Heard today on Symphony Chair, Flute Bowl, Whistler:

"Why don't they groom in the trees?"
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post

If reading your previous posts did not tell me that you are a somewhat credible person, I would never believe this.

Best quote ever.

had a few on thursday at breck.

on the bus from the parking lots, older guy in a purple one-piece. his wife said that his shirt was inside out, to which he says "so are my underwear." lol the guy was funny though, ill give him that. he also liked the naked chick on my skis and told me to take care of her.

then later that day, im riding the peak 8 superconnect because i wanted to check out peak 8 a little. my face is covered in snow (all sticking to my beard), dude with a southern drawl looks at me and goes "looks like you've been to the top." i chuckle and tell him that ive been playing on chair 6 all day, and its real good over there. he asks me "are there any groomers over there?" doh!
    "If you are not nervous about your passion, you are not passionate enough about it."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...tionaries3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by khyber.pass View Post

Riding the lift one day with a Texan: "Why don't they just have porta-potties all over the mountain?"

I don't think Euro guys can compete with Texans, but here's my 2 ct:
    -Gondola. Grinning guy in tight pants looking at my ARGs says to his buddies in a louder-than-necessary voice, so I can hear it too: " I didn't know there was a lake up there!"

Quote Originally Posted by kiks View Post
    I don't think Euro guys can compete with Texans, but here's my 2 ct:
    -Gondola. Grinning guy in tight pants looking at my ARGs says to his buddies in a louder-than-necessary voice, so I can hear it too: " I didn't know there was a lake up there!"
    You should have asked him why he was wearing wetsuit pants then.

Gaper within a gaper moment

I hope some of you hard core's enjoy this Gaper Within a Gaper Moment:

So im a semi gaper myself having to live in nyc but i do get to alta bird often. Anyway in Jan we have a semi pow day at the bird and i take out a pair of Rossi s7s for the day. There are no other fatties for demo- which is sad but another story

This by itself could be construed as gaperdom. But continue with me. Anyway, im holding them outside against my shoulder waiting for my buddy to come out and two chubby gents come up to me with eyes a blazing and dont say anything, just staring mouths "agape" at me. The first one says:

Can I touch it?

I was not too sharp but there were a number of size type comebacks i wanted to unleash. e.g. "ever see one this big before"

In the grand stream of perspective it made me feel a little less gaperish....

PS The S7s did pretty well in the tiger tail area...wonder what other rocker types might do....
    Last edited by kbuzz; 02-14-2009 at 02:27 PM.

I saw a guy in Downtown Breck, yesterday, looking around all lost like. He kept referring to his Breckenridge TRAIL map.

At Brighton today, some snowboarder was standing at the top of a very minor choke, apparently "scoping his line". I ski past him, through the choke. He yells something about "his line." My wife skis down, also through the choke. Snowboarder yells "thanks a lot gapers!" Wife tells him to fuck off and quit standing around if he's so concerned about people taking his line.

I thought it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    At Brighton today, some snowboarder was standing at the top of a very minor choke, apparently "scoping his line". I ski past him, through the choke. He yells something about "his line." My wife skis down, also through the choke. Snowboarder yells "thanks a lot gapers!" Wife tells him to fuck off and quit standing around if he's so concerned about people taking his line.

I thought it was funny.
    I love it when a "bitch slap" is almost literal.

My buddy and I ski by two gapetastic boarders in the lift line today, me on my 186 EHPs, him on whatever length the 180ish JJs come in. Gapetastic boarder starts explaining to his friend why our skis are improperly sized. "Yeah dude, they size skis based on how big your foot is, so those guys are definitely using skis that are way too big." Awesome.

cannot be explained.
    Once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

^^^^^
    is that owen wilson

Heard on the lift Thursday
    "snowboarding is way better than skiing because you only have to remember one board when you go to the mountain"

Today I was riding solo at copper and another guy on the lift in deep southern accent asked me how the weather was like at the top of the pommel horse.

took me a few seconds to realize he was talking about the Storm King POMA lift.
    That'll teach me to ride the R.

I was lapping the Challenger complex at Mary Jane today, but riding the singles line on Super Gauge (it's usually faster when you're alone than Challenger, I've found).

Today was the day everyone decided to ask me what's in my pack. What the hell, it's a pack, I keep shit in it. And I'm hardly the only person carrying a pack on the mountain. I get that question sometimes, but this time it was every other lift ride. One guy got pretty worked up about the idea that I might really need it sometimes. He said, "I've been sking for 30 years, and I've never skied anything I needed a pack for." I pointed out the Indian Peaks; he was unconvinced. Then he complained that Hole In The Wall is too narrow and has a dogleg. I think he was annoyed when I said it was "kind of steep."

I was hanging out at a buddy's truck having a beer after skiing at copper yestersday and a fine specamin started heading our way. 80's green jacket, camo fanny pack, a method of ski cary that I had never witnessed. He had the heelpieces of his bindings resting on his poles and his poles over his shoulder hobo style so that the skis were vertical behind his back, balanced on the poles. My buddy said something to him and he stopped and proceded to extoll the virtues of the hobo style ski carry.

ha ha, had to post in this epic thread because it is high gaper season in alta, afterall.

I work at a chalet as a server/sous-chef. My boss, Bob, is awesome--puts up with some serious gaper comments while maintaining great composure. Last week:

Guest: Bob, how come you never ski with powder cords? They are soooo great.
    Bob: Because the point of skiing powder is to ski in control and not lose your shit.
    Guest: Well I can't believe you wouldn't even try it.
    Bob: Have you ever looked at the tag when you buy them? It says "Beater Cords."
    Guest: Well, I don't know what you're talking about, but you're wrong for not using them.

Riding the chair with a dude from St. Louis and another from Tenn.

Dude from St. Louis: What is the difference between a blue square and a green circle?

Dude from Tenn: I don't know. I think the green trails are wider......
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ccard257 View Post
    I was hanging out at a buddy's truck having a beer after skiing at copper yestersday and a fine specamin started heading our way. 80's green jacket, camo fanny pack, a method of ski cary that I had never witnessed. He had the heelpieces of his bindings resting on his poles and his poles over his shoulder hobo style so that the skis were vertical behind his back, balanced on the poles. My buddy said something to him and he stopped and proceded to extoll the virtues of the hobo style ski carry.
    Arkansas A frame?
    Live

So, Abe, what is the difference? You have to pole harder and skate more on green circles?

Mr. Gaper dad from Chigao-"Is the snow at The Canyons always THIS different from Park City Mountain? We were at Park City yesterday and this just seems so different. The snow that is."

Me- "Well, sir, yesterday was about 10 degrees colder than today, perhaps theres some melting going on."

Dumb question:

Can you be a beginner without being a gaper? I've debated this myself. I know its funny to laugh a people that don't have a fucking clue. I do it all the time. But I also really encourage people to get out there and learn...so I guess where is the line drawn between hilarious and good job getting out there and learning....Personally I think it's all about the person's attitude. If they seem to be having a good time, are respectful, want to learn and aren't whining then they could be wearing or doing anything dumb they want and I woun't see them as some object of amusement.
    Anyway...

I failed to describe what was going on the whole 10min lift ride up.

For the first 4min of the ride, the two jerkoff dip shits were screaming back @ their friend. I believe his name was "Rob". Apparantly they were under the impression that "Rob" likes little boys. My brother who was riding with me politely pointed out that their comments were inappropriate and told them to shut their fucking cake holes. They remained silent for what I thought would be the rest of the ride. Until one the geniuses asked the other, the gaper quote posted by Moi above......

As for the difference (green v. blue) circle vs. square....I really don't know or fucking care.

Can you be a beginner without being a gaper? YES. Just don't act like a fucking asshole and wear really stupid looking shit.
    Last edited by abe froman; 02-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Dumb question:

Can you be a beginner without being a gaper? I've debated this myself. I know its funny to laugh a people that don't have a fucking clue. I do it all the time. But I also really encourage people to get out there and learn...so I guess where is the line drawn between hilarious and good job getting out there and learning....Personally I think it's all about the person's attitude. If they seem to be having a good time, are respectful, want to learn and aren't whining then they could be wearing or doing anything dumb they want and I woun't see them as some object of amusement.
    Anyway...
    YES....Don't talk. Just listen.