Page 360 of 472 FirstFirst ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 ... LastLast
Results 8,976 to 9,000 of 11780
    Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    As opposed to...?
    Yeah I guess he was just normal French. Heh.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yeah I guess he was just normal French. Heh.
    The snootiness comes in degrees.

One of my best friends is from Alsace. He usually doesn't make those of thin skin cry when things aren't to his liking.

His girlfriend's step-father is from Bordeaux. Stepdaddy screamed at his wife in front of all of us at Thanksgiving dinner when she didn't cut the pumpkin roll on a bias.

Last year a brother was physically assualted by a family friend for "disrespecting" a glass of wine.

I never turn down their invitation to dinner.

I regularly see people walking around town/ on the bus in ski boots after talking public transport back from the mountain. I guess they cant figure it out to put shoes/ sliders in the backpack?

We are an hourish on a train away from the closet lifts.

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

This just made me smile . . . after an 11 inch storm last night, guy behind me on the way to lift says to his friend, "Think we'll need longer poles!"

Sitting in the base lodge this morning, overheard a couple having a conversation about how dangerous it was to have all these bags under tables etc. Guy says if he ran this place, everyone would be required to keep their bags in lockers downstairs. Wife agreed and added that it spooked her to which he agreed. He then said he might go speak with management because its really a homeland security concern, to which she agreed.

Yup, ISIS has a big list of strategic hits, and I'm sure the Hunter lodge is high on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    I regularly see people walking around town/ on the bus in ski boots after talking public transport back from the mountain. I guess they cant figure it out to put shoes/ sliders in the backpack?

We are an hourish on a train away from the closet lifts.

Maybe he doesn't want to tour with his street boots in his pack. Maybe he just doesn't want dirty boots in with the other stuff in his pack. Maybe the boots don't fit in the pack. When I take the bus from Chamonix to Grand Montets I do it wearing my ski boots. I don't see the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsG View Post
    This just made me smile . . . after an 11 inch storm last night, guy behind me on the way to lift says to his friend, "Think we'll need longer poles!"
    My adjustable poles are at 125 for firm, 130 for soft, 135 for powder, 140 (max) for longer skates or hikes. Try it, you'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Sitting in the base lodge this morning, overheard a couple having a conversation about how dangerous it was to have all these bags under tables etc. Guy says if he ran this place, everyone would be required to keep their bags in lockers downstairs. Wife agreed and added that it spooked her to which he agreed. He then said he might go speak with management because its really a homeland security concern, to which she agreed.
    I don't agree with putting the bags in lockers downstairs--they're still a homeland security concern. People shouldn't be allowed to bring boot bags to the lodge, or alternatively, all bags should be searched. Any bags left unattended should be taken by patrol to the top of a loaded chute and detonated--kill two birds with one stone. (Actually, bags in the lodge are a PITA--piled on tables, chairs, under tables to the point where there's nowhere for people to eat lunch.)

Funny that the two most intensive security checks I've been through were for a flight into Jackson Hole from SLC (before 9/11--back in the 80's I think) and from Cordova to Seattle.

I count 1 gaper quote and 2 gaper posts.

"where are we?" ....

gaper couple at the summit of 49N,
    top of chair 1,
    looking at the huge trail map

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtr0t View Post
    "where are we?" ....

gaper couple at the summit of 49N,
    top of chair 1,
    looking at the huge trail map

Is this a trick question? You already gave the answer : )

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is this a trick question? You already gave the answer : )
    you're smarter than they are ....

mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    In Sapporo, talking to a somewhat snooty French guy, asked where we were from. We said Northern California. We asked the same. He said, "I come from a place called Mammoth Lakes, you probably haven't heard of it."

1. No one who's actually from Mammoth would ever say "Mammoth Lakes."
    2. We already told him we were from Nor Cal.
    3. I was wearing a Mammoth t-shirt.
    I rode the lift with a lady that said she was originally from Mammoth Lakes this weekend. She also told me they would get 7' of snow overnight. The only thing I could think of to politely respond with was "wow, that's a lot of snow"

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    I rode the lift with a lady that said she was originally from Mammoth Lakes this weekend. She also told me they would get 7' of snow overnight. The only thing I could think of to politely respond with was "wow, that's a lot of snow" ....
    many here would gladly take that 7 inches ....
    of snow that is

mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtr0t View Post
    many here would gladly take that 7 inches ....
    of snow that is

If you were to get 7 inches it wouldn't be from me. And no, she said 7 FEET of snow

​that IS a lot of snow

mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by lake_effect View Post
    I rode the lift with a lady that said she was originally from Mammoth Lakes this weekend. She also told me they would get 7' of snow overnight. The only thing I could think of to politely respond with was "wow, that's a lot of snow"

I once rode a lift with a woman who said there would be 20 feet of snow over the weekend. But that was before global warming.

A little kid flying down the hill out of control, frantically trying to pizza, heading directly at a slow sign . . . and ducking under it.

Not quotes, but a lot of people riding Headwall today trying to figure the easy way down (there really isn't one).

Not quote or gaper, but here's something you won't see at Squaw Valley--a missile intercepted.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/vide...ia-iran-2019-1

A little kid flying down the hill out of control, frantically trying to pizza, heading directly at a slow sign . . . and ducking under it.
    Mine like to do that then ollie over the sign. Makes them giggle, especially when chased by the safety volunteers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Mine like to do that then ollie over the sign. Makes them giggle, especially when chased by the safety volunteers.
    may they never get caught

Unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Maybe he doesn't want to tour with his street boots in his pack. Maybe he just doesn't want dirty boots in with the other stuff in his pack. Maybe the boots don't fit in the pack. When I take the bus from Chamonix to Grand Montets I do it wearing my ski boots. I don't see the problem.
    Maybe...

But most of these people are not with touring gear, there are lockers everywhere, and it's an extra 3 hours of the day wearing ski boots.

I find it very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Woolly the Mammoth View Post
    As I was loading a chair today, the lifty was blasting the Eagle's song Hotel California. I skied up and said "I hate the fucking Eagles Man!" He looked at me like he had no idea what I was talking about.
    Get out of my cab

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

may they never get caught
    Last year at CB my then 16 year old tried to ollie the snow fence protecting the traverse into Half Pipe Gulley. Pretty good drop off on the other side, very short tight take off. Was going to be a nice sweet air, but he catches a tip in the fence. Partially rips the fence out, does a full Superman, falls many feet and loses half his shit. Luckily it’s real steep underneath and he didn’t hurt himself real bad. My wife is closest to him but can’t help him cause she is laughing too hard to breathe. This CB old timer that happened to be standing there watching the whole thing kinda waits for it to quiet down. Just as we are catching our breath and wiping the tears from our eyes dude looks at him and deadpans “I give that an 8 out of 10” and skis away. Another two minutes of laughing too hard to breathe.

Moral: ollies can be fun. For spectators.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I separated my shoulder over 10 years ago while playing around and doing ollies over this foam covered pipe for snowmaking at breck. I made it the first 3 times, but by number 4 the "takeoff" bump I was using was all but gone and I yard-saled hard. Shoulder is still fucked up. I'm sure any spectators who saw it thought I was quite an idiot.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone walking through a ski area parking lot with a plastic sled I could afford a Vail day pass.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    If I had a dollar for every time I saw someone walking through a ski area parking lot with a plastic sled I could afford a Vail day pass.
    If I had a family with a couple-three-four smaller kids, I’d be adding money to your fund.

Another one from yesterday--get on the KT chair with another single and 2 guys. The other single--older guy, beard and curled mustache, unidentifiable middle European accent asks me if my skis (Backland 109's) are my touring skis. Which would be odd, since they have alpine bindings. He asks me if they work for resort skiing? Yes, they do. He then lost interest in me and proceeded to talk to the other two guys nonstop for the rest of the ride--full review of the skis he was wearing, full review of the skis the other two guys were wearing, full review of the skis he was considering buying. Later in the day I skied past him at the top of some lift or other and he greeted me like a long lost friend. I just got lost again.

On second thought--poser, rather than gaper. Do we need a poser thread or is it ok to post about posers here. Mods?