Page 151 of 472 FirstFirst ... 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 11780
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    After smoking 3 joints of AK's finest with only 3 people I turn to a local and ask "what elevation is Juneau?".
    I've had fishing clients on the boat, ON THE OCEAN, ask how far below sea level we get at low tide.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I've had fishing clients on the boat, ON THE OCEAN, ask how far below sea level we get at low tide.
    "Sea Level" is usually defined as Mean Lower Low Tide, hence the negative numbers in the tide books. Although I usually just go with the level the ocean is right now when I'm on it.
    Living vicariously through myself.

my mother-in-law was complaining about the altitude in Juneau - you could see tidewater from our house
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    "Sea Level" is usually defined as Mean Lower Low Tide, hence the negative numbers in the tide books. Although I usually just go with the level the ocean is right now when I'm on it.
    I'm aware of MLLT but "sea level" seems too easy to calculate when it's 3 feet under the deck you're standing on.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    my mother-in-law was complaining about the altitude in Juneau - you could see tidewater from our house
    By altitude she meant no nordstroms.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    "Are you looking forward to the snow?"
    "I heard this winter is supposed to be huge."

Good to see this back up. The season beckons.

"No, no, it's like this."

As a husband and wife (in jeans, naturally) are holding up the Boreal lift line yesterday while he's trying to help her put her skis on backwards.

I mean, I'm all for new people learning the sport, but maybe figure out how to put the skis on somewhere other than the front of the line, and maybe it's not the greatest idea for two complete beginners to head up the lift on their own if they don't even know how to put their skis on?

Such fears seemed to have been proven right, as they were standing, skis off, near the top of the lift my next few laps, and before I left I saw them having an obviously awkward conversation with a patroller...

After he measured, said "75in fits no problem" and I drove 30 minutes to find out my 189cm skis DON'T fit in a Thule Evo 1600:

"Man, those are some long skis. Those aren't for regular downhill, are they?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Maybe not the appropriate place but it made me laugh cause if TGR. Sitting in law when the professor starts with the line "I once had this case where 2 skiers crashed together. They were both dentists....." Story is pretty predictable from there.

I was riding the Lenawee lift at A-Basin the other day and as we're flying over Lenawee Parks, the dude at the other end of the chair goes, "I think the blues here are pretty much like the greens at Keystone."

Quote Originally Posted by sqikunst View Post
    Maybe not the appropriate place but it made me laugh cause if TGR. Sitting in law when the professor starts with the line "I once had this case where 2 skiers crashed together. They were both dentists....." Story is pretty predictable from there.
    Yeah, well dentists tell each other lawyer jokes.

"Dude, is that a throwback jersey?"

Quote Originally Posted by CO_Vol View Post
    "Dude, is that a throwback jersey?"
    Quality.
    Old's Cool.

Snowboarder at Stowe today says to me "Hey were you just skinning in the bootpack? Me "No, but it looks like people are hiking in the skin track".

Riding up Apres Vous Lift the other day. This guy started a monolog about snow conditions...

Very close paraphrase:

"The transflux cohesive layer bonds to residual wind swept molecular adhesive forming a compactive sheer surface needed for proper layering and stability of the initial layers of the foundation section resulting in a somewhat mitigated, atomic elasticity yielding bonding and nuclear fluctuations occur at these elevations and solar slant perspective....etc...etc..."

It got deep at the end. I read the avi report a few times a week and there were clearly words being used I never heard before- and I work in a ski shop!

I thought..."This guy really knows his stuff- at the beginning.

Near the end of the near 6 minute monolog about snow conditions, a good sized (8-10) group of mule deer walked under the lift. Two beautiful bucks and a bunch of does following.

"LOOK AT THE ELK!"

Maybe he had poor vision.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Riding up Apres Vous Lift the other day. This guy started a monolog about snow conditions...

Very close paraphrase:

"The transflux cohesive layer bonds to residual wind swept molecular adhesive forming a compactive sheer surface needed for proper layering and stability of the initial layers of the foundation section resulting in a somewhat mitigated, atomic elasticity yielding bonding and nuclear fluctuations occur at these elevations and solar slant perspective....etc...etc..."

It got deep at the end. I read the avi report a few times a week and there were clearly words being used I never heard before- and I work in a ski shop!

I thought..."This guy really knows his stuff- at the beginning.

Near the end of the near 6 minute monolog about snow conditions, a good sized (8-10) group of mule elk walked under the lift. Two beautiful Bulls and a bunch of Cows following.

"LOOK AT THE ELK!"

Maybe he had poor vision.
    Fixed it.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Yeah that's what we have here....Mule Elk.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

he might have been right what elevation were you at?

Yeah that's what we have here....Mule Elk.
    Wait a minute. Aren't these from Wy? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack04.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	126901
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Last Friday powder day on Mt Rose lift:

"Looks like they are taking down the barriers and ropes to the Chutes and opening them up."

"No. Chutes are closed. They are now putting up the ropes to keep you out."

"What skis are those? They look fat. Are they those new Monument skis made in Reno?"

I jumped off the lift at this point.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

A friend of mine is a ski tech and was helping a customer dropping their skis off for a tune. They asked if they needed their poles waxed.

I have never had the "waterski's" comment until saturday, when somehow I had it 3 times.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    A friend of mine is a ski tech and was helping a customer dropping their skis off for a tune. They asked if they needed their poles waxed.
    duh - they need to be sharpened AND waxed - that'll be $25
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    ky jelly works better