Page 61 of 472 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 11780
    Absolut, they just filmed a man vs. food episode at the grease trucks and Stuff Yer Face (man vs. food is a tv show on travel channel with some guy tasting food from all over the world and trying to beat challenges)...he could not complete the grease trucks challenge to eat 5 sandwhiches in 45 minutes to name your own sandwhich hahaha

My wife and I were atop the Aiguille du Midi one October to do a little sightseeing--not equipped for glacier travel, just for gaping. We went out just past the chain to where the ridge that you follow down to the Vallee Blanche starts. There we encountered a couple in full climbing regalia--goretex one piece suits, helmets, plastic climbing boots, crampons, ice axes, harnesses, roped together with coils over their shoulders, big packs--the whole deal, and all brandnew and untouched. We watched while their friend took multiple pictures with a little point and shoot camera--while they rearranged their gear, took off the rope, put on the rope, changed their poses. We kept waiting to watch them head down the ridge--wanted to see how real Alpine climbers did it. They just kept posing for pictures. Finally they went inside and left. Reminded me of when we used to find a horizontal slab of rock with a crack in it and fake overhanging climbing photos.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My wife and I were atop the Aiguille du Midi one October to do a little sightseeing--not equipped for glacier travel, just for gaping. We went out just past the chain to where the ridge that you follow down to the Vallee Blanche starts. There we encountered a couple in full climbing regalia--goretex one piece suits, helmets, plastic climbing boots, crampons, ice axes, harnesses, roped together with coils over their shoulders, big packs--the whole deal, and all brandnew and untouched. We watched while their friend took multiple pictures with a little point and shoot camera--while they rearranged their gear, took off the rope, put on the rope, changed their poses. We kept waiting to watch them head down the ridge--wanted to see how real Alpine climbers did it. They just kept posing for pictures. Finally they went inside and left. Reminded me of when we used to find a horizontal slab of rock with a crack in it and fake overhanging climbing photos.
    I ran into a couple just like that hiking the ridge on Snowdon.... A bit of snow kicked up when we were about 250 meters from the 'peak', so the couple in front of us basically stops to set up camp. They've got the big packs and all the associated gear, and they dig into it, pulling out one piece goretex suits, mittens, goggles, the whole shebang... We kept on and muscled through... After passing the peak, and decending about 100', it was clear skies and sunshine the whole way down the lower trail.

So even though she's a gaper, the real question is, Pooperhausen??

EDIT: I have no idea how when I posted this, I didn't notice the 100,384 posts asking this same question/suggesting this. Guess dumb broads from "cali" make my brain go numb
    Last edited by dumpy; 12-18-2009 at 09:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    I said this a few pages back but this thread is lame...

If everyone was as cool and rad as you guys you wouldn't be nearly as cool/rad.

I guess I don't really care to make fun of people cause I live in a very touristy place that gets frequented by 2x a year snowbladers in jeans. I could fill 6 pages of gaper quotes and stories but I don't really care cause I'm skiing up and away from them.
    I am lucky enough that I have skied since I was way young and had parents who believed that the mountains will bring peace to those who take the time to enjoy them... wearing two pairs of jeans doesn't make someones experiance any less valid than mine.
    I have not travelled very much but I have been that guy taking pictures of monkeys and looking lost with an upside down map. Guess what? Some nice locals pointed me in the right direction and took my picture for me. I highly doubt they went online and pointed out my pale skin and complete ocean jongness.

I don't mind stopping on the way to where I'm skiing to show someone to press the heel peice down before stepping in. Or pointing out which way is up when someone is obviously confussed by a ski hill layout. Maybe my being nice will make a positive change in someones life and maybe they will to continue to bring their kids to my resort town. I just don't care enough to waste my ski time by taking some random skiers picture and posting it here to make myself feel oh so gnarly.
    Remember..
    If everyone was as rad as us we would not be nearly as rad.

*****disclaimer**** My living is based on tourists so maybe I'm slightly biased but really this thread is poop.

Flame away jerks! (insert funny middle finger devil horn smiley)
    If someone is rude or obnoxious, that is one thing, but simply not knowing as much as someone posting what was said.... everyone is ignorant about alot of stuff. What do you think Steven Hawking would think about our knowledge of physics (if he was like you guys). Or a phd in chemistry, or math etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Sucks being a boot fitter! I did it for a few years. You know how a boot is supposed to fit and every one of your reps can back you up on how to shell fit and what foot shape their boots will accomodate and yet there's always some gaper who knows better! Then they get all offended when you try to give them the benefit of your experience and talk them out of making a huge mistake! Kind of makes you appreciate customers with a clue or at least the ones who are willing to concede that someone who makes a living fitting boots might actually know what they're talking about!
    Sounds like this boot fitter made the right call. More often than not if you let the gaper walk out with the wrong boot, you'll be seeing them again and they'll blame you for their troubles. Probably better to lose a sale than to have to accept a return on a boot that's been modified beyond repair to accomodate the wrong foot! On the other hand, a lot of gapers get the wrong boot and you never see them again. Either they never use the boots or have just accepted that boots should look good and feel as though they accidentally stepped into watering can while rummaging through the garage!
    I, for one, did not "make a living fitting boots." I got a little money, but not a living.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    I, for one, did not "make a living fitting boots." I got a little money, but not a living.
    I did. Albiet a meager one. Got discounts on everything which is good because I couldn't have afforded equipment or skiing otherwise. Skied and biked all the time which you just can't put a price tag on! Now a 911 dispatcher and ski 3-5 days a week and own a mansion and a yacht...
    Hope you didn't have the misfortune of being a boot fitter at Huntah. Them's cougar country! Imagine boot fitting Fran Drescher every weekend!
    Actually, that might not be too bad depending on the decade...

Yes Please!

Where'd I put those beer goggles?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

This is fresh from the mountain two hours ago. I was in one of the buildings taking off my gear….lockers, benches, etc. I hear this young girl (16-18) sitting on a bench across from me bust her boyfriends balls.

She - “ Wow, you fell a bunch today”.
    He - “Yeah those stupid rental guys set the speed on my bindings too low”
    She - “Huh?”
    He – “They have settings on the bindings. Faster skiers have higher settings and slower skiers have lower settings. I guess they didn’t know how fast I was and set the bindings way too low, that’s why the skis kept coming off. I tried to slow down but…..those morons are clueless”

That’s when he looked up and saw me staring at him…..apparently with my mouth open…….I just smiled and blinked back the tears.

Of course armed with this new knowledge I checked my skis and sure enough…..according to him, I am a half-fast skier…….who knew????
    WooHoo, she said as she threw her wooden leg up over the dash!!!!!

Today I was comming down with my 5 year old and came to a bottleneck spot. Where there were two gentlemen (I use that term loosly since they were in TexasTech attire) one on each side of the bottleneck. Both of them had thier skis off and were carrying them. One started to cross the spot on foot. Apperently the other had already crossed. People were dodging all over the place to try and get around them. Just as we went past him I heard him yell to his friend.

"There's too many people for me to walk through here. Why can't they stop and let me cross?"
    Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es

Overheard in Porters yesterday afternoon:

"There's too much snow on the mountain to ski, so we decided to do some shopping."
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by anjinsan View Post
    This is fresh from the mountain two hours ago. I was in one of the buildings taking off my gear….lockers, benches, etc. I hear this young girl (16-18) sitting on a bench across from me bust her boyfriends balls.

She - “ Wow, you fell a bunch today”.
    He - “Yeah those stupid rental guys set the speed on my bindings too low”
    She - “Huh?”
    He – “They have settings on the bindings. Faster skiers have higher settings and slower skiers have lower settings. I guess they didn’t know how fast I was and set the bindings way too low, that’s why the skis kept coming off. I tried to slow down but…..those morons are clueless”

That’s when he looked up and saw me staring at him…..apparently with my mouth open…….I just smiled and blinked back the tears.

Of course armed with this new knowledge I checked my skis and sure enough…..according to him, I am a half-fast skier…….who knew????
    Hilarious

Best part about this one is, it came from me.
    It was about an hour after eating a very special rice crispy treat.

I got in the gondola at Loon, NH with a "ambassador" guy. He strikes up the conversation-

How far do you think it is from the summit of Loon, to the summit of MT Washington?

Me- (being a salty sailor) 40,well, wait, that depends, is that in Nautical miles, or land miles?

DEEHHH.

For marine Jongs, a mile on the ocean is 6,000 feet. On land, including mountains its Five thousand two hundred some shit.
    Skiing made me Board

80 = someshit
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

well, in case you really had to know, Loon to Washington is 24.33soomeshit miles. (non- Nautical)

Enthralling, I know.
    Skiing made me Board

Years ago, I had the pleasure of scoring a free ticket at Deer Valley. Not to bad of mtn, skied fresh all day and really could not figure out how the parking lot was full, but I had untracked all day. THAT IS, till I heard this comment. (It had snowed around 5 inches, after the famous Deer Valley groomers has done there job early in the A.M.)
    Texas Dude in a Bogner white one-piece to liftie: "I thought this was supposed to be the best grooming in the world, what's with all this powder!?"
    Liftie: "Um, sir, it snowed after we groomed."
    Bosshog: "Well, that's horseshit."
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by KillWW View Post
    While riding Gents Ridge at Aspen on Sunday, saw a fat, out of shape couple on their snowboards shimmying across the flats because they'd not had enough speed to make it to the lift:

Fat Guy: HONEY MOVE TO YOUR RIGHT AND HIT THAT POW!
    (Fat girl scooches her board into the fresh snow on the side of the trail)
    Fat Guy: YEAHHHHH HOW ABOUT THAT POW!!! AWESOME HONEY!!
    Fat Girl: But I'm not even moving!
    Fat Guy: THAT'S POW HONEY! ISN'T THAT SOMETHING?? THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!
    Fucking awesome!!

Midstation Blackcomb gondola. not even kidding.
    lmao, i heard some guy ask an instructor in line, "where do they put the moguls at night?" i practically peed laughing

Today at WP. Gaper,"what temperature do you think it is?" Me "one", gaper "that's not very many!"
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

Bump for Ansii. Instant classic. Still crying! Holy shit, Half fast-me too I guess.
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

"cool mp3 player"

"Western skiing is just so much better than eastern skiing" woman watching Meathead Films segment from Jay in the shop...
    If you're a relatively moral, ethical person, there's no inherent drive to kiss ass and beg for forgiveness and promise to never do it again, which is what mostly goes on in church. -YetiMan

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Oder View Post

"Cool mp3 player"
    Where did you pull your studfinder out at? A lodge or on a chair?
    That's kind of funny in itself.

Not a quote, but riding up the chair today at Mt. Snow I saw a guy duck a rope into the crusty snow, flail around barely holding it together, and then bury a ski, double eject, and tomahawk, then proceed to sneakily grab his skis and run back on piste assuming nobody saw what happened
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by 3snowboards View Post
    Where did you pull your studfinder out at? A lodge or on a chair?
    That's kind of funny in itself.
    Chair at JH, checking battery level. Followed up with:

Me: "Thanks! Done Cody Bowl yet?"
    Gaper: "Oh yeah, lots of times."

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Oder View Post
    Chair at JH, checking battery level. Followed up with:

Me: "Thanks! Done Cody Bowl yet?"
    Gaper: "Oh yeah, lots of times."

Isn't the chairlift always level.
    Don't you want to know how steep (unlevel) codybowl is?