Page 316 of 472 FirstFirst ... 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 ... LastLast
Results 7,876 to 7,900 of 11780
    Quote Originally Posted by peds View Post
    A girl here in Chamonix mashed her knee something rotten after taking a tumble on the Ronde a couple of years ago. She actually got off lightly, she nearly flew clean off the end of it. This year, she has been able to start skinning up the pistes and taking the lift down. Inspiring stuff.

Some of you guys should try to be a little more tolerant of people's circumstances, yo.
    I'm not sorry, but if you can skin up to the top of a lift, you can ski down, yo.

She should gtfo the hill. There are plenty of places for rehab.

#notagym
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm not sorry, but if you can skin up to the top of a lift, you can ski down, yo.
    Nah, that's simply not true.

#chilloutbroseph
    Short stories about snow and rock, and pictures, too

Quote Originally Posted by EVC_CO View Post
    On the lift some teenage tourists were using the term “Jerry” as a verb. Something like “did you see me Jerry on that run? I never jerry’ed like that before!” They were all on rental gear and obviously having a blast.
    Jerry of the Day just used Jerry as a verb yesterday and they do it occasionally. Probably where they got it from.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Is it jerry to ski up the hill.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by iceclimb View Post
    We were denied cookies and hot chocolate.... being told " This is a service only for people taking lessons".

The woman behind the counter seemed nice enough, but not able to respond to my "Well.. I'm teaching him how to ski, give me a cookie and a hot chocolate"
    Sir, you may have paid $170 for you and your son to ski today, of $700 for the season, but this is a COOKIE, and cookies are reserved for our high-dollar clientele. Nah, you're not a gaper for asking for a cookie for a 7 yr old

"the official countdown to stoke"

Quote Originally Posted by m1ab34 View Post
    Jerry of the Day just used Jerry as a verb yesterday and they do it occasionally. Probably where they got it from.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    I guess I’m the gaper for not keeping up with the lingo as defined by the great JOTD ski crash aggregator

on a gondola in snowbassin I was talking with my buddy about nikwax and some middle age dude asked me where I bought it because he was interested in getting some for his jeans

Name:  image1_2H_2H1_en-us.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  88.0 KB
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Quote Originally Posted by backcountrybummer View Post
    on a gondola in snowbassin I was talking with my buddy about nikwax and some middle age dude asked me where I bought it because he was interested in getting some for his jeans
    Iceman is on the mend and back on skis!?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    was this the thread ridiculing the inbounds uphill traveler? i came across a couple groups at timberline on a busy saturday and it seems like the difference between a downhill skier and an uphill skinner (somebody suggested that your responsibilities are the same and the reactions would be comparable when face with either), the uphill skinners are hugging the tree line coming uphill. watching from the lift, one couple i saw was literally hidden from uphill view from a large field of view because of how close to the edge of the run they were. obviously, everybody needs to be prepared to stop at any moment but it looks more dangerous than encountering a downed skier who ends up in a typical position from traveling downhill.

plus it just seems stupid that if you want to get back to nature and get some non-motorized uphill travel, why would you do it inbounds? i just don't get it. i would feel like a sitting duck with missiles flying by everywhere.
    I think this was the thread ridiculing uphill skiers for being in the middle of the run. I think there is another thread for ridiculing people for skinning at the edge of the run.

While I have no interest in skinning inbounds the obvious reasons people do it are because they may be learning and groomed trails are a lot easier both up and down and because the inbounds offpiste is avalanche controlled. The only area around here that sanctions uphill (to my knowledge) is sugar bowl, which requires skinners to be on the side of the trail.

Anyway, there is a thread in the padded room for shit that annoys you.

if you uphill at a resort when lifts are spinning ur a pretentious piece of shit
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

What about hiking / snowshoeing up groomed runs? Folks do both at Vail, hike up, and take the gondi down. Is that more or less annoying than skinning up the groomer? Seems like a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    if you uphill at a resort when lifts are spinning ur a pretentious piece of shit
    While this may be hard for you to understand--not every human behavior is a cry for attention. Sometimes people do things and actually don't give a shit about what kind of impression they're making.

pretentious
    ..... attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Please tell us about your rope ducking citation again.

Maybe throw in some meat photography or samples from your penknife collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You guys don’t get it.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    While this may be hard for you to understand--not every human behavior is a cry for attention. Sometimes people do things and actually don't give a shit about what kind of impression they're making.
    non sequitur much
    Zone Controller

John Gaston is a pretentious piece of shit? The Cripple Creek BackCountry guys are pretentious pieces of shit? Any ski tourer who doesn't have a partner on a high avy danger day but still wants to tour on skis, so they uphill at the resort is a pretentious piece of shit?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

From a buddy back east

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    John Gaston is a pretentious piece of shit? The Cripple Creek BackCountry guys are pretentious pieces of shit? Any ski tourer who doesn't have a partner on a high avy danger day but still wants to tour on skis, so they uphill at the resort is a pretentious piece of shit?
    basically, ya

you dont see mike wilson skinning up some fucking green run to get to the fingers
    Zone Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    What about hiking / snowshoeing up groomed runs? Folks do both at Vail, hike up, and take the gondi down. Is that more or less annoying than skinning up the groomer? Seems like a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
    there is snowshoeing inbounds at timberline, too. i'm not saying either shouldn't be allowed, but it makes me uncomfortable. the shock can be enough to make some folks crash i'm sure.

gaper vs. gaper

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kramer v kramer.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	221612

i'm not sure how hoffman slapping streep around for the role works in here. streep is the helpless skier gaper on the green run? hoffman is the aggro skateboarder who never learned to snowboard for shit who comes into the liftline hot and takes her out?

Heh. Once again, the best gaper quote is in The Best Gaper Qoute thread. Well played, Drew.

skinning up is more prevalent at some places vs others so I think the comfort level varies with region
    we do it a lot here bc we have the excellent town ski hill, Snow King but I forget how commonplace it is to us when visitors are perplexed by it
    The cool thing about snow king is that it doesn't open until 10am so you can skin up anytime prior without DH skiers (aside from patrol etc obvi)
    skid luxury

Whatever. If they can stay visible, idgaf. Just don't want to come over a roller on top of one, not that I am really charging over a blind one these days. If they don't affect me, it doesn't affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by pipedream View Post
    From a buddy back east

Shoulda peed on it. Totally frozen.