Page 193 of 471 FirstFirst ... 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,825 of 11762
    If you have to ask for a local's discount, you're not a local.

Was in Breck a few winters ago, and a friend of a friend "who owns a condo," was asking for a locals discount super loudly at a burger place (forget which one). It was super awkward, and it was a timeshare her father owned. Needless to say, our waiter didn't do much to help my opinion of her being a full-on douche.

@Underoos: Exactly! I can either tell - or you're nice enough to earn one anyways

@Anospa: haha awesome.
    I am the dirt you created.

So I just get on the lift for last chair at Abasin this past Friday. The older gentleman next to me is a chunky fella with some sort of patterned jacket and a light purple backpack. I look over at him and I'm about to say hello when he blurts out....

"I'm a local"

I immediately just start laughing and say to him, "OK, well that's a way to start a conversation." Then he says...."Do you live in Denver?" Then, I say no, I'm a dentist in Frisco.

Guy doesn't say another word the rest of the lift ride. It was bizarre. Some downloading employees scream "Hey Charlie" when we past by. Who knows this guy?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

He lives at A Basin?

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    So I just get on the lift for last chair at Abasin this past Friday. The older gentleman next to me is a chunky fella with some sort of patterned jacket and a light purple backpack. I look over at him and I'm about to say hello when he blurts out....

"I'm a local"

I immediately just start laughing and say to him, "OK, well that's a way to start a conversation." Then he says...."Do you live in Denver?" Then, I say no, I'm a dentist in Frisco.

Guy doesn't say another word the rest of the lift ride. It was bizarre. Some downloading employees scream "Hey Charlie" when we past by. Who knows this guy?
    Yeah, Charlie is a fixture. He's a little weird, and for a guy who has logged 100 days a year since Eisenhower was a president and not a tunnel (not really, but a long time), you'd think he'd be a better skier. Powder mag did a story on him a couple of years ago when abasin had him 86'd from the parking lot where he'd been camping for a few months. He didn't live there all the time, but he camped in the HN lot frequently. AB wanted to get out of the dirtbag business and had plans to expand the parking, so they asked him to leave several times and then called the sheriff. He ended up hanging out in jail for a few weeks when he refused to leave and wouldn't just accept a plea deal. It ended up being one of those little guy vs. big guy stories... But you know you got a little guy on your hands when abasin is the big guy (no, they aren't owned by vail).

Charlie is local for sure. And if he rubbed you the wrong way, you probably read that correctly. Dude's a trip...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Wow, I had no idea I had met a legend.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-03-10_12-42-44_422.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	322.1 KB 
ID:	152320

!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

buddy buys a sled ...

"I'm not going to learn to sled, I only want to snowboard"

well thats great and all, but I DON'T WANT TO DIG YOUR SORRY ASS OUT EVERY 5 FARKING MINUTES COZ YOU CAN'T HOLD THE LINE UP A CREEK !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Those dam wannabe sled boarders eh......

Couldn't help myself!!!!!! Bahahahhahahahahhahahah

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    +100000001

Don't know if this has been posted:
    http://beatermeter.tumblr.com/
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Was coaching, and saw two women crowded around a maybe 13 year old kid who was sitting down in the middle of the run. I stopped to see what was the matter, and the mom said "he has a bloody nose! Can you call ski patrol!" as she points to my radio - as if I am in direct contact with them. She was actually angry with me that my radio only communicated to fellow coaches, she kept screaming at me "why cant you just call them!" and at the same time one of my 7 year olds I was coaching was asking the kid why he can't just ski down HAHA

If I wasn't in my uniform I would have just skied off, but as it was I went to the nearest emergency phone and called ski patrol trying to hold back laughter.

Not a quote but:

I'm @Abasin, skiing solo; waiting to board a triple lift.
    A guy skis up next to me and pauses for a split second, then proceeds to ski forward to presumably join the group of two that is about to sit down.

The chair comes around the bullwheel, rocks the guy in the hip, knocks him out of one of his skis, and throws him about 20 feet forward.

Everyone was surprised.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by nemophilist View Post
    Was coaching, and saw two women crowded around a maybe 13 year old kid who was sitting down in the middle of the run. I stopped to see what was the matter, and the mom said "he has a bloody nose! Can you call ski patrol!" as she points to my radio - as if I am in direct contact with them. She was actually angry with me that my radio only communicated to fellow coaches, she kept screaming at me "why cant you just call them!" and at the same time one of my 7 year olds I was coaching was asking the kid why he can't just ski down HAHA

If I wasn't in my uniform I would have just skied off, but as it was I went to the nearest emergency phone and called ski patrol trying to hold back laughter.
    hitchhiked to the Winds back in the day to climb for a month--a couple of miles in passed two teens hiking out, one of them with dried blood on his face. Apparently he had a disagreement with a bear over a fish. Bleeding had stopped. Claw marks not particularly deep. Vital signs normal. We had no car. They were still extremely pissed we didn't go back with them to the very busy campground.

Extremely important to have emergency phones handy at all higher altitude resorts, due to the frequency of nosebleeds due to low humidity. And defibrillators for the really bad nose bleeds.

I feel bad for the kid but most of us had to deal with mothers growing up--he'll probably get over it (but then Norman Bates comes to mind.)

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    Exactafuckinlutely!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Knee pads\lame.
    Outside the pants? Yes

Wouldn't ski without them.

I'm quite the Jong myself, so I hesitate to contribute...

Sitting at the base at Steamboat today, covertly watching my kid in ski school. Gaper was sitting on the wall next to where I was. It was warm and slushy at the base and I made some comment about it, as the kids in little kid ski school were having trouble even sliding at all.

Gaper said, "yeah it's really melting fast.....I bet they have to bring more in every night."

I then realized I might have just heard a gaper comment, and said no more. Maybe I misunderstood...

It snowed a bit last week in Steamboat, I heard someone on Lincoln say "I can't believe someone spray painted all those signs white!". To their credit it was night time but....

"WHEEEEE---HOOOOO!!!!!!!!" by a snowboarder who side slipped D8 top to bottom today. (And it wasn't even firm.)

Going up the lift at Squaw the other day with a boarder,

Me: Man, I skipped out on the Cascade concrete for Sierra cement.
    Dude: Yeah, where you from?
    Me: Oregon
    Dude: Wow, that’s a looonnng ways from here, brah.
    Me: Yeah, where you from?
    Dude: Maui.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah. Never seen one, myself. Unless you consider a liftie an emergency phone.
    Yah - not sure where you guys are from - but here in Colorado they have them scattered about on the hill usually. They look like a normal sign for a run - but they're read and have a phone attached to them. Has come in pretty handy.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    I'm quite the Jong myself, so I hesitate to contribute...

Sitting at the base at Steamboat today, covertly watching my kid in ski school. Gaper was sitting on the wall next to where I was. It was warm and slushy at the base and I made some comment about it, as the kids in little kid ski school were having trouble even sliding at all.

Gaper said, "yeah it's really melting fast.....I bet they have to bring more in every night."

I then realized I might have just heard a gaper comment, and said no more. Maybe I misunderstood...
    Haha well you're clearly more aware then anybody mentioned on this thread. Was on the lift the other day and some people from Dallas asked me how long the resorts keep the snow around - as if it was there by choice. LET THERE BE SNOW - SAID THE RESORT GODS.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nemophilist View Post
    Yah - not sure where you guys are from - but here in Colorado they have them scattered about on the hill usually. They look like a normal sign for a run - but they're read and have a phone attached to them. Has come in pretty handy.

i never would have thought about emergency phones spread around the hill. doesn't seem like a bad idea honestly. could save 5 minutes which might be the difference for somebody.