20. You may not vote on this poll
  • +2 of I

4 20.00%
  • +1 of I

2 10.00%
  • Sidewall I

14 70.00%

Sanouk Mounting?

I've been keeping up with this thread and albeit redundant I'd like to try a poll

Choices seem to be +2, +1, on the I line.
    Driving to Targhee

40ish days or so with 920's on the line and I am very happy with these things... I like them more than my 195cm Praxis.

I wasn't impressed with +1 at lower speeds. I'd say the more time you spend skiing fairly fast and / or centered stance, the more reason to mount at +1. If you ski moderate speeds or with a forward stance, I'd head toward the line.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I've been on the black set for the last four seasons with God-knows how many days on em. I mounted on the line when everyone else was going 2-5cm's forward. Personally, they've worked great - no regrets. But since I just got another pair from ptex1 I think I'm going +1. On the line they never even came close to diving. +1 should still allow suitable floatation, but make em a bit faster. Faster = mo betta!

on line. nothing else to say

I voted on the line because that where I have mine and because I believe the spot was not choosen by Völkl by chance. Many skis have a wide area of application. Then the mounting point chosen by the manufacturer can only represent one choice of how to ski the ski. On such a ski its not strange that people mount all over the place.

But the Sanouk is pretty much made for one thing. The rec mount point seems to be ridiculously far back but at the same time the ski is a rather extreme design when you put all its design elements together. Its not only about not diving, its about having that long shovel that draws the ski into the turn when it flexes in the soft stuff. Th more forward yo go, the more you lock up (stiffen) the front pat of the ski.

That said, +1cm is surely within the range where the ski will still work as intended. Stance, bindings, boots etc will slightly alter how you pressure the ski.

But the bottom line on the poll is that I don't think "majority" says so much. Instead, you should think carefully about what reasons you might have to go for something else than the line. As argued above, the reason "they just look very far back when on the line" is not so relevant in this case but there are other argument that may be relevant to you and your skiing.

I voted +2, simply because thats how mine were when I bought them used, and I really really like them there!

I've got a spare (undrilled) pair stashed though, so I might try to redrill the current ones when they are near the end of their life, just to try....and with maybe duck stance?

Vertical STs on the "I" .

I voted 2+.....but actually skied mine 4+ and really liked them there.
    Donjoy to the World!

I really liked mine the most when they were on the line. I ripped the marker toepiece off while sking ,so I remounted with salomons at +1 . Wish I could go back to the line. I prefer longer faster turns, so the more ski out front the better for my style.

Quote Originally Posted by FigureEleven View Post
    40ish days or so with 920's on the line and I am very happy with these things... I like them more than my 195cm Praxis.
    This is what I'm hoping for. Had to pass on some 195 Praxis as I was short cash. Settled on the Ptex Sanouks for a soft snow ski.
    Driving to Targhee