Page 408 of 472 FirstFirst ... 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 ... LastLast
Results 10,176 to 10,200 of 11780
    You know I've never actually tried to lock a toe out on the shift and then bring the heel forward enough to click in. I guess it could work??

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    Am I the gaper?

Story:
    I’ve been seeing tons of people skiing in the resort lately on shifts with the toe pieces seemingly locked out (pulled up). I don’t own shifts but I noticed this on like 10%-20% of them.

So I told a guy I was riding the chair today with hey I think your toe pieces are in walk mode and he responded with “I know, you have to lock them out.”

I said oh ok thinking maybe I just don’t know how the binding works but why they hell would you lock the toe pieces on them? Doesn’t that defeat the entire purpose of the binding?

TLDR: Are there a bunch of idiots out there skiing with their shifts locked out or am I a gaper?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I tapped two separate people on the shoulder early season to let them know their shifts weren't in ski mode. Neither understood what I was telling them. Now, with covid, I just don't bother to lean in and explain, so I mind my own own business when I see it all too often.

I did also see someone with full touring boots skiing shifts in the resort, obviously toe up. Which makes sense from a use perspective, but did beg the question, why a shift and not a full tech binding if you can't use the ski mode?

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    You know I've never actually tried to lock a toe out on the shift and then bring the heel forward enough to click in. I guess it could work??
    I suppose it’s possible with like 1-2mm of your heel piece being clamped down? Hmm.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Am I the gaper?

Story:
    I’ve been seeing tons of people skiing in the resort lately on shifts with the toe pieces seemingly locked out (pulled up). I don’t own shifts but I noticed this on like 10%-20% of them.

So I told a guy I was riding the chair today with hey I think your toe pieces are in walk mode and he responded with “I know, you have to lock them out.”

I said oh ok thinking maybe I just don’t know how the binding works but why they hell would you lock the toe pieces on them? Doesn’t that defeat the entire purpose of the binding?

TLDR: Are there a bunch of idiots out there skiing with their shifts locked out or am I a gaper?

There are a shitload of them. I've done the same thing you did and had several people get very defensive, so I'm done pointing it out to people.

I actually don't think it matters functionally, but it does seem like you could snap that lever off really easily with it up. If you do that you're fucked and can't lock into walk mode.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    There are a shitload of them. I've done the same thing you did and had several people get very defensive, so I'm done pointing it out to people.
    This exactly!! He was so confident he was right that I figured he knew his setup. Really bizarre. Hope these people don’t end up hurt.

This exactly!! He was so confident he was right that I figured he knew his setup. Really bizarre. Hope these people don’t end up hurt. ]
    Same here, but only one time I had pointed out he was in climb mode. He got off the lift and skied away. I figured he either did it intentionally for personal reason, was embarrassed I noticed, or had no clue what I said to him.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That's insane. There are some dedicated BB hikers that lap the same runs every day after day after day. I asked about one once, and an old timer told me that the 'dedicated skier' took a lot of acid in the 70s and wasn't all there upstairs anymore. He wasn't crazy from it, just a plain and simple man now. Made a lotta sense.
    Slow dog noodle on bronco face back in the day was a mainstay. One piece, long hair, no hat.

Talked to a guy about his Shifts while in the tram line yesterday. Said he had the DIN set at 13 on the toes and still get's inadvertent release. Maybe that is why they're skiing with the toe locked out. Of course, he was also talking about dropping Corbett's on them. So I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    I actually don't think it matters functionally, but it does seem like you could snap that lever off really easily with it up. If you do that you're fucked and can't lock into walk mode.
    I've been wondering about whether or not it actually affects anything (aside from the potential for catching and snapping it you bring up). With normal tech toes, it would matter, and I'd probably mention it if I saw someone locked out in the liftline, but that's because I've forgotten to unlock my toes for descent more then a few times.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Talked to a guy about his Shifts while in the tram line yesterday. Said he had the DIN set at 13 on the toes and still get's inadvertent release. Maybe that is why they're skiing with the toe locked out. Of course, he was also talking about dropping Corbett's on them. So I don't know.
    But why would anyone be descending on pins at all? Issues with pre-release have been all about forward pressure on the heel.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    But why would anyone be descending on pins at all? Issues with pre-release have been all about forward pressure on the heel.
    You are assuming these people have even heard and understand “forward pressure “

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    You are assuming these people have even heard and understand “forward pressure “
    Good point.

FWIW, I've handled at least one case of a friend who was pre-releasing because he set the AFD how Solly recommends rather than a notch tighter. His FP was right on. Snugged up AFD and no more prerelease.

Quote Originally Posted by skiATL View Post

Also last Saturday, I was chillin at the Canyons Village (currently on DL), and this lady came in flustered that her husband's skis were stolen off the rack. I felt bad until she was very rude and said they were Rossi Soul 7s, that they were $1000 skis, and demanded to know what canyons would do to replace them.
    The wife may be a gaper, but the hubby is brilliant. He bought 2 pairs of skis but told his wife that the Soul 7s cost a grand.

If the second set of skis were for his girlfriend, they guy is a legend!

AFD plates and vibram sole touring boots aren't compatible anyways. Not sure why people are locking their toes out or for that matter why people are skiing aggressively with touring specific gear inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Not sure why people are locking their toes out or for that matter why people are skiing aggressively with touring specific gear inbounds.
    Because skiing has always been about fashion and expensive gear dick-swinging since it's inception?

Skill is only 20% important 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    or for that matter why people are skiing aggressively with touring specific gear inbounds.
    But that's the whole point of the shift. And yes, you can absolutely ski them aggressively. I can't really tell any difference from STH2's.

Or maybe you were just speaking generally about tech bindings inbounds, and if so, yeah, I don't get it either.

But that's the whole point of the shift. And yes, you can absolutely ski them aggressively. I can't really tell any difference from STH2's.

Or maybe you were just speaking generally about tech bindings inbounds, and if so, yeah, I don't get it either.
    Maybe it’s about getting some time on that set up
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Chick in line at T-line this weeked. Shifts, touring boots, full Norrona get up. And of course a backpack.

Saw her snow plowing down a green.
    Training for Alpental

My kid went to Cal, realized within a few weeks that if he was going to have any social life he was going to have to join a fraternity. The first one he ruled out was the one where they commented on the brand of clothing he was wearing. (He wound up joining a Southern based religiously oriented fraternity--however gamma chapter at Cal is just a little different.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My kid went to Cal, realized within a few weeks that if he was going to have any social life he was going to have to join a fraternity. The first one he ruled out was the one where they commented on the brand of clothing he was wearing. (He wound up joining a Southern based religiously oriented fraternity--however gamma chapter at Cal is just a little different.)
    When I was at Cal the frats weren’t allowed to throw parties for a few years because of some hazing deaths. Shitty social scene for sure... but I was living with my now ex wife anyway.

I've noticed a thing happening this season. It's not a new thing but seems to be orders of magnitude more prevalent now. People stopping in stupid places (over blind rises, etc.), or large groups gathering in the most ridiculous places, alike blocking all access to lift line access. Jeezus people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3714.JPG 
Views:	282 
Size:	644.7 KB 
ID:	362021

Not the best picture but dude in the bike helmet was giving skiing advice to Houston Oilers starter jacket. Gave me a good chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    Maybe it’s about getting some time on that set up
    This, or sometimes I go up early and skin a few laps before the chairs load and then continue on the same setup because I'm too lazy to go back to the car.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I've noticed a thing happening this season. It's not a new thing but seems to be orders of magnitude more prevalent now. People stopping in stupid places (over blind rises, etc.), or large groups gathering in the most ridiculous places, alike blocking all access to lift line access. Jeezus people.
    Yeah I’ve noticed this as well. Especially blocking the lift maze entry.