achillies bursitis

i recently had to stop snowboarding because of pain and inflammation to the achillies....(i did not notice any one moment where this started)

i basically have a knot on the back of my achilles tendon right over my heel...after talking to a few people, one of which a doctor, it seems that this is bursitis and not a tear in the achillies......i iced it and took advil for a week and a half and the swelling went down so i thought ok were set to go again....just in walking to the lift i knew that i could not snowboard....the next day the swelling was back along with the pain.....now after a week in on the icing and advil routine i am wondering how long does this take to go away?

thanks
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

lots of stretching for the calf and achillies, Ice after activity, Anti-inflammatories. Temp heel lift in your walking shoes and boots.

Get a script for rehab, ionto and ultrasound.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

is there any timetable for something like this.....it is powder and i am really tempted to go ride for a little bit.....thinking that if this is a long recooping injury maybe i could just pick my days and deal with this in the non powder times

funny thing is it doesn't hurt while snowboarding, just while walking to the chairlift

I don't knuckledrag, but there is prolly more achillies action( i.e. pushing off) during walking that with riding.

I would say ride and deal with it as you go unless if becomes a constat thing. Controlling it with heat/ice/anti-inflammatories might be enough. IF not go to your doc and get a Rx for rehab, ultrasound, iontophoresis, stretching etc....
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

went out today for a little bit....the pain was somewhat tolerable....iced and took advils...looking to take another week or so off (with ice and ibuprofin)...the bursitus has not gone away at all, but the swelling goes mostly down after a couple of days and isn't to bad to deal with during normal day to day activities

i didn't really like the fact that i was second guessing today on the hill....it was great out there and want to be back to normal form

If you don't give it a rest, it will haunt you for quite a long time.............

Mine reared its ugly head at 28 (along with Plantar Fascia) and I am still dealing with it off and on at 38 due to playing soccer at the time and my inability to stay off my feet for the period of time needed to get it under control.

Along with the strecthing, icing, vitamin I, ultra..., etc- One thing I have found that really aggravates the injury is pressure- find a way to alleviate some of the pressure back there.

I developed one this summer from running. Remedies have been well covered already, and it does take a long time for it to go away completely, if ever. One thing that helped a lot was some padded adhesive felt that a podiatrist gave me. I cut a "donut" out of it and placed it in my shoe so that the hole lined up with the effected area. I did a pretty good job of relieving the pressure and thus reducing pain (I ran a marathon a few weeks later).

Another interesting thing the podiatrist told me, for most bursitis they can just inject it with cortisone and it will go away in a few days. But, your achilles has such poor blood flow there that the cortisone will weaken the tendon so badly that you are pretty much guaranteed to rupture it.

I developed a left heel bursitis last year and it cut my season short. Still haven't recovered for this winter, it's about 50% better I'd say but still noticeable with almost every step. Have started stretching it, should ice it more.

My doctor told me a similar thing, that it's dangerous to do cortizone injection in the heel for I think a few reasons. I took a pack of prednisone pills that may have helped a little but nothing dramatic. It hurts when my left heel is lifting up off the ground. I'll try the ole moleskin patch cutout thing, seems like that might help me alot.

I got mine knuckledraggin' as they say, slamming into a hard collapsed ice shelf in a hole i flew into.