Page 411 of 472 FirstFirst ... 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,275 of 11780
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Ever notice when it's fucking cold there's always that one gaper or gaper/kid who's got sunglasses or his goggles off, and his coat is at least partially open, and his pant legs aren't pulled down over his boots?
    How the hell aren't they cold?
    I'm talking cold days like teens and no sun, lots of snow that can get into anything open. Always amazes me. Like they have some kind of internal gaper heating source. And I run warm!
    They started the day with two beers in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    Many elementary age boys wear shorts to school in snow days around here. My question is how/why do their parent let them?
    Because the parents are too weak minded and give in to their kids' bullshit. Mine try to pull this crap every now and then, I tell them it's my job to send them to school with the right clothes for success, and if I don't then I go to jail. So far they don't want me to go to jail. The older one is getting wise to my clever ruse, however.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    No quote, but saw this wild specimen the other day - dude was booting straight up the center of the trail (blind roll overs be damned) with one, count ‘em, one snowshoe on and tunes pumping from a speaker. Ski carry system was similarly dialed. To his credit, however, dude was having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It blows my mind when I see someone like this, who has figured out how to attach their skis to their pack/ski strap/carrier (lots of that here for Highland bowl hikers), but they NEVER have the heel piece as the lowest against the bottom strap. Skis are fucking hitting their boots as they walk, the whole way...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1613153947.248187.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	362535

These were parked at a bike rack in Aspen this morning, on an empty stretch of sidewalk. No one around, not in front of a business or residence where someone would’ve just stepped inside.

Typical Aspen scenario - “I’ll fetch my $1500 setup at a later date.”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

aliens ? ^
    I always chuckle when I see someone exhibiting so much spaz...

Once I saw a lady attacking the WROD, I slowed down and followed just to watch b/c it was hilarious. She was making these super exaggerated up and down movements through her turns, arms flailing, kitted out in slalom gear. It made her look like a chimpanzee jumping up and down.

Later that night she got on my shuttle. I immediately could tell it was her from the gaper air surrounding her. She bragged to everyone how she wears out her skis in 50 days, requiring new skis, bragged about her husbands bognar ski helmet (with integrated googles) they picked up on sale, and made fun of another person in their ski club for their vegetarian diet, THEN she told everyone her and her husband eat a dozen eggs each day.

Of course everyone in the party tipped besides her and her husband.

The townie bike locked up next to the skis is a nice contrast.

Dumb question (am I the gaper??). I saw a dude wearing a climbing harness with some carabiners and a PAS in the lift line at Alpine the other day. Is there any legit reason for this? I was thinking maybe something to do with lift ops or patrol work but was not wearing a uniform. Something adaptive related to prevent falling out of the chair? It was so out of left field I felt like there had to have been some slightly reasonable explanation but maybe not.

Did you lift an upturned toe to his holiness?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Dumb question (am I the gaper??). I saw a dude wearing a climbing harness with some carabiners and a PAS in the lift line at Alpine the other day. Is there any legit reason for this? I was thinking maybe something to do with lift ops or patrol work but was not wearing a uniform. Something adaptive related to prevent falling out of the chair? It was so out of left field I felt like there had to have been some slightly reasonable explanation but maybe not.
    How many go pros did he have on?

Zero go-pros. That would have solidified it

Maybe some sort of child-skier control apparatus?

My friend taught a kid with epilepsy that needed to clip into the chair each ride in case he had a grand mal seizure in the air.

Best Gaper qoute of the weekend?

Alpine does have open gates so he could have theoretically been up to something. The other answer is he’s preparing for a trip where that will be what he’s skiing with so he wants to get used to it so it feels normal. This is the most likely answer.

Friend and I were both riding Scott chair last year with our packs, avy gear, etc. and the guy riding with us made some comments lightly inferring we didn’t need them. Then at the top when we started hiking straight up the hill to go to Munchkins he probably (hopefully) realized he was the gaper.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The other answer is he’s preparing for a trip where that will be what he’s skiing with so he wants to get used to it so it feels normal. This is the most likely answer.
    Training for Alaska. Obviously.

Alpine does have open gates so he could have theoretically been up to something. The other answer is he’s preparing for a trip where that will be what he’s skiing with so he wants to get used to it so it feels normal. This is the most likely answer.

Friend and I were both riding Scott chair last year with our packs, avy gear, etc. and the guy riding with us made some comments lightly inferring we didn’t need them. Then at the top when we started hiking straight up the hill to go to Munchkins he probably (hopefully) realized he was the gaper.
    Prep makes the most sense. Didn't stop me from making fun of my friend skiing around inbounds there with her new airbag last weekend to get used to it though.

I don't know why people are surprised at others having bags and avy gear at Squalpine. I ski with mine most 12"+ powder days and still get comments sometimes.

I'm at the far end of a large parking lot at Alpine Meadows covered with solid ice this morning. Couple pulls in next to me and the guy asks me--"Excuse me sir, Can I ask you a question." "Sure" "Will it be just as slippery with our ski boots on." "Yes". To be fair, I believe the individual comes from a place without snow and ice.

By far my worst ski crash so far this season was in the parking lot at Squaw. Full yard sale. Always embarrassing even though we've all done it.

By far my worst ski crash so far this season was in the parking lot at Squaw. Full yard sale. Always embarrassing even though we've all done it.
    I wrecked my back falling in the AM lot years ago. Cost me a month of the season. Nowadays I'd just take a lot of pills and ski. Not that many seasons left.

I've ridden a chair with a guy with a harness at Alpine. Epileptic. He clips in to the chair.
    Not sure why anyone would wear a harness for Tahoe BC. Are there chutes people rappel into? Not a lot of glaciers.

the guy who installed our elevator is epileptic--which is a bad problem for an elevator installer. He says he was cured by THC. No seizures in years since he started using it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    .... Not that many seasons left....
    get a hold on yourself Man!
    thats loser talk!

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Prep makes the most sense. Didn't stop me from making fun of my friend skiing around inbounds there with her new airbag last weekend to get used to it though.

I don't know why people are surprised at others having bags and avy gear at Squalpine. I ski with mine most 12"+ powder days and still get comments sometimes.
    Not a bad idea, any over 12" day I'm beeping inbounds (picked the habit up from a long time Tahoe patroller bud). Been caught in an avy traversing at Alpine, got carried about 50ft downslope.

Maybe the dude was looking for the GNAR gnome?

Couple weekends ago I finally got to see in person someone putting their skins on backwards.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Couple weekends ago I finally got to see in person someone putting their skins on backwards.
    Maybe they were skinning down? Ultimate cardio.
    . . .

Not a bad idea, any over 12" day I'm beeping inbounds (picked the habit up from a long time Tahoe patroller bud). Been caught in an avy traversing at Alpine, got carried about 50ft downslope.
    I always beep on deeper days. I've been caught twice inbounds. First was on Headwall Face at Squaw on April 1, 2014 after 2+ feet of snow overnight. Slow, heavier, spring snow so it wasn't a big deal and I was right on top and kind of laughing while waving to people riding the chair above me, and just skied away. Then last year on the looker's left chute of the Face at Alpine Meadows. Small pocket release, I guess, but it sent me right into some trees so it was a little scary. 2 days later someone died inbounds over by Promised Land, ripping on the same layer with another several inches on top of it. :-(

I skied a day at Alpine when one of the gullies on South Face ripped, no one caught but there was a probe line checking.
    On my way back I went down Our Father. Some other people were in Counterweight when a guy jumped the cliff between my gully and there's and set of counterweight. All four people were knocked down, one had a sledable knee injury. The jerk who set it off didn't even slow down. After that they shut all the upper lifts. It was a day of wet heavy snow.

so did I

it was the start of what I’m calling “the disastrous first backcountry ski date”

also the last with that one
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    .... the last with that one ....
    whats her number?

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson