Page 426 of 472 FirstFirst ... 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 ... LastLast
Results 10,626 to 10,650 of 11780
    Careful tbs, our little secret. The skis are solid wood with ptex bases. Was the Taurus a stationwagen tft?
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    I Had a Ford Taurus in college with the upgraded trim - fake shiny wood grain. Classy ride. Closed the bar out one night, made a new friend. New friend Gets in the car and was very impressed. “Daaaammn, this must be expensive.”

Point of the story - the veneer on your skis looks nicer than the shitty plastic trim in my taurus. I wouldn’t be surprised if the rich wives in fast tracks see those skis and decide to downgrade to the peasant line just to ride up with you.
    I'd recommend sticking with the Bogner.

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

Some guy on Facebook: “obviously you never skied here, the runs are much more difficult than anything in the Tahoe area.”

He’s referring to Sun Valley. Lol…

(For the record I quite enjoyed SV last time I was out that way)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Maybe he is measuring difficulty by length back to the chair ? Lol

The problem with Sun Valley is the runs are so long. And most of them are groomed. And it never snows.And last year we had lift lines !! You probably wouldn't like it even if you didn't get scared.

CK

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post
    The problem with Sun Valley is the runs are so long. And most of them are groomed. And it never snows.And last year we had lift lines !! You probably wouldn't like it even if you didn't get scared.

CK
    Really? That's a problem, the runs are too long? You must not be conditioned well enough if you think the runs are too long.

As for it never snows there I call bullshit on that. You just haven't hit Baldy in the right storms or a storm cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Really? That's a problem, the runs are too long? You must not be conditioned well enough if you think the runs are too long.

As for it never snows there I call bullshit on that. You just haven't hit Baldy in the right storms or a storm cycle.
    You must have forgotten to turn on your sarcasm detector this morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by da klixter View Post

CK
    In all honesty, skiing groomers with my wife and inlaws scares the piss out of me. They are all ex-racers (in-laws still travel internationally to race masters) and just fucking mach down groomers and over blind rollers on their freshly tuned and waxed race skis... meanwhile im trying my damndest to keep up on fat skis that have never once been tuned, and only get a storage wax over the summer. Losing an edge on a groomer at +50mph and going into the trees is how you kill yourself. And blasting over blind rollers on groomers is how you kill someone else. Shockingly, the have matching Spyder race team jackets.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    In all honesty, skiing groomers with my wife and inlaws scares the piss out of me. They are all ex-racers (in-laws still travel internationally to race masters) and just fucking mach down groomers and over blind rollers on their freshly tuned and waxed race skis... meanwhile im trying my damndest to keep up on fat skis that have never once been tuned, and only get a storage wax over the summer. Losing an edge on a groomer at +50mph and going into the trees is how you kill yourself. And blasting over blind rollers on groomers is how you kill someone else. Shockingly, the have matching Spyder race team jackets.
    What ur saying is ur kid is gonna be a better skier than u....it's in ze blood

Endless groomers at SV sound pretty good right now

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

I was told the place is full of old Boomers who don't stray from the groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Some guy on Facebook: “obviously you never skied here, the runs are much more difficult than anything in the Tahoe area.”

He’s referring to Sun Valley. Lol…

(For the record I quite enjoyed SV last time I was out that way)
    "Our greens are like blues, and our blues are blacks everywhere else" is the statement that gets tossed around all the time at Sun Valley, like it's some sort of badge of honour to have inconsistently-rated trails or something. But really, it's just Seattle Ridge that fucks it all up. These runs are blues, no fucking way around it. But they slap a bunch of green circles all over the whole zone, so when someone new to the place looks at the map they think "ahh cool that must be the place for beginners" when in reality they're the perfect old boomer couple runs, and certainly no learning area.

Meanwhile just across the valley is the bowls, and the rest of the place, which are all correctly labelled.

I mean, judge a run from looking at it and who cares about the map, but it's kind of a stupid setup which propagates this weird dick-swinging vibe in the pub and chairlift conversations out there.

You all probably know this, and after writing all this out it feels like I should be on Alpine Zone. Sorry.

Name:  SV_Seattle.JPG
Views: 971
Size:  131.5 KB

One time at Sun Valley I shared a chair with an old local guy (he was younger than me because I am really old) and I pointed out a steep run and I said, "I bet that is really nice on a powder day". His response: "I wouldn't know as I don't ski powder days"....I had no response as he left me speechless.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    That pretty much sums up my Sun Valley experience. We were on a little mountain collective road trip and just finished skiing pow in Aspen and SLC. Roll in to Sun Valley with my fully rockered skis and dull as fuck edges. I see multiple people in the parking lot tuning up the edges on their carvers with a file. I chuckle to myself, because that seems ridiculous.

Turns out they were right. I was wrong. Off groomed is mostly grass, with maybe 10" of crusty horribleness on top (but it was open!). Groomers are icy death luges. Dull, rockered skis were not the weapon of choice. Racey dudes (and ladies) on carvers were blowing my doors off. I really could've gone for some razor sharp carvers that day. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    One time at Sun Valley I shared a chair with an old local guy (he was younger than me because I am really old) and I pointed out a steep run and I said, "I bet that is really nice on a powder day". His response: "I wouldn't know as I don't ski powder days"....I had no response as he left me speechless.
    Met some cool old guys who were at the bar every day, they claimed to have had a considerable # of ski days this season (it was late March). I later found out that they just show up sometime in the morning around 11, go for one run off the gondola and call it a day.

Good for them for doing what they like, but to me if you're spending more time at the bar then on the hill, it should be called a "bar day." Was more funny than anything else.

I'm the gaper who started this hi-jack. You're all correct. We have all types of skiers and all types of runs at Sun Valley. Fortunately, we are mostly friendly locals. If you're not finding the skiing you're looking for, ask a local. They'll more than likely point you in the right direction - if you're nice...

CK

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    ahh cool that must be the place for beginners"

That's it, Seattle is for the beginners, old people, and 3 old dudes w ITALY team helmets, and Atomic race skis. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    That's it, Seattle is for the beginners, old people, and 3 old dudes w ITALY team helmets, and Atomic race skis. LOL.
    You ski too slow.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

skied SV in 1987 -
    had a tiny cabin on the main drag in Ketchum; I am pretty-sure it was called SkiView, but maybe not
    ( long gone, though the name still seems to be associated with the fancy condos )

thought about WM as I skied RiverRun,

stomped around SunValley one evening and thought about Hemingway...

tried to ski WarmSpring non-stop, top to bottom - 203slaloms.
    Silly boy.
    when my legs cramped for the third time, I pulled to a Stop.
    gaper. it was fun
    ( I was close. but I wasn't at the bottom )

thanks for the chuckle... ! skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 11-11-2021 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    What ur saying is ur kid is gonna be a better skier than u....it's in ze blood
    Oh hell yeah he is. Grandpa also taught skiing for years at park City, so no doubt Jr's form will be much tighter than mine by age 10. Gonna have to train some PSIAA out of him though.

Definitely no matching Spyder race jackets for him.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 11-11-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    You ski too slow.
    ok, will fix soon. 2 weeks from today!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Met some cool old guys who were at the bar every day, they claimed to have had a considerable # of ski days this season (it was late March). I later found out that they just show up sometime in the morning around 11, go for one run off the gondola and call it a day.
    We call that 3 left turns here. Left off the gondy, left into the lodge, and another left into the bar

Adjust locally for # of turns you gotta make to get to the bar.

And to continue the hijack:

I once skied past Arnold Schwarzenegger at Sun Valley, and another time brought my two best buddies (snowboarders) down the iciest death moguls of our lives.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I skied Sun Valley in 1976 during the first Black Ski Congress. I had a brand new Obermyer ski suit with yellow strips.

The Bro’s had a ball and I was the “yellow streak”.

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

So… like, Sun Valley is fun for sure, but to circle back… to say the terrain there is “much more difficult” than anything in Tahoe is ridiculous. I mean, come on. GTFO of here. One of the dumber things I’ve heard lately.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My one and only brush with fame occurred at Sun Valley in the late 90s/early 00s. Dude and I see each other as we’re going through the cafeteria line. End up seated at consecutive tables, so I give him the ‘sup silent head nod. Go about biz and eat, afterwards buddy tells me it’s James Caan.