Page 309 of 472 FirstFirst ... 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 ... LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,725 of 11780
    Saw a Darwin Awards candidate - guy with his wife and two young kids (10-12 years old?) heading out the gate off of the tram at Jackson. Of course, no packs and obviously no knowledge. Really sad seeing somebody put their family (and SAR folks) at risk like that...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Screw the parents but with two kids involved I would have politely asked if they knew what they were doing?? Stopped a couple of teenagers last year starting to hike out to Rocky Point from Alta. I was headed back and they were ducking the boundary rope. They were not local and just did not know any better. They see plenty of tracks, people coming and going and just don't understand, they changed their mind.

I was hiking the Bowl at Aspen Highlands on Tuesday and came across a distraught, pudgy asian guy with no skis/poles about 3/4 of the way up. In broken english he asked: "Have you seen my skis? No, sorry man "Are there any skis farther down the trail?" uh... no. I continued hiking and he proceeds to wander off the bootpack and wallow in knee-waist deep windrifts looking for his skis near a patrol cache. At one point he lays face down in the snow for 10-15sec while his GF is screaming in chinese for him to come back up top.

At the top his frantic GF had given her bedazzled iphone to some guy who was now talking to Highlands patrol. Turns out someone had offered to carry the BF's skis up (40-60+min hike for tourists), but when they eventually topped out, the skis weren't there. It took them so long to hike up that the good Samaritan eventually descended the Bowl with the guys skis and took them back to patrol HQ, assuming they'd given up.

Patrol was going to send a pair of skis up for the guy with their final sweep crew, meaning the couple had another 30+min wait on top. These two clearly had no business hiking or skiing the Bowl; I can only imagine the joy that Patrol had "guiding" them down. I was drinking beer at the base 90min after I descended and never saw them show.

That is a wonderful story.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    At Vail this weekend I rode up with a woman who was speaking in a heavy Liverpool British accent. She was talking about living in the UK to the other people on the chair. I just listened and didn’t say anything.

Later in the day I went up the singles line and got onto the chair with the same lady from earlier. She didn’t recognize me and started talking to the people on the chair in a Russian sounding accent, and she told the people on the chair that she was from Denmark. I immediately called her out on her bullshit and told her that I had rode up the chair earlier in the day when she pretended to be from the UK. In perfect American English she replied “that wasn’t me”

I can only assume this woman gets a kick out of practicing fake accents on the chair? Maybe she is legitimately crazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wasn't there a jaded local article about having fun making up your life story on the lift when riding as a single?
    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Just let her be. Sounds hilarious to me. Monty Python style

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Seriously, making up your life story and fake accents are classic chairlift shenanigans with a captive audience. Only gapers call those beautiful folks out... anyone with a sense of humor plays along and sets them up as much as they can.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Seriously, making up your life story and fake accents are classic chairlift shenanigans with a captive audience. Only gapers call those beautiful folks out... anyone with a sense of humor plays along and sets them up as much as they can.
    OTOH, the guy was skiing at Vail during the holidays, which would probably try anyone's patience. Wait...why ski Vail during the holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    OTOH, the guy was skiing at Vail during the holidays, which would probably try anyone's patience. Wait...why ski Vail during the holidays?
    That's so Vail.

Agreed. I've done this on occasion and have definitely heard others do the same, sometimes with a nod or a wink when they can tell you're on to them but the other people on the chair are hooked.

Not my photo but this is amazing. Yesterday at Alpine Meadows...

Name:  alpinecat.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  72.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

Just popped up on jerry of the day!

OMFG, a hard shelled case for a cat??? Looks like space cat is watching you from above if it gets launched into orbit.

Ha!

I totally should have played along but I couldn’t resist the urge to call her out. Her reaction was pretty funny and we all had a good laugh on the chair about it.

I say no harm done

Cat says I'm going to shit in your ski boot.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    At Vail this weekend I rode up with a woman who was speaking in a heavy Liverpool British accent. She was talking about living in the UK to the other people on the chair. I just listened and didn’t say anything.

Later in the day I went up the singles line and got onto the chair with the same lady from earlier. She didn’t recognize me and started talking to the people on the chair in a Russian sounding accent, and she told the people on the chair that she was from Denmark. I immediately called her out on her bullshit and told her that I had rode up the chair earlier in the day when she pretended to be from the UK. In perfect American English she replied “that wasn’t me”

I can only assume this woman gets a kick out of practicing fake accents on the chair? Maybe she is legitimately crazy?
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Wasn't there a jaded local article about having fun making up your life story on the lift when riding as a single?
    Quote Originally Posted by delco714 View Post
    Just let her be. Sounds hilarious to me. Monty Python style

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure my girlfriend is gonna do that at least once this year. She already has the pack... and the cat.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    That's so Vail.
    I dunno. Sorta Taos.

Yeah, you know, takes some talent to go from Liverpool to Russian to how many other accents she does. Maybe an actress practicing? Sort of a speed drill practice for auditions. "Quick, do a housewife from Liverpool, you only have eight minutes. Go!"
    More fun than 90% of conversations on lifts with strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    "Quick, do a housewife from Liverpool, you only have eight minutes. Go!"
    Post pub rabbit style!

this seems to fit in here ...

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    and yeah, a lot of the carving happens on the blue groomers.

Agreed. I've done this on occasion and have definitely heard others do the same, sometimes with a nod or a wink when they can tell you're on to them but the other people on the chair are hooked.
    Haha, I do it too, SOP on lifts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	219955

fake accents are classic chairlift shenanigans with a captive audience.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by raueda1 View Post
    Haha, I do it too, SOP on lifts.
    My best work so far this year was a few weeks ago in Mammoth. Explained that I was working under Meuller for the Trump / Russia investigation and I was out there following a money trail connected to some expensive real estate in town, and decided to sneak in a few hours of skiing since I came all that way. I may have let a few juicy details leak during that ride up Stump Express. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jckstein View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	1,012.1 KB 
ID:	219955
    Helps with the downforce...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Wasn't there just a thread about whether to carry your cat on your chest or your back?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    I was hiking the Bowl at Aspen Highlands on Tuesday and came across a distraught, pudgy asian guy with no skis/poles about 3/4 of the way up. In broken english he asked: "Have you seen my skis? No, sorry man "Are there any skis farther down the trail?" uh... no. I continued hiking and he proceeds to wander off the bootpack and wallow in knee-waist deep windrifts looking for his skis near a patrol cache. At one point he lays face down in the snow for 10-15sec while his GF is screaming in chinese for him to come back up top.

At the top his frantic GF had given her bedazzled iphone to some guy....
    ASIDs.

I work at a VT mtn that gets a lot of business from bus tours out of NYC and Beantown full of these folks. They book a package including rentals (always rentals). Most speak little English, most have no clue about skiing. Weekends and holiday weeks we can always count on distress calls for taxi rides down green groomers from Asian Skiers In Distress.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums