Page 382 of 472 FirstFirst ... 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 ... LastLast
Results 9,526 to 9,550 of 11780
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There must be a story behind the gear; surely you asked.
    My conversation was:
    Old Guy: "Can I put the bar down"
    Me (not old): "Go ahead"
    7 minutes later...
    Old Guy: Can I raise the bar now"
    Me: "Yup"

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Was that Bobby Stainless?

That one [Austrian?] factory whose name I can't recall did (and maybe still does) do a brisk business in high-end branded sticks. I actually have a pair (not Ferrari, but another fancy clothing brand - long story not worth the time). They come in a branded bag, cost too much money and are pretty nicely made euro-style carvers.

Haven't been on them in years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Heard a boom from a distant avalanche bomb go off at a neighboring ski area yesterday. Group under the chair's conversation that I caught from the chair-
    "OMG what was that?" (yeah, they said OMG...)
    "Avalanches"
    "What? Avalanches?" They all proceed to look around in amazement, thinking they'll see snow sliding around the mountains.
    "Yeah, or thunder-snow"
    "Thunder-snow?"
    "Yeah, like thunder when it is snowing?"
    "Whooooaaaa"

My conversation was:
    Old Guy: "Can I put the bar down"
    Me (not old): "Go ahead"
    7 minutes later...
    Old Guy: Can I raise the bar now"
    Me: "Yup"
    At least he asked instead of bashing you in the back of the head with the bar unexpectedly, the time-honored gaper way.

Quote Originally Posted by phishstx View Post
    At least he asked instead of bashing you in the back of the head with the bar unexpectedly, the time-honored gaper way.
    If someone bashes me with the bar, it's only because they tried to put it down instantly, like before we leave the lift station. In that case I then refuse to put the bar down. I tell them they lost their opportunity to use the bar properly.

It drives me nuts when the lines are minimal, with plenty of empty chairs, and people are like "are you guys two, are you four, can we join."
    I don't want to small chat about Illinois, or about the weather, or "where y'all from". Just wait for your own fucking chair. (and get off my lawn).

We were admonished by a French liftie at the top for not putting the bar down one time. Seems to be a serious infraction over there. It comes down real fast.

If someone bashes me with the bar, it's only because they tried to put it down instantly, like before we leave the lift station. In that case I then refuse to put the bar down. I tell them they lost their opportunity to use the bar properly.
    Hahah I would love to spend a lift ride with captain badass here while we both fight with each other trying to move the bar in opposite directions. Then I'd pretend to give up, only to sloooooooowly try sneaking it down a minute later.

It drives me nuts when the lines are minimal, with plenty of empty chairs, and people are like "are you guys two, are you four, can we join."
    I don't want to small chat about Illinois, or about the weather, or "where y'all from". Just wait for your own fucking chair. (and get off my lawn).
    get off my ski area with that shit attitude. we need a "best aggro local quote of the weekend" thread for people like you.

Mtn locals love tossing out "where are you from?" within 30 seconds or less in a conversation. It is their standard power move.

After they get exposed for their economic despair they usually go with "must be nice to have all that but I have this as my backyard" and then the little smirk.

Lol

Help me understand.

Are you having such an enormous rad day that any random conversation on the chair will ruin it?
    Are you having such a bad day that you have withdrawn from reality?
    Is your music really that good?
    Or are you just unfriendly?

Don’t you want to spread your joy of the mountains with everyone?

Pull yourself out of your hermit crab shell, enjoy the day and the opportunity to possibly meet some interesting people.

I’d say that behavior would be hazardous to your health.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Mtn locals love tossing out "where are you from?" within 30 seconds or less in a conversation. It is their standard power move.

After they get exposed for their economic despair they usually go with "must be nice to have all that but I have this as my backyard" and then the little smirk.

Lol
    Some of us make plenty good money but choose to convince you otherwise. Deep-down, being a dirtbag while milking the corporate teat is every core skier's dream. Yeah, sometimes I gotta pass-up on first chair or take a conference call in the BC, but I'm still getting laps in while you're sitting in traffic. This reminds me, I need to get back to work so I can skin a lap or two this evening from my front door.

And let the record show that, yesterday, when there was still a line for the padded seats, I rolled solo because I didn't want to share my beer with anyone.

I'm going to have to agree with not cramming everyone on the same chair when there's no line. Not to avoid conversation, but really just to have more space on the ride up and be more comfortable. You wouldn't sit right next to someone in a nearly empty movie theater, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    We were admonished by a French liftie at the top for not putting the bar down one time. Seems to be a serious infraction over there. It comes down real fast.
    I've ridden chairs over there where the bar comes down automatically and immediately. I learned to manage my pack quickly real fast. Easy to leave skis, poles, and/or pack behind if not on your game.

But the weirdest chair I've ridden was one in Courmayeur where you unload as the chair is going around the bullwheel, so there's a strong centrifugal component to the unload. Caught me unawares the first time, but I stayed upright. Did you, Benny? :--)

This is true. Lifties in Euroland will yell at you if you don't have the bar down before you're out of the base structure and/or stop the lift. Hence why some Euros might crush our head/helmet/thigh/ski with the rapid pull-down whilst skiing in the US. Not a gaper move, just what they're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    My main ski partner does this all the time; obnoxious and redundant. I'm not the most forthright for having a conversation on a 5min lift ride, but if you start talking, visitors will usually bring it up without you asking them. There's nothing gained from trying to prove how "local" you are with that power move, at least not from my experience living in Aspen. Most skiers visiting Aspen are mellow and nice and MANY have years/decades of experience here, sometimes with more days on the hill than the newjack bro trying to thresh them out verbally.

My wife & sister were skiing Aspen Highlands a number of years ago - they pulled up to one of the chairs where there was a solo dude. They asked if they could ride with him, to which he replied "I don't ride with other people"... so when the next chair came around, they skied out and the solo dude just stood there and waited for another chair.

Seems reasonable. If you have an issue filling up the chair, you're gonna either wait or get over it.

We were admonished by a French liftie at the top for not putting the bar down one time.
    Maybe he recognized who you were?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Help me understand.

Are you having such an enormous rad day that any random conversation on the chair will ruin it?
    Are you having such a bad day that you have withdrawn from reality?
    Is your music really that good?
    Or are you just unfriendly?

Don’t you want to spread your joy of the mountains with everyone?

Pull yourself out of your hermit crab shell, enjoy the day and the opportunity to possibly meet some interesting people.
    Ha!!! I’ve thought the same thing before... Maybe it’s just the social media culture where people don’t know how to have a convo anymore.

Canadians are friendly on chairs. And they aren’t as attached to their phones/headphones as Americans.

Kid at cafe: mom this bag of chips we brought up is all puffed up!
    Mom: DON'T OPEN IT! IT COULD EXPLODE
    6y/o in my ski group: Don't worry I can do it for you.
    Me: don't worry - she really wants to do bomb disposal when she grows up - she's very qualified.

Today, heard above me on the ski lift: "Como se dice, get out of the way?"

I think it was an American saying it (For the non-Spanish speakers, como se dice is "how do you say").

they are Dynastar $...799 on sale r now> I 'll stick w my Evel Knevil's when I feel sporty
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    they are Dynastar $...799 on sale r now> I 'll stick w my Evel Knevil's when I feel sporty
    WTF--anyone can buy them? You don't have to prove you own a Ferrari? That totally sucks. Last time I drop 3K on skis and bindings. (That's the MSRP--and if you were hoping to buy for 799 they're out of stock, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    and if you were hoping to buy for 799 they're out of stock, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.)
    Plenty of 161 cms left..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Went to a resort employees party where a lifty started up a conversation. You work here? Yeah Blue coat. Well you don't ski like you are from here. Not sure what he was implying.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363