4-TEEF Guest

Canon 24-105 L for snow shooting

Looking for people with experience using this lens on snow with a 20D/30D/40D.

I've been shooting with a Canon 24-85 for the last 2 seasons. It has performed well and is sharp at f8 but it suffers from flare pretty badly and I would like to have the increased reach that the 105mm end provides.

So my main questions are:
    #1 - How does it handle flare and shooting into the sun?
    #2 - How sharp is it at the long end?
    #3 - Any other thoughts relating to using it on snow?

Thanks in advance.

it'll be better than what you have
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quick fix for shooting into the sun: Take the UV filter off. Even the expensive ones enhance the flare effect.

^yep and a lens hood should always be on your lens
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

It's also a fairly heavy lens for the focal length range, so you need to decide if you'll be comfortable with the weight. But it is solidly built, too and should take some abuse.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

But don't forget that heavy = durable.

4-TEEF Guest
    Thanks guys,

I'm always using the hood and I know that filters make it worse. It's not even just the actual flare that drives me nuts but the drop in color and contrast that happens even if the sun is "near" the edge of the frame.

Really just looking for the "I shoot one of those on snow all the time and it's awesome" endorsements to help me justify the $$.

Thanks again.

I shoot one of those on snow all the time and it's awesome. That's not true. After searching it though it looks like a fine lens. I cried when I realized I'm probably not coming anywhere close to getting something like that. Well, that's not really true either. But it does look nice.

Edit:
    I'm not sure if you've seen this site:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx
    It seems like theres an older version with the flare problems, but they changed the lens and reduced that problem.
    Last edited by Microcosm; 02-05-2008 at 08:50 PM.

4-TEEF - I am as well trying to psych myself up to get the 24-105 - the digital picture seems to be one of the best review sites and they have nothing but good things to say about it. The only thing coming close for me would be the 17-55 2.8 IS but I don't want an EF-S lens and the L build justifies any lack of sharpness the 24-105 has. And, yes, as Microcosm pointed out, it appears they have the flare under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Microcosm View Post
    I shoot one of those on snow all the time and it's awesome. That's not true. After searching it though it looks like a fine lens. I cried when I realized I'm probably not coming anywhere close to getting something like that. Well, that's not really true either. But it does look nice.
    wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    wait, what?
    Ignoring all the words I'm basically saying it looks pretty cool but I have no idea how it really works. Yeah...

I own a Canon 24-105 f4 L IS and have been very happy with it. No, it is not mind blowingly sharp, but very far from soft.

If you don't currently shoot 35mm film or full frame dSLR I would seriously consider the 17-55 2.8 IS. It's a great lens and just because it doesn't have a fancy red stripe on it doesn't mean the IQ is not on par with L series lenses. It's such a usuable lens. 1.6 crop dSLRs are not going away so I would not shy away from a lens just becasue it's EF-S. 1.6 has it's advantages and with the amount of them out there these days I wouldn't plan on them becoming irrelevant even as more full-frame dSLRs come out.