Page 364 of 472 FirstFirst ... 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 ... LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,100 of 11780
    Not so much a gaper quote, as making light of a difficult situation.

I was coming down backside on Yellow Trail and into the flat i was going to rock this little windlip. it held, my ski held, and i tumbled. Lost ski.
    Gave up looking for it and had to ski down to Sugarloaf, then to Sunnyside, then down the rope tow to Wildcat on one ski.
    Of course, everyone is looking at me kind of weird. so rather than explain "lost ski" i just said
    "Half off sale" and floundered past them.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Oof, think I saw you from the lift. Forlorn looking guy digging with his ski for what seemed like an hour in that chopped up mess on Tuesday?

The answer is *Powder Ribbons*...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    The answer is *Powder Ribbons*...

As gaper as powder ribbons are, I actually saw a successful retrieval yesterday using those lame things.

Today, at a quad chair with a half full maze and filling up quickly. We're rolling onto the ramp with a completed group of 4, a single slides next to/in front of us.

We say to him, "Hey, we already have 4."

He replies, "I was here first!"

That's not how it works, buddy. The lifty went over to set him straight and must've said fuck it, this guy is an ass, because he managed to snag a chair solo, 3 chairs behind us.

Somebody insisting that the Tram at Snowbird is actually called a gondola.....

Nope. that poor guy may still be looking. Mine happened yesterday.
    and it has a happy ending.
    I grabbed another pair of skis, retraced my steps and found my ski.
    The gaper hook was how i managed to not find it the first time, 4 feet from where i was looking.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    As gaper as powder ribbons are, I actually saw a successful retrieval yesterday using those lame things.
    interesting....

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    I briefly contemplated them after spending three hours hunting for a ski under Sugarloaf a few years ago. Never pulled the trigger though.

My ski submarined onto some hardpack under about a foot of fresh and traveled like 100 yards down slope.

only gapers have their DIN set low enough to actually lose a ski, lots of gapers here I see.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    only gapers have their DIN set low enough to actually lose a ski, lots of gapers here I see.
    Ya, cos it is 1975...

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

Steamboat today was pretty empty, but this guy had an interesting pole strategy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8524.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	266470...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Haha. What’s the story? Pole plant gone wrong? X2

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Haha. What’s the story? Pole plant gone wrong? X2
    Chair lift with mid-station. Jong hangs poles on armrest ("safety bar") and forgets about them when going through mid-station. Ends up with very special bent poles or half-poles. Seen it plenty. Always amusing.

Smith V-Bends; you know you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I briefly contemplated them after spending three hours hunting for a ski under Sugarloaf a few years ago. Never pulled the trigger though.

My ski submarined onto some hardpack under about a foot of fresh and traveled like 100 yards down slope.
    Ribbons probably wouldn't have helped you or me in a past similar situation; however, i am still considering them.

Porpoising pow down a chute at mt rose and lost a ski. I looked for about 20 minutes. Serendipitously, a skiier shot 100 meters down below me found my ski in the bottom of a tree. I skiied down, thankful as hell, and continued the pow day. Should have had my dins to 18 instead of 11.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Not a gaper quote, but something I’ve never seen before. At JH today, a snowboarder sitting in the middle of the trail (that’s nothing new) but in this case, she was eating snow.

Odd thing I noticed in Niseko. Night skiing, snowing hard, and Japanese snowboarder girls would be laying down in the middle of the trail sprawled out and their friends were taking vanity shots. I thought it was an isolated incident at first then saw several more groups doing the same.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Maybe this belongs here. I'm old. I rode the lift with a guy named Yuri and after some banter I asked him where his accent was from. "Bellevue" he said with a smile. PNW inside joke. Guy was cool. So I asked if he would like a bit of off piste onto a side trail that led past a XC warming hut to see some mountain views and he said he was up for it. We ski down on XC trails to the occupied hut, stop and look around. I look at him and in a serious tone ask him "Do you know why I brought you here?" Pause..... "I have a medical condition and I need to have someone nearby to dial 911 if I pass out." Guess he thought I was serious as he beat me back to the lift by 6 chairs.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by core2 View Post
    Probably needs the pow days for his anger management.
    LMAO, yes the new snowflake therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Odd thing I noticed in Niseko. Night skiing, snowing hard, and Japanese snowboarder girls would be laying down in the middle of the trail sprawled out and their friends were taking vanity shots. I thought it was an isolated incident at first then saw several more groups doing the same.
    This is a real Asian girl thing right now. Saw it on my last two Europe trips, especially the last. I thought it was Chinese, maybe I'm just seeing the Japanese do it, or both. It's a strange, narcissistic activity, many a time just with one and a selfie stick. I think it's catching on here with the mid teen set.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Another one from yesterday--get on the KT chair with another single and 2 guys. The other single--older guy, beard and curled mustache, unidentifiable middle European accent asks me if my skis (Backland 109's) are my touring skis. Which would be odd, since they have alpine bindings. He asks me if they work for resort skiing? Yes, they do. He then lost interest in me and proceeded to talk to the other two guys nonstop for the rest of the ride--full review of the skis he was wearing, full review of the skis the other two guys were wearing, full review of the skis he was considering buying. Later in the day I skied past him at the top of some lift or other and he greeted me like a long lost friend. I just got lost again.

On second thought--poser, rather than gaper. Do we need a poser thread or is it ok to post about posers here. Mods?
    That was me.
    I just thought it was odd to ski the backlands in the resort. Romanian accent.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

And interesting, the first time i read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    That was me.
    I just thought it was odd to ski the backlands in the resort. Romanian accent.

Touring them with alpine bindings would have been even odder.
    You should have tried them while they still made them. Good old man ski. The new ones are lighter, softer, more dedicated touring ski.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Touring them with alpine bindings would have been even odder.
    You should have tried them while they still made them. Good old man ski. The new ones are lighter, softer, more dedicated touring ski.
    I was pissed off at my skiing, and in a bad mood.

I like stiffer skis though, which is why i ski the katanas, metal in the resort and carbon in the backcounty.