Page 326 of 472 FirstFirst ... 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 ... LastLast
Results 8,126 to 8,150 of 11780
    BTW, the tram line at 2pm. Wtf?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180210_115710-01.jpeg 
Views:	199 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	223808
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 02-10-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    \That place is getting way too crowded and expensive for my tastes. The rich have conquered it, lock stock and barrel. Fuck em, let them have it.
    Haven't you said that about every place you have been to besides Italy since your retirement? Might be time to just make it official.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Didn't say it about Driggs.

But, it's only a matter of time before they fuck that place up, too.

Tomorrow is going to be a sunny Sunday pow day. An a scummit just won a gold.

Sorry you are missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Tomorrow is going to be a sunny Sunday pow day. An a scummit just won a gold.

Sorry you are missing out.
    I am too. My powder timing sucks. But, major first world problem. I'm going to take a drive through one of the most beautiful places in America tomorrow on what is supposed to be an amazing day. Boo Hoo.

So you think it's cool to stand in line for an hour on a no powder day to ride a tram to basically the same place three lifts will? I know, there's "backcountry" involved, but, trust me, 90% of those people were just stumbling down Rendevouz.
    I am not very familiar with the Big Sky lift experience you speak of, but I'm guessing it is very different. As I heard a gaper say to his buddies today at JH, "it's Jackson, that's what you do, ride the tram" Indeed.

That place is getting way too crowded and expensive for my tastes. The rich have conquered it, lock stock and barrel. Fuck em, let them have it.
    Come on up to Big Sky, even if there isn't an equation for snow depth and tram line equation. I'll show you around and if it is OK with you we will wait for the tram, ski what is good and look at those pert Tetons off to the south. There are wealthy people every where and we will enjoy our plebeian ski opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    For future reference the dome light switches are easy to hit when reaching into the back seat. It's discharged out battery a couple times in the garage. It's not noticed cause the garage light is on.
    Thanks. I've also heard that newer cars have so much background shit running that they can suck a fair amount of juice. True?
    So, there has to be a special category of gaper who waits in line for an hour for the JH tram at noon on a one to two inch day.

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums mobile app
    That's a lot of folks. They can't al be gapers.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's a lot of folks. They can't al be gapers.
    Call them Al!

We were at Big Sky last year, fairly low tide I think, maybe 6 inches fresh the night we got there, then nothing for the week, but conditions kept getting better off the tram in marx, lenin, gullies, cron's with the the wind moving snow around. Otter Slide was closed due to firm/rocky, then they opened it and closed it again after someone got hurt bad, but end of the week it was excellent. There was enough snow blowing into Big Couloir that they were bombing it every day and had to close it due to too much loading one day. Our bases paid the price getting through the rocks off the top of the tram where all that snow was coming from.

Why soft in the middle?

Betty.

Benny, I've lived in Jackson. What's your secret move on a "one inch day" there?

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    Benny, I've lived in Jackson. What's your secret move on a "one inch day" there?
    Soft in the middle, so Granite?

On the Ptarmagan chair at Loveland and the tunnel siren goes off. Snowing and blowing pretty good. Asian guy on the chair with me asks if the ski area is closing. Maybe Japanese or Korean. Not Chinese.

I tell him it's the warning Godzilla is coming over the ridge from the west. Not sure if he got it or not. Thought he'd appreciate the humor.
    Can't help yourself can you. Even your interactions with other people IRL expose your stereotyping and your bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Can't help yourself can you. Even your interactions with other people IRL expose your stereotyping and your bigotry.
    So you fell for it and jumped off the lift?

Mission accomplished!

For future reference the dome light switches are easy to hit when reaching into the back seat. It's discharged out battery a couple times in the garage. It's not noticed cause the garage light is on.
    What most people don't know is that batteries take a beating when fully discharged.

Each time a battery "dies" it loses approximately ten percent of it's carrying capacity. Kill a battery a few times and it's fucked.

So you think it's cool to stand in line for an hour on a no powder day to ride a tram to basically the same place three lifts will?
    Yo, I don't have a horse in this race, but I just checked the piste map. There's two lifts that finish near the top of the tram, only one of them (Sublette chair) gives access to the stuff on the far left of the piste map (Bernie's, Cheyenne, Rock Springs bowls), and neither of them start from the village. So, if you are already in the village, like I assume most of the people in the queue were... on account of them being there... and you want to ski the stuff over on the left, then the tram is the most obvious option to take. Of course, you can get to the top of the Bridger Gondola, ski down to Thunder Chair, then ski down to Sublette Chair... so if you want to take three consecutive lifts to take you to not-quite-the-same-place as the tram, then that works just fine. Is this what you meant? And not that there are three lifts that end in "basically the same place"?

Like I say, I don't have a horse in this race, I've never even been to Jackson, so there might be a crucial piece of the puzzle that I'm missing here. But based solely on my rudimentary piste map reading skills, the tram looks like the best option to get to that side of the map, even if there's a bit of a wait.

God I hate this thread.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    ...so there might be a crucial piece of the puzzle that I'm missing here...
    U didn't

bunny=whining

queen of the backseat Joey's with frequent gaper moments - avoid
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    Yo, I don't have a horse in this race, but I just checked the piste map. There's two lifts that finish near the top of the tram, only one of them (Sublette chair) gives access to the stuff on the far left of the piste map (Bernie's, Cheyenne, Rock Springs bowls), and neither of them start from the village. So, if you are already in the village, like I assume most of the people in the queue were... on account of them being there... and you want to ski the stuff over on the left, then the tram is the most obvious option to take. Of course, you can get to the top of the Bridger Gondola, ski down to Thunder Chair, then ski down to Sublette Chair... so if you want to take three consecutive lifts to take you to not-quite-the-same-place as the tram, then that works just fine. Is this what you meant? And not that there are three lifts that end in "basically the same place"?

Like I say, I don't have a horse in this race, I've never even been to Jackson, so there might be a crucial piece of the puzzle that I'm missing here. But based solely on my rudimentary piste map reading skills, the tram looks like the best option to get to that side of the map, even if there's a bit of a wait.

God I hate this thread.
    No, you're on the right place. You determine your plan of attack from afar by reading a trail map on the internet. You'll do just fine in that line if you ever ski JH. There's a little place to grab a latte right next to the tram. Enjoy!

No, you're on the right place. You determine your plan of attack from afar by reading a trail map on the internet. You'll do just fine in that line if you ever ski JH. There's a little place to grab a latte right next to the tram. Enjoy!
    I don't see the difference between him reading a trail map from afar versus bunny reading a trail map while having a latte next to the tram.

Gaperism is all relative. If I see lines like that (regardless of location) I get back in my car and go ski backcountry (avy conditions permitting).

30 min line to ski 4139' ain't that bad for a weekend, especially if headed to the side country. Welcome to skiing any major resort on a Saturday. Skiing resorts on Saturdays = Gaper

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Skiing resorts on Saturdays = Gaper
    I wasn't going to go quite that far but it's in the general direction of what I was getting at. Not that I haven't skied plenty of resort days on the weekends, but I find it happening a lot less often these days. Last year was such a shit-show in Tahoe (back when we had lots of snow) I didn't resort ski more than 2-3 weekend days for all of January - March. And that was only because I had my oldest kid with me.

Out of towners coming to Jackson and wanting to do Tram laps... I get it.

I miss the old Rendezvous Poma (or was it a T-bar, it was a long time ago). It was steep enough it had a switchback.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I miss the old Rendezvous Poma (or was it a T-bar, it was a long time ago). It was steep enough it had a switchback.
    It's a shame when they upgrade lifts that give a place a certain character. Years ago, there used to be a knee-breaking rickety old 2-man chair in La Thuile, Italy, where they would give you a thick woolen blanket to spread between you to protect against the abnormally-cold winds. Come the new millenium... detachable bubble quad.
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

i hated weekends before but with a 6 year old they are terrifying, not just soul-crushing. usually timberline is pretty laid back but the past several weekends have been dodging missiles for hours until it clears out. yesterday i watched a snowboarder lose his board down the hill from the lodge. i'd never actually seen it happen before. talk about a missile. it would inflict serious damage on a standing rider's legs but a lot worse on a fallen one.