods last time I was there and there were some sweet lines that skied the entire vertical. Mad's woods will still be glorious tomorrow, end of the day Shithouse was amazing. But Magic should be sweet all over. Make sure you do a few laps on redline, it is well worth it

Falldise

Quote Originally Posted by alpinista View Post
    I'll be the bearded one looking lost in my Prophet 100s with Fritschis, with "Ski Mad" on the helmet.

Cheers!
    Ill look out for you..All brown, white variant brim, and some form of Moments. A few others already know.

Quote Originally Posted by DePierre View Post
    Ill look out for you..All brown, white variant brim, and some form of Moments. A few others already know.
    sent you an AIM message. you going from magic from schenectady? i'm a senior at union, and would love a ride/to split gas...
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by lax View Post
    sent you an AIM message. you going from magic from schenectady? i'm a senior at union, and would love a ride/to split gas...
    PM sent back.

yo lax im leaving for class now..give me a call around 9 if you get this and i will pick up, if i dont pick up ill call you around 930.

Magician did NOT suck yesterday (four times).

It was a good day. I bet the wind filled in the trees and some other areas. Go git sum!
    Last edited by bumpskier; 02-12-2008 at 10:27 AM.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

How was it? Did anyone hook up with Alpinista?

magic wednesday?
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Thumbs up And good times were had by all

Quote Originally Posted by Falldise View Post
    How was it? Did anyone hook up with Alpinista?
    After the black chair opened a little late due to heavy drifting snow, uppernotmaster and I knocked out runs on Twilight Zone, Goniff Glade, Broomstick to Heart of Magician (Upper Magician was roped) and a couple of nice little mtn bike trails. Overall the snow was sweet with not too many glare patches as long as you stayed out of the troughs in the glades. Oh yeah - stay away from the left side of Witch uless you bring crampons. I nearly took UNM out as I laterally accelerated off of that ice flow towards Goniff.

Uppernotmaster had to bail after that and drive home, so I hit Red Line and Hans solo (both really held the pow!) then saw DePierre on with monster Moments as I approached the lift. We found more ice, but lots more powder. I missed the opening to Red Line and we took Black Line down, with ankle deep in places and scratchy underpinnings exposed in others. We then tried to find "I heard about this woods run" to no avail and were forced to enjoy Hans again, followed by a few fun little woods side trails off of Lower Wizard.

After lunch the wind kept rearranging the snow, scraping more off of TZ and Goniff and fattening up Red Line (two more runs) and Talisman. Sorcerer skied really well as long as you stayed on top of the bumps.

I helped the patrol crew with sweep, scoring one final, slow, careful, Red Line run in the process, and found that the wind was still doing good things to it.

Fourteen runs, rubber legs, !camera==!skipr0n, and a great day. Looking forward to heading back. Thanks ,everyone, for the help and encouragement.

Cheers!

Sounds like you had a good time despite the cold and wind. Hopefully I will be able to get out next time and take some turns.

See everyone Wednesday

.....I would recommend car pooling.

oh yeah, I am going to lead a tour out to some slackcountry and back at 1pm Tuesday for Touring Tuesdays. Any takers?
    Last edited by Bluebird; 02-11-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Sounds like you had a good time despite the cold and wind. Hopefully I will be able to get out next time and take some turns.

See everyone Wednesday

oh yeah, I am going to lead a tour out to some slackcountry and back at 1pm Tuesday for Touring Tuesdays. Any takers?
    damn interview

so we have to co-ordinate a maggot carpool wendnesday
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post

See everyone Wednesday

Bb, Check pm box

Magic freakin' rules. I was there one day 5 or so years ago on a deeep day. They had one of the trails roped off (I have no idea what the name is anymore) and we followed a 'troller up to the rope expecting it to drop. He turns to us and says "Well, you coming? Quick!" He ducks the rope and skis down. I looked at my buddy and was like "Fuck yeah!!" Killer run ensued.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Will be there Wednesday with a small group of non-maggots. B4's and comp120's.

Sounds like a killer day was had by all.