Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Particle, I would also try very hard to avoid the surgery and put it in the catagory of deal if you can. You will likely have more dislocations, but this surgery/rehab was the suck. If i had that option I woulda gone for it for at least a few years. Mine swelled so my knee was bigger than my head, I couldn't put any weight whatsoever on the knee 10 days later so really didn't have a choice. I skied one legged about 200 yards down in 20 yard increments, but skiing one legged on Praxis blows, and my busted knee was just fucked. I could hardly get back in the ski using my arms to pop the bindings since I couldn't put any weight on it whatsoever. My lower leg felt detached from my upper leg...

It sounds like when yours dislocates it at least doesn't do as much damage as when it happened to me. That is definitely the good news.

Good luck mang.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Thanks dude, good to hear the confirmation. We talked to an ortho friend of ours and she said it's pretty rare to need surgery for a patellar dislocation. Some swelling but nothing like what you had, that sounds awful. Just a bizarre feeling having your joint totally in the wrong place eh?!

Thanks again for the beta.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Well I popped it out again, after healing up nicely, 3 weeks after the fact. Surgery just scheduled to release the other side of the patella a bit and even things out in a couple weeks. Oh joy. And yeah comish, definitely didn't do near as much damage. My knee is pissed off at me again, with at most 90-deg ROM, but I think it'll be OK. 6-8 week recovery, I can handle that.

Hi there, I was wondering if you have heard of the method that I have had done:

I had an emergency operation done 2 weeks ago to repair my mpfl following a kneecap dislocation 2 weeks prior, but I am puzzled how they have done it.

They went in key hole to have a clean up and then they opened it up on the inside of my right knee (probably about 5cm), not down the middle of the knee which I thought was unusual.

Anyway the repair I had done was carried out by stitching the ligament back together, and then the scar tissue will make it strong, apparently.

I cant find much information on this at all and was wondering if you have ever come across it?

Im worried that I am laid up after an operation that possibly isnt that successful.

Many thanks for any replies

^^ better late than never, but that is basically what I had done from your description.
    He who has the most fun wins!

For the record, my surgery (lateral release) went well, fast recovery and am now back to riding and racing big bikes and skiing as hard as ever. No probs with the patella since surgery.

Thumbs up

Last time I accidentally saw a website to sell cheap nike air max shoes website. Went in and saw how cheap. Shoes are beautiful. Is shared to everyone. Website is www.deal-shoe.com
    Nike Air Max,Air Max 90,95,Air Max LTD are best-selling shoes in Nike Air Max Online Store,they are all the newest as well as the best Nike Air Max,new balance,adidas adicolor.

Just want to thank all who contributed to this thread... I bumped into this forum by accident when I was researching for MPFL recon. I cannot believe that what happened in 2008 still applies. While my doc/ OS is somewhat lack of communications, i learned from everything documented here.

Kneecap dislocated 6/14
    MPFL recon 6/26
    Manipulation 9/11
    Wailing everyday since 6/14...

Retinaculum too...going to try regenerative therapies

Hi all,
    8 years since this thread was started...wow! So glad I found it.

I had a meniscal repair in January, 2002 and a menisectomy on the same spot in October, 2015. It's been 5 months and I still can't run. Walking causes pain and swelling. I am skiing though, so that's excellent news. ROM is good if not perfect. I am healthy and VERY active.

I saw the third doctor last week (surgeon said get a second opinion when I called to talk about swelling and second doc just gave me a cortisone injection). This doctor did a diagnostic ultrasound and said the meniscus is bulging, patellar tendon is thickened, and retinaculum is "severe". I had 3 prolotherapy injections on February 9 and am scheduled for PRP March 15. I am not sure that prolotherapy or PRP were around in 2008. They are both experimental, not covered by insurance, and aimed at regenerating the structures that are broken down.

Since regenerative therapies haven't been discussed for this injury, I wanted to throw that out there. I'm not supposed to judge prolo until 3 or 4 weeks passes, but I think it's already doing some good. Will update when I have PRP too.