Page 400 of 471 FirstFirst ... 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... LastLast
Results 9,976 to 10,000 of 11762
    Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    Not a quote ,more less a rant at a clueless Gaper Grandpa . Or alternate story title "Old man yells at cloud"

Friday night I take my teenager out to a local East Pa. Molehill . I drop him and our equipment off and after a 15 minute fruitless parking hunt give up an park in the far end of the lot . After walking some distance a school bus pulls up and on cue 150 kids with all there shit pile out . Reminded me of playing frogger . Only saving grace is I'm headed for guest services.

Young kid at the counter gets us out with little delay . Walk up to the long line out the end of the cattle chute and notice no lights on in the loading area??? Half the quad chairs have one ,two people WTF!!! We take another run and the lines still bullshit . My son and I are getting close to the loading area and I notice two kids and motion for them to file in ......Kid says I'm going with theses guys WTF? more empty chairs@@#$%^ .An hour later Still no lights on.

An hour later I'm in line again and notice Grandpa with a 5yr old and ask to pair up. A second later I see how he's holding his poles and Immediately have a regret. We get to the loading line and I see Jr hand grandpa something ? He starts trying to stuff it in his pocket . My son and I move onto the ramp ...No grandpa ? I Look back and he's still fumbling.... Jr start to move but too late . He gets hammered hard by the char and flung against the opposite side bar and is being pulled underneath. I lunge over and grab his coat by the chest and pull him up onto the seat. Grandpas grabs the chair and his pulling the chair back!@#$%^Y&()). Lifty had a rake and didn't see what happened . I'm yelling shutdown!!!!!!.

Granda climbs up and loads with one ski in his hand and whippers "Thank you" I didn't say a word up.

The kid was OK ...Other lifty stopped the chair and asked what happened ? I say grandpa was fumbling with something ....Granpa does his best "No I wasn't " . I hope Jr Rats you out and Grandma kicks your ass into next week " Dick head !"

An hour later I get off the lift and hear a commotion behind me . I look back and see Jr's ski on the middle of the unload ramp .

I shut the hell up and the rest of the night ...screw empty chairs I'll wait .
    Tl;dr

Quote Originally Posted by AirheadD8 View Post
    Not a quote ,more less a rant at a clueless Gaper Grandpa . Or alternate story title "Old man yells at cloud"

Friday night I take my teenager out to a local East Pa. Molehill . I drop him and our equipment off and after a 15 minute fruitless parking hunt give up an park in the far end of the lot . After walking some distance a school bus pulls up and on cue 150 kids with all there shit pile out . Reminded me of playing frogger . Only saving grace is I'm headed for guest services.

Young kid at the counter gets us out with little delay . Walk up to the long line out the end of the cattle chute and notice no lights on in the loading area??? Half the quad chairs have one ,two people WTF!!! We take another run and the lines still bullshit . My son and I are getting close to the loading area and I notice two kids and motion for them to file in ......Kid says I'm going with theses guys WTF? more empty chairs@@#$%^ .An hour later Still no lights on.

An hour later I'm in line again and notice Grandpa with a 5yr old and ask to pair up. A second later I see how he's holding his poles and Immediately have a regret. We get to the loading line and I see Jr hand grandpa something ? He starts trying to stuff it in his pocket . My son and I move onto the ramp ...No grandpa ? I Look back and he's still fumbling.... Jr start to move but too late . He gets hammered hard by the char and flung against the opposite side bar and is being pulled underneath. I lunge over and grab his coat by the chest and pull him up onto the seat. Grandpas grabs the chair and his pulling the chair back!@#$%^Y&()). Lifty had a rake and didn't see what happened . I'm yelling shutdown!!!!!!.

Granda climbs up and loads with one ski in his hand and whippers "Thank you" I didn't say a word up.

The kid was OK ...Other lifty stopped the chair and asked what happened ? I say grandpa was fumbling with something ....Granpa does his best "No I wasn't " . I hope Jr Rats you out and Grandma kicks your ass into next week " Dick head !"

An hour later I get off the lift and hear a commotion behind me . I look back and see Jr's ski on the middle of the unload ramp .

I shut the hell up and the rest of the night ...screw empty chairs I'll wait .
    Let's see--the gaper is a) grandpa, b) lift op who wasn't paying attention (see the death at Vail thread, or c) the guy who can't say you're welcome or something like it when grandpa says thank you, but is happy to rat him out to the lift op?

As far as old man yelling at cloud--I assume you mean yourself. Sounds like you started the evening in a bad mood and kept it going. But thanks for helping the kid. Obviously the 5 year old was more than the gentleman could handle.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Let's see--the gaper is a) grandpa, b) lift op who wasn't paying attention (see the death at Vail thread, or c) the guy who can't say you're welcome or something like it when grandpa says thank you, but is happy to rat him out to the lift op?

As far as old man yelling at cloud--I assume you mean yourself. Sounds like you started the evening in a bad mood and kept it going. But thanks for helping the kid. Obviously the 5 year old was more than the gentleman could handle.

Correct with grandpa being the gaper. I don't blame the lifty he was doing a good job with the rake . I didn't acknowledge the thank you because I was afraid I wouldn't stop with you're welcome I was really shaken up by what I just saw . The little guy was bent in half backwards . Lifty deserved an honest explanation of what happened . Grandpas "Hey I'll take Jr skiing" literally endangered his life ,he had no business taking him out with the lack of skills.

Correct I'm the old man . I still had fun anyway after all it's skiing .
    "It's only steep if you're backseat"

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Her: "Went to shit meaning no snow or too much snow?".
    That kind of thinking may not be as uncommon as one would think.

True story. Whiteface has a pretty good ticket policy. If within the first hour of skiing you find that conditions are not to your liking you can turn your ticket in and they’ll give you a voucher to come back another day before the end of the season. I’ve used that policy myself to turn in a ticket on a shit icy day with lifts on wind hold and limited terrain, but I digress. MLK weekend 2019 we hit the mother load. On top of a decent base they get like 18 inches on Saturday night. I’m in heaven on Sunday, powder and cut up powder all day long.

My older brother? He and his family turned their tickets in for vouchers. Too much snow! I bet the guest services staff got a chuckle out of that one. When my two oldest and I were skiing 41 inches in 36 hours at Crystal earlier this year we kept joking about how Uncle #%^ would turn his ticket in! To each his/her own, I s’pose.

Scene: eastern local small vert hill, like a total learner's place, riding the lifts to kill some time while my 7 and 5 year olds are in their lessons. Most of the time I meet other expert skiing dentists who are doing the exact same thing.

This time a little different. Some dude and his wife, new to skiing I assume, she's talking about how she'd like to go out west to try skiing at one of those cool looking resorts she's heard about. He says that with the amount of snow they get out there, the skiing is really difficult and he prefers to just stay here since "they pack it all down." I had to turn and look at this guy - yep, mouth breather.

I like to think he just wants to save a few grand on a ski trip until they get really good.

Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Scene: eastern local small vert hill, like a total learner's place, riding the lifts to kill some time while my 7 and 5 year olds are in their lessons. Most of the time I meet other expert skiing dentists who are doing the exact same thing.

This time a little different. Some dude and his wife, new to skiing I assume, she's talking about how she'd like to go out west to try skiing at one of those cool looking resorts she's heard about. He says that with the amount of snow they get out there, the skiing is really difficult and he prefers to just stay here since "they pack it all down." I had to turn and look at this guy - yep, mouth breather.

I like to think he just wants to save a few grand on a ski trip until they get really good.
    The first pow day after I moved from Seattle to SVT was midweek so I didn’t get over to Bromley until 10am or so. On the walk from the lot, a couple was already leaving and I asked about conditions. They said how much snow there was and when I asked why there were leaving, they explained how hard it was to ski in deep snow and how they are only used to skiing when you can hear the ice scratching under their skis.

Facepalm.

Smart dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    fthey explained how hard it was to ski in deep snow and how they are only used to skiing when you can hear the ice scratching under their skis.
    That'll be me if doesn't snow soon.

On parking lot bus at Copper with my chesty gopro mount still on.

Lady: so does that thing, like video you?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    On parking lot bus at Copper with my chesty gopro mount still on.

Lady: so does that thing, like video you?
    Um, wearing a Gopro at Copper?...

At least it wasn't up on the helmet, Telly Tubby style.

Man, a bunch if y’all sound like grumpy old men. Chill the fuck out and ski. It is fun dammit. I could quote half you you in this very thread. Gapers.

Two last weekend.

While watching a tele-skier.....

"That guy's on one ski."

2 seconds later

"Look honey, he's doing lunges down the mountain."

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Man, a bunch if y’all sound like grumpy old men. Chill the fuck out and ski. It is fun dammit. I could quote half you you in this very thread. Gapers.
    yup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Not a gaper quote, but yesterday at Big Sky I saw a couple looking at the Explorer chairlift, which is the beginner lift, debating whether to ride it. "I think that's the baby lift," the woman said.

Totally got what she meant, but all day long I kept picturing babies riding up chairlifts and it made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Magic?
    Worse.

https://gleneden.on.ca/

It's 10 minutes from my house, that's the only benefit. Major airport is 30 minutes. This is how I live.

Worse.

https://gleneden.on.ca/

It's 10 minutes from my house, that's the only benefit. Major airport is 30 minutes. This is how I live.

Ha... I drove past there 2 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Ha... I drove past there 2 days ago.
    Should've stopped in for a beer! If it was around 09:45 on Saturday, then that's likely exactly when said gaper-ish story was all shaking down.

I don't understand how people have so much trouble with lifts. Especially adults on high speed detachables.
    1. Sit down.
    2. Stand up.

???
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

They have a couple cute ladies as mountain ambassadors.
    https://gleneden.on.ca/pages/ambassadors
    Magic just has Rusty.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Her: "Went to shit meaning no snow or too much snow?".
    Yeah, not a gaper quote. There's absolutely such a thing as too much snow - it happens in Tahoe all the time, at least back when it actually snowed here. If it comes in too big the odds of getting any decent terrain open during storm days (not to mention wind issues) can be a real factor to consider.

It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I don't understand how people have so much trouble with lifts. Especially adults on high speed detachables.
    1. Sit down.
    2. Stand up.

???
    I was musing about this saturday.
    Maybe a cert, like a belay cert to ride a lift.