Solitude - Deep pow and an ACL Story(not mine)

So my buddy Jim calls last night and says the road to BCC will close for avie control this morning and that I'm welcome to drive up to his house early to get the lifts at 9. About 40 people or so skied Soli yesterday so I had to head up. (twisting my arm)

Get up here early, connect online and work for a couple of hours until the lifts open. We are two of about 10 people on the mountain from what I estimated. Spun a couple of Powder Horn laps and Headwall off the Summit Lift. We decide to hike Evergreen for some chute fun and deep untracked (40+ in the past 3 days)

Get to the top, Jim offers me firsts down skiers left of Double Barrel. It's tits! Thigh deep (I'm 6'4") Utah blow me pow. I pull up just shy of the mandatory and wait for Jim. Second turn in he blows ACL. No sled is going to get him here so he manages to traverse about 150 yards with his blown knee as the downhill leg.

We get to an open slope that's untouched and he turns to me and says, "Give me your camera." I'm like, "Huh? Bro, let's get you down to the flats for a sled ride."

He insists. There's no talking him out of it.

Evidence:

Did I mention is was bluebird? It's snowing hard now. I love 2008.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Thumbs up

Finally some pics! Alright!

Oh Yeah!
    Me amo solitude!
    Props to your wounded comrade, Jim!

Saw this one yesterday...

Nice Kendall. You da whore.

Uh, Jim K? Bummer!

Nice photos, though.

puffys are for pussys
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Dude!! I can't believe Jim blew his knee. That blows...really. Pass along my vibes to him. Sick shots buddy. I told you that little gem over on Evergreen was $$$$$.
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    puffys are for pussys
    So how many do you own???

Hey man, thanks for the kind email the other day. Can't recall if I ever got back to you and then I left for Costa Rica so it's all a blur. Hope you're well, essay.
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Uh, Jim K? Bummer!
    Yep. He's in SLC getting an MRI. Me, I'm "working" from his house here in the village. Offered to drive but he wouldn't have it. A trooper and a class act.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    puffys are for pussys
    It's not a puffy beyotch. I'm just so buff that it looks like I'm in a puffy. Or that I was going so fast with the vents open....ah, forget it.
    Last edited by powstash; 01-31-2008 at 03:37 PM.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Ah...one of those bitter/sweet stories. Great snow...blown knee. It makes me happy and sad at the same time.

K, next time you're up at Soli., you've got to look skifishbum up. That dood is always looking for someone to make turns with.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    K, next time you're up at Soli., you've got to look skifishbum up. That dood is always looking for someone to make turns with.
    Yea, we saw him on the top of Evergreen. After that I was waiting at the bottom of the summit lift as they were taking buddy Jim down and SFB rolls up. I give him the story and he says, "Nothing you can do for him now except go ski more pow." So we punch it all the way out on Honeycomb for some untouched goodness. For an old guy he can sure hike/ski/traverse like he's 25.

ACL's are overated anyway.

With 40" freshies and a little duct tape, good as new.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by powstash View Post
    For an old guy he can sure hike/ski/traverse like he's 25.
    He ain't old, he just got left out in the weather a bit.

Solitude was money today, sorry I couldn't take a lap with you SFB, my buddy John had to go to work. Probably be up there tomorrow as well, I made a mistake not getting a Mon-Thurs pass at Soli this year. Sorry to hear about your buddy Powstash, pics are fkna sick though.

K, nice Bluehouse stoke. That day the picture whorehey put up was taken was also a titties bluebird pow day. Way to get after it, and vibes to your buddy.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Yeah, not a bad day at Solitude. I've got over 6' of snow on my deck here in the village. Powderhorn at 8:50 for me tomorrow - anyone else?

I'm thinking Solitude could definitely be the place to be tomorrow.

Any predictions on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Any predictions on the road?
    Looks pretty dicey. Big will probably open for a while early but who knows. Little looks unpossible until late, but again, how the fuck do I know?

Holy shit the firehose is on for now at least.

Having trouble finding a number to call in the morning, anyone here know?

North of South, South of North, West of East
    Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    Having trouble finding a number to call in the morning, anyone here know?
    If you are not packing the car and getting ready to leave right about now then you are too late.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

So if you beat the road closing for avi work, and make it up to the hill, is the lodge open? Can you chill with your laptop and a coffee?
    Do you end up just sitting in your car in the lot for a couple hours?

Quote Originally Posted by teledave View Post
    If you are not packing the car and getting ready to leave right about now then you are too late.
    Wow if it weren't for your advice there's no way I would have been able to do this!

Soli today == sicketer. Face shots every turn. Wow!

Hope you mofos are getting some laps in on those soft rocker bros, cause I forgot I promised them to mtnlion and they gotta go north.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Those skis have been out every day since you left. CDLV is takin em cat skiing today. I'm driving up Revelstoke way the end of the month. Where's
    Mntloin at?
    JK is damn good peeps that sucks his season is probably over.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno