ECers: Maine surf?

Anyone know if there's any decent places to surf near Bar Harbor, ME? York is way too far away. I'm talking somewhere within an hour's drive of Bar Harbor.

heh, good luck with this one, unless of course you like riding into jetting rocks and chopped up storm surf 97% of the time.

York Beach is pretty much the cream of the crop for Maine surf. Might also want to check out Ogunquit beach, right at the mouth of the river, or Moody Beach just north of that.

Either way, have fun and take pics. I miss that place.

I'll be there in early September. It looks like there's a couple places where I might be able to find some decent surf - Sand Beach being one of them - right in Bar Harbor. I'll post a report if there's anything to write about.

I dont know anything about surfing, but I do know that Sand beach is about the only beach on acadia that doesnt have lots of really big pointy rocks all over the place. And you should buy a year long National Parks pass unless you want to pay 20 bucks each time you enter, but you probably already knew that.

Better check, but for some reason I seem to remember a no swimming sign when I was there last. Didnt stop me though. And holy mother of god, thats some cold water.

Thanks, Cant. They do allow swimming at Sand Beach, despite the fact that the water temps rarely rise above 55 degrees - but with a 3.4 suit, booties and gloves, it should be fine, just as long as they allow surfing there, too.

edit: just got an email back from Acadia National Park. Surfing is not allowed at Sand Beach. Bummer.
    Last edited by JMO; 05-11-2004 at 08:37 AM.

Originally posted by JMO

edit: just got an email back from Acadia National Park. Surfing is not allowed at Sand Beach. Bummer.

Just be super stealth about it. Moonlit surfing can be fun.

Might also want to try Mount Desert Island. I've seen people riding waves out there before and that area can get some decent swells.

Here are some shots I dug up of some downeast Maine surf:

why won't they allow surfing?
    fine

Not sure. The email simply said, no surfing allowed at Sand Beach.

i read something a while back about one of the public beaches over there banning surfing. a local got surfrider involved and walaa! surfing's allowed.
    fine