Page 431 of 471 FirstFirst ... 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 ... LastLast
Results 10,751 to 10,775 of 11762
    An un-gaper "quote". Stormy, nasty day recently, little kid crying and generally having a tantrum. Not an unusual occurrence around here. However, upon closer observation, the kid was screaming because his parents were making him leave. Kid definitely has promise. My kids headed for the lodge when things got nasty.

Waiting for a rope drop and guy is on phone with his friend back at their house. Guy asks him if it’s really a powder ski day. Mind you were waiting for a rope drop on 30” of powder. His buddy says yes it is. He asks again cause he’s just not sure. I’m laughing at this point cause I’m on pontoons and it’s waist deep like 10 feet from the rope

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Name:  20210502_135831.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  131.3 KB
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Me (first day on modern XC skis with something other than 3 pin bindings) to older woman with ski patrol jacket: How do I get out of these bindings?
    Older (but not older than me) woman with ski patrol jacket: I don't know.

They twist. I did do it when first got the skis but that was months ago. For a while I thought I might have to take the boots off and walk back to my car through the snow and ice in my stocking feet, carrying the skis with boots still attached. I eventually figured it out without breaking the toes.

this was at Royal Gorge. And all round me I heard a number of other people trying to figure out their bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Me (first day on modern XC skis with something other than 3 pin bindings) to older woman with ski patrol jacket: How do I get out of these bindings?
    Older (but not older than me) woman with ski patrol jacket: I don't know.

They twist. I did do it when first got the skis but that was months ago. For a while I thought I might have to take the boots off and walk back to my car through the snow and ice in my stocking feet, carrying the skis with boots still attached. I eventually figured it out without breaking the toes.

this was at Royal Gorge. And all round me I heard a number of other people trying to figure out their bindings.
    $50 says that my wife at Royal Gorge tomorrow too.

Rode the lift with a college aged dude with his mitts on the wrong hands today, and I don’t think he was intoxicated.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    $50 says that my wife at Royal Gorge tomorrow too.

Rode the lift with a college aged dude with his mitts on the wrong hands today, and I don’t think he was intoxicated.
    Maybe he has opposable pinkies.

Guy from Alabama talking to his friends: "He should have looked behind him before he turned."

A young skier comes down very fast making excellent slalom race turns.
    Alabama: "Wish I could ski like that guy."
    Friend: "That's a girl."
    Alabama "But she identifies as a guy"
    Friend "They identify as a guy." (Not gaper, just funny)

I overheard this conversation in the base area.

Gaper: " The rental guy didn't tighten the clips on my boots."
    Gaper's Friend: "Clips?? Do you mean the Buckles?"
    Gaper: " OK, Buckles. The rental guy undid the buckles on the boots, they were super loose and I had to tighten them after I put them on. Don't they know you don't have any control with the buckles loose. Why did they give me boots with loose buckles?"

Quote Originally Posted by nord View Post
    I overheard this conversation in the base area.

Gaper: " The rental guy didn't tighten the clips on my boots."
    Gaper's Friend: "Clips?? Do you mean the Buckles?"
    Gaper: " OK, Buckles. The rental guy undid the buckles on the boots, they were super loose and I had to tighten them after I put them on. Don't they know you don't have any control with the buckles loose. Why did they give me boots with loose buckles?"
    That's a good one.

Riding Collins lift at Alta today, two fellow passengers talking, one is obviously a local expert.

"All the pro skiers live in Park City but ski at Alta & Snowbird"

"Alta has to close early every year due to migrating wildlife".

Wait. What?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post

About 10-12 years ago i have some gloves that came with a stiff rubber wiper blade built into the outside of each index finger. It was super legit for windshield wiping the goggles... but otherwise the gloves sucked.
    Dakine gloves have a wiper on one thumb and a soft fabric on the other side... super useful actually

Stormy day yesterday. I skiing single. I get on the chair with two guys. Their dressed in non-flash or fancy brand jackets and their skis look very used and non-rental type. So, I ask them, "Are you guys locals?" The bigger guy replies, "No, we're from Illinois."
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

^^ The rig making the ski box more accessible (with less wind resistance) actually makes sense and seems pretty clever. One question though, I guess you just have to leave the bar holding the box in the down mode resting against the ground when you hangout / sleep inside the camper?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

not a Gaper quote, but a Gaper move...
    ....some dude crashed into me yesterday in mineral basin /snowbird, took my feet out from behind.lol
    I actually felt him hitting my tails and did a quick turn to avoid it, but he took out my tips on my sequential turn.lmao

Both unhurt He said he fumbled on a mogul. >It was at a pretty mellow section near the bottom of the wide open face. 1st time a person crashed into me in over 15 years!

.................................................. .
    Reminds me >Killington about 20 years ago > some teen age kid was barreling right at me on a Green hill. (I was waiting for a friend and stopped)

I had no choice but to plant my skis and elbow him mosh pit style to prevent him from taking me out.

He was knocked clear off the side of the trail about 10 feet down the embankment

>crawls out n up , and starts to give me the a classic Gaper 'what the fuck routine' lmao/my buddy rolled up then , and we just skied off since he was unhurt
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

I would like to nominate Snowmass as winner for the mountain with the highest ratio of the following formula: actual interesting expert terrain X number of gapers on the slopes.

It’s not even upsetting. It’s just amazing.

Yesterday at Mt Bachelor I got on a chair with a group comprised of (L-R) a grandfather, his 9yo grandson and another adult.

The load did not go smoothly. Kid slid off the seat and into the pit. Chair stopped about 20’ outside the terminal, about 8’ off the ground.

When the lift ops didn’t heed grandpa’s call to back the chair up (seriously) he jumped off.

I don’t think he was prepared for an 8’ to flat landing because he didn’t get up for a while.

Lift op came over after a bit, clicked him out and sherpa’d his skis back to the load ramp.

Chair finally started moving and the remaining guy said to me, without even a breath of irony,
    “This has happened to him and his grandkids every time they’ve come to Mt Bachelor, and every time it’s the lift operators’ fault”.

Uh huh…

That story made my day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Bad jeans.

Riding the lift at Alpine Meadows today when a cloud front moves in and changes beautiful and softening sunny day into dreary super flat light. Grizzled and bearded young core guy on chair with me trying to teach girlfriend how to ski by pointing out how others ski below, tells both of us, yup, there's some moisture moving in, yup, we're going to see some snow out of this one, yup. Fifteen minutes later the clouds passed and it was beautiful again.

Last Friday it was storming on the top half of the mtn. Headed out at midday expecting to ski the refresh with minimal crowds. Ran into a coworker on the way to the lift who was heading back in. She warned me and my ski partner about the "really bad visibility up high" That warning was good for a few laughs during the rest of the day. It was a stellar storm day...not enough fresh for powder frenzy & stormy enough to keep the fudgies in the lodges.

Also gotta keep those legs limber brah
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 6.15.32 AM.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	286.6 KB 
ID:	401854  

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Riding the lift at Alpine Meadows today when a cloud front moves in and changes beautiful and softening sunny day into dreary super flat light. Grizzled and bearded young core guy on chair with me trying to teach girlfriend how to ski by pointing out how others ski below, tells both of us, yup, there's some moisture moving in, yup, we're going to see some snow out of this one, yup. Fifteen minutes later the clouds passed and it was beautiful again.
    Added context: the forecast for Tahoe has been bone dry for weeks now (ever since the huge December dump), so that makes this particularly absurd.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I would like to nominate Snowmass as winner for the mountain with the highest ratio of the following formula: actual interesting expert terrain X number of gapers on the slopes.

It’s not even upsetting. It’s just amazing.
    It was extra absurd this past weekend

There was a guy standing across the entrance to the alpine springs lift line who decided to take his ski and boot fully off for an unknown reason and a kid came nuking in, hit the guy’s ski, got off balance, and bulldozed through the slow sign before crashing in the lift line
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I couldn't believe the amount of ski poles, sunglasses, goggles, hats and gloves under the chair lift this last weekend. Also, we kept getting the lift stopped and one of the liftys told us there were new folks who weren't unloading and taking a ride around the bull-wheel. We actually witnessed it on Monday, it's pretty comical to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    M
    Older (but not older than me)
    I'd think that is a given anywhere you go??