Page 334 of 472 FirstFirst ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,350 of 11780
    I haven’t been hit by a safety bar since about 2015. Clusterfuck at loading gate so I snaked onto a chair (quad) with only two (ladies). Took the far left position to make sure they had plenty of room.

Nanoseconds before it’s time to sit down I hear “I’m getting on” and feel a shoulder or elbow in the ribs - hard enough to hop-step me to the right. I look over and this small middle aged lady is now on my left. As my butt touched the bench and without warning she dropped the bar, bouncing it off my helmet and slamming the handle into the meat of my inner thigh.

I said “Ow”
    She said “That’s my space”
    I said in my friendliest voice “have you been laid lately? I’m not offering but it might help your aggro attitude”

The rest of the chair ride was kinda quiet...

This conversation happened at Sugarloaf two weeks ago when I was riding a lift with another man:
    Him: So, where are you from?
    Me: Well, I go to school here, but I'm originally from [small first-world Asian country; not Japan]
    Him: Yeah, must be a better deal here, that place is a ****hole.
    Me: Well, it's not that bad...
    Him: ...you must get sick of all the sushi.
    Me (in my mind): Well, actually...

Another person I rode up the lift with, not so much of a gaper, was a snowboarder talking to his friend plotting ways to jib and grind literally everything he saw from the lift - has anybody actually ground a snowmaking pipe and not gotten caught on the spigots? I also had the pleasure of riding up the #3 T-Bar with a woman who was using it incorrectly, trying to make a stem turn the whole way up, and blamed me and got really nervous whenever I tried to carve to restabilise us (I'd ridden it with a small child before without any problems).

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I’ve been skiing for more than 40 years. In that time, I’ve been on chairs with blatantly racist assholes, clueless newbies who wanted to learn, clueless newbies who refused to learn, ear-bud addicts who ignored me, one-weekend-a-year-skiers who were so damn EXCITED about the 2” of pow; you name it. In that time, I don’t think anyone has hit me with the safety bar, not once. Is this really a thing? Don’t you have any sense of propreoception?
    I'm 6'4" and unless I'm arching my back over the chair back, or ducking my head to the side, the bar will hit my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by tango uniform View Post
    I wait to clear the wheel house, then just say " comin down" while I'm pulling it down.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Can't wait a few seconds to let folks settle in, even out their spacing etc?

Damn, you that scared of falling off you gotta knowingly pull the bar down on people's heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I’ve been skiing for more than 40 years. In that time, I’ve been on chairs with blatantly racist assholes, clueless newbies who wanted to learn, clueless newbies who refused to learn, ear-bud addicts who ignored me, one-weekend-a-year-skiers who were so damn EXCITED about the 2” of pow; you name it. In that time, I don’t think anyone has hit me with the safety bar, not once. Is this really a thing? Don’t you have any sense of propreoception?
    Same here. I've been close to getting hit a couple of times, I just put my hand up and stop it...

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I'm 6'4" and unless I'm arching my back over the chair back, or ducking my head to the side, the bar will hit my head.

Can't wait a few seconds to let folks settle in, even out their spacing etc?

Damn, you that scared of falling off you gotta knowingly pull the bar down on people's heads?
    No, just an old prick.

I like to raise the bar way before the top terminal just to fuck with the people who smashed my nuts with the bar the second we loaded the chair.

I get using the bar if you've got some little ones with you, or maybe if yer gittin old. But at my local hill, I'm always surprised when someone asks to lower the bar. Took a trip to Idaho though and wow, lets just say y'all are real safe out there!

The safety bar is only for resting your feet. If you lower a safety bar without footrests, you are a scaredy-cat who is afraid of heights; there is no other possible explanation*.

*Unless lowering the bar is mandatory where you're skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieWater View Post
    I get using the bar if you've got some little ones with you, or maybe if yer gittin old. But at my local hill, I'm always surprised when someone asks to lower the bar. Took a trip to Idaho though and wow, lets just say y'all are real safe out there!
    Nah, it's just that we can spot a true gaper a mile away. No telling what sort of stupid shit you might do.

I need it to take pressure off my low back and to calm my knees down. Also, bridging my poles across the back of the chair and the bar if there's no ski/foot pegs helps me maintain good posture by placing them in my arm pit and leaning on them.

If skiing on a weekend, I of course wait for most of the fidgeting to stop before I grab the bar; my que signaling to hurry the fuck up.

Getting back on topic, I heard some funny shit a few weeks back on a Saturday.

I ended up on a quad with 3 young teenage racers doing drills. I'd say they were 12-14sh in age; prime "wise ass" years. After a few minutes I noticed they we're getting really excited and loud and laughing their balls off. So I pull an ear bud out, and I find that they're heckling skiers below, yelling shit like" that's not how you ski". They would pick someone out by saying "look at this fucking retard, oh my god, what a fuck up" ! I mean they were literally screaming this shit at people! I had to join in the fun by pointing out some gappers for them. By the time we got off, I was in tears.

A great laugh like that really makes your day, I often still chuckle about it.

Quote Originally Posted by passengerpigeon View Post
    The safety bar is only for resting your feet. If you lower a safety bar without footrests, you are a scaredy-cat who is afraid of heights; there is no other possible explanation*.

Come ski Squaw on a windy day and ride Red Dog... you will change your mind about that.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Come ski Squaw on a windy day and ride Red Dog... you will change your mind about that.
    Skiing up in WA nowdays, id forgotten how scary lift rides can be in wind. For whatever reason we just dont get wind in storms like down in Tahoe (there are exceptions obviously). I remember almost every storm day being full of white knuckle chair lift rides where you were hoping the chair wouldnt get put on temp wind hold with you on it.

Maybe tahoe (specifically Alpine and kwood) just used to run chairs in much stronger winds than most other places? Maybe its the few thousand feet in elevation difference between the two? Maybe my memory sucks. IDK.

It's the terrain & location that creates high winds @ the big blue. Unlike the Evergreen state that has a more pronounced Martime environment.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

A few years back someone was sucked off the KT lift at Squaw when the Fingers slid. Ever since I've always put the bar down on storm days. Also it tends to become a habit if you ride with kids a lot.

I hate bars
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

My personal take:
    If I close my eyes, the bar is down. If I am tired and want to rest my hands, the bar is down. If there are kids on the chair, If the chair stops and starts more than once, the bar goes down. If it is crazy windy, the bar stays down.
    Chair 23 at Mammoth needs a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    My personal take:

This, I will not let my daughters ride it when it’s windy. Surprised I don’t know anyone who’s been pulled off this lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukesno View Post
    This, I will not let my daughters ride it when it’s windy. Surprised I don’t know anyone who’s been pulled off this lift.
    Chair rides rarely bother me, but Chair 23 is high, goes over a rock spine, usually is windy and the seat seems to slant forward.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    This. I find myself involuntarily reaching behind the seat with one arm and wrapping my wrist around to hold on.

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by passengerpigeon View Post

I am admittedly a pussy when it comes to heights, but that is seldom my reason for the bar. I like to rest on it. Foot rest is a bonus, but I'm all about maximizing my bar lounging sloth. And make now mistake, even though I asked, that bar is coming down.

Yet w all my barffection, I still get clobbered about once a season. And it is always by some nimrod pulling it down while we are still in the wheelhouse. There's a strong correlation w these people attempting to bring the bar up several towers too early. I deploy the heavy passive aggressive lean as well to the very fucking last minute. But I still love the BAR DOWN!!!

That one doesn't phase me too much, but getting sideways in the wind on the old Siberia chair 40' above the flats? That is bar inducing for pretty much anyone

I’ve been sideways on a chair once with another patroller and packs full of bombs. Not very fun.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I’ve been sideways on a chair once with another patroller and packs full of bombs. Not very fun.
    Oh my... that’s a whole other level. If you feel yourself falling do you throw the packs or do whatever you can to avoid landing on them? I’m sure some version of this discussion must have entered your mind...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

This. I find myself involuntarily reaching behind the seat with one arm and wrapping my wrist around to hold on.
    Word.
    Plus it's a triple, isn't it?
    3 of you in backpacks, one a snowboarder, man it sux to be in the middle.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I'm surprised, that with our fucked up tort laws in the US, insurance companies allow resorts to operate lifts with the bars removed.

I agree, whole heartedly, that the pucker factor can be high while on one. I would be downright scared if in the middle position with a backpack.