Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    i have to give credit where credit is due. during one of the mike'd clinics at Ouray, some dude was climbing and talking about tools. that was his phrase. "leashes only belong in the bedroom these days." true, true.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    I dont use straps for a lot of the reasons above. Then I lost a pole and replaced it with one that has straps. So I use one strap and one non-strap. Pointless, huh? I stopped by salvo the other day though and picked up a pair of those poles with the big plastic hand wraparound thing. It is flexy and has a gap in the middle, so if they get torqued too much they will fall off. Perfect compromise.
    exactly what kind of straps i have

The straps on my Life-Link poles are attached to little tabs that release from the pole when you pull really hard. Sort of like DIN bindings for your straps. I had them get pulled out a few time when skiing through trees or pole planting on buried bushes, and have been very glad that I didn't dislocate a shoulder.

Life-Link

Life-Link is currently dead. (or barely breathing)
    Hopefully the new (Bozeman?) owners will do something respectable with the brand....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

quick, mister rideit. you do cpr. i'll call 911!
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

I'll jump up and down on the chest of your avatar, you do the rest.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=110168 explanation. her face was wayyyy too buttery to be included in the avatar. but i think this was a good crop job
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

Hugh Conway Guest
    I'll jump up and down on the chest of your avatar, you do the rest.
    eh? we head to you for fellation and handjobs

Not specifically mentioned, but inferred, but no straps in the tress either.

I ski most of the time w/o , but if I am with a group of faster skiers inbounds I use them, just so I don't waste time side stepping up to get a pole after a fall.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I gave up on pole straps after getting caught in a avalanche, those things will beat you up good as you get tossed around in the "washing machine". A new set of poles is cheaper than a trip to the ER for puncture wounds or broken bones.
    I don't like being outdoors Smithers, for one thing, there's too many fat children.

- Mr. Burns

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    They're called straps, and not using them is the common protocol in avalanche terrain.

Which is why Blurred never uses his LesboStrap 9000 in the BC.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

The straps are good for hanging my poles from a nail in the garage.

"This leash demeans us both."

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

I'm dissapointed... 28 hours and 38 posts discussing straps and not a single reference to the LS9000.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    I'm dissapointed... 28 hours and 38 posts discussing straps and not a single reference to the LS9000.
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post

just heard in an avy lecture that current thoughts are changing, and that if you keep your pole straps ON, it may lead to an easier rescue, even if your shoulder is jacked. Point being that the pole may break the surface in a deep burial, and if it is still attached to your arm, it is easier to find you!

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    just heard in an avy lecture that current thoughts are changing, and that if you keep your pole straps ON, it may lead to an easier rescue, even if your shoulder is jacked. Point being that the pole may break the surface in a deep burial, and if it is still attached to your arm, it is easier to find you!
    and prevent you from forming an air pocket. 2nd hand accounts tell me they are fucking anchors. I'd like to see an ergo grip design that provides more support and replaces the strap. straps are also nice for attaching your poles to your back if you are doing any raps or rope work.

I've used the grips on these to attach them to my pack during plenty of hairball shit. They're not quite as good for skinning as leashes, but I don't mind.

EG...

What's up Jfost? I was there too. IMZ and I were the obnoxious slednecks in the front left of the class. Where were you?

Quote Originally Posted by skibuminwyo View Post
    oh yes... you noticed? leashes belong in the bedroom.
    That's where straps belong, too.

Mine have the tear away straps. I keep 'em on.
    Haven't had a problem yet, knock on wood.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by s.p.c View Post
    constantly on the look out for mamacitas without their poles straps on. pretend i am at the top of the terrain park - yell "dropping!" and accidentally knock their poles out of their hands.

from there it is a win win situation, you either stop, and watch the young lass bend down for her poles (bonus if she falls, or you can't stop and accidentally run in to her) or you pick up the pole you caused her to drop and look like a gentleman.
    touche. touche.

Best quote of the day by far

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'd like to see an ergo grip design that provides more support and replaces the strap. straps are also nice for attaching your poles to your back if you are doing any raps or rope work.
    Swix came out with something they call a wishbone system a few years back. I have some loose ones of those laying around. I'll see if I can take a picture later tonight.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I use the pole straps, but don't put it around my wrist. Just slip your fingers (not thumb) through and grab the grip- the strap lies between your palm and the grip. You can still let go of the pole and not lose it, but without a strap around your wrist it can slide right off when you need it to. Give it a whirl, eh
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Strange....

Who is teaching that idea???
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"