Page 422 of 471 FirstFirst ... 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 ... LastLast
Results 10,526 to 10,550 of 11762
    I'm failing to see anything even remotely gaper-ish in that photo. It wouldn't surprise me if that shirt is from a workwear store, is made out of the same "tech" fabric as lots of baselayers from outdoor brands, but cost 1/6 of what they do.

I mean, I'll make fun of a Jeep owner every day of the week and twice on Sunday, but that's NSR.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    On powder days I am in an orange jacket with orange skis, bindings and boots. Not a deliberate choice--just worked out that way. I do like high viz jackets. I don't particularly like orange and it's kind of embarrassing really.
    Orange must go on sale often as I have an orange shell and an orange puffy.

GSA prefers orange as well, from what I recall. You guys are just paying homage, which is admirable.

I thought the gaper pic was the sun brim on the helmet.

But actually, as dorky as it looks, it’s not a bad idea for spring.
    . . .

That thing would be awesome for spring touring, if you have a helmet that is vented enough to wear on the way up. Anything that reduces the amount of sunscreen I have to apply is advantageous for spring/summer skiing. Ski touring, particularly in the spring, is an inherently dorky activity. Embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    GSA prefers orange as well, from what I recall. You guys are just paying homage, which is admirable.
    NO! GSA is paying homage to me!

oh I look gapetastic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1618245663.800040.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	371308

and I liked that helmet brim thing

but I don’t colour match my Jeep, cooler, skis and shirt
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Salamander and da brim have add-on helmet brims -

there are also some mtn. bike helmet brims that can probably be retro-fit to a ski helmet -

loved my mx10
    ( should have stockpiled a couple before they discontinued it ) --

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Sometimes actions are better than quotes
    Today at Hoodoo Ski Resort, Central Oregon's alternative to Mt Bachelor

I'm checking phone messages before leaving today, and hear this grinding sound
    Look up to see this guy skiing into the chip seal and rock parking lot
    Attachment 371227

Couldn't get the camera out and photo snapped before he got out of the skis.
    I don't think those are rental skis

Note - Camo is the traditional colorway for outerwear at Hoodoo
    Texas speed check.

In HS friend of mine went through the hay bales and into the Boyne parking lot out of control. He was reminded of that frequently. Almost as often as Benny gets reminded about falling off a lift. (Did Benny actually fall off a chair?)

I admit to falling off a chair, once. Hooked the tip of a 223cm dh ski out of the terminal. But tbs has definitely got most maggots beat hands down.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    I admit to falling off a chair, once. Hooked the tip of a 223cm dh ski out of the terminal. But tbs has definitely got most maggots beat hands down.
    I can beat that--the guy next to me hooked the tip of a SG ski. Whole chair rocks back, he had a slight advantage in feeling the ski catch and hangs on.

I end up on the ground.

Best part? It was an early load and we were headed up to set. I very much appreciated that he apologized over the radio right away, because it would have been really easy just to point and laugh and let everyone else think I just misloaded.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    The only times I have come out of the chair at the incorrect time was when sitski loads went sideways. Which I believe happened to you as well

I will admit to a trip around MHX bull wheel at Mt Hood Meadows when my suspenders got caught in the chair. I received an Atomic Wedgie and severe hematoma to the ego.

Our group gets up to the loading bar of a detachable 6. I look back to sit down and someone is already in my seat. I and the woman next to me got knock off the end of the loading ramp down about 3 feet into the pit. The gapers behind us in line weren't paying attention and came out too soon. And the lift op was asleep at the switch. I guess that doesn't count as falling off a chair since I was never on it. Then there was the time--nondetachable--when the snowboarder behind us pulled himself up to the loading bar by grabbing the safety bar of our chair which pulled the safety bar down which hit me in the back. Another lift op not paying attention.

^ Haha! My friend and I were loading a double at, I think, Alta once. I was on the outside right, looking over my right shoulder as the chair approached. As the chair got close I heard a huge commotion, yelling, and clash of skis on my left but I managed to get in the chair. The chair kept moving for a couple moments then stopped. I was a little freaked by the ruckus, but when I looked to my left my friend’s drunken younger brother was in the seat next to me, with my friend hanging between his brother’s legs, armpits on thighs. The drunken brother had come up behind and gotten on the chair behind my friend and scooped him up as the chair moved forward.

The lifty came out and helped the brother drop my friend a couple feet and put him on the next chair.

I laughed so fkn hard all the way up. The brother kept looking back at my friend in the chair behind and saying “Fuck, he’s so pissed! And he was pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The only times I have come out of the chair at the incorrect time was when sitski loads went sideways. Which I believe happened to you as well

I will admit to a trip around MHX bull wheel at Mt Hood Meadows when my suspenders got caught in the chair. I received an Atomic Wedgie and severe hematoma to the ego.
    Damn it. I forgot about that one. Nothing like a loaded sit ski coming down on you. So yes twice.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

The Heather chair at MHM.
    It's a fixed-grip double.

Rather than dig the bottom ramp out - it goes pretty steeply uphill just after load - they dig it out *just enough* to clear the bottom of the chair plus a bit for your legs. It ends up looking like a kicker in the terrain park. Seriously.
    I've never figured out why, other than sheer laziness they don't just clear it good so just the actual load zone has a ramp - but as long as I can remember, that's the way it's always been. (But they can sure call out "Keep your tips up", and get angry at anyone who loses a ski etc. - all day long. I guess that's less work than just digging it out, eh?)

The liftie can bump the chair for you - which is nice, you don't get slammed in the legs as hard, if you don't catch the chair yourself.
    But some lifties bump it way harder than others - which produces a BIG swing, and that ramp is pretty close to the bottom of the chair.

It's the second swing that gets you, not the initial load swing.

I had this happen, one day - and my right ski gets a little sideways and suddenly the shovel is simply getting drug really hard, me along with it. It becomes really clear, really fast, that I'm super unlikely to maintain my seat on the chair and I decide I'm bailing while I can. I simply roll out of the chair and hit the deck. The chair just clears me and I know there's another not too far back. I pop up and get out of the way of the chair behind. My partner was rather startled - but "whatevs!"

The liftie, who was likely craving cheetos and not paying the slightest attention to much of anything doesn't even notice that anything has happened - nada. I ski back around the liftie shack and get ready to cut in line.
    Liftie starts to say I need to go through the gates - and I say - "Dude I just fell out of the chair and you didn't notice jack." Everyone else, I think, saw the whole thing happen and no one says a thing. I catch a chair a few back from my original and go on with life.

To this day, I'm not sure if I'm the "gaper" here or not.
    I wasn't impressed with my getting drug and pulled out of the chair. But I thought the roll-out, duck, and recovery were pretty sweet ... and I didn't cause any delay in the chair for my mishap - no stop or slow-down for me!
    Now if they'd just dig that damn ramp out a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post

Rather than dig the bottom ramp out - it goes pretty steeply uphill just after load - they dig it out *just enough* to clear the bottom of the chair plus a bit for your legs. It ends up looking like a kicker in the terrain park. Seriously.
    I've never figured out why, other than sheer laziness they don't just clear it good so just the actual load zone has a ramp - but as long as I can remember, that's the way it's always been. (But they can sure call out "Keep your tips up", and get angry at anyone who loses a ski etc. - all day long. I guess that's less work than just digging it out, eh?)

The liftie can bump the chair for you - which is nice, you don't get slammed in the legs as hard, if you don't catch the chair yourself.
    But some lifties bump it way harder than others - which produces a BIG swing, and that ramp is pretty close to the bottom of the chair.

I had this happen, one day - and my right ski gets a little sideways and suddenly the shovel is simply getting drug really hard, me along with it. It becomes really clear, really fast, that I'm super unlikely to maintain my seat on the chair and I decide I'm bailing while I can. I simply roll out of the chair and hit the deck. The chair just clears me and I know there's another not too far back. I pop up and get out of the way of the chair behind. My partner was rather startled - but "whatevs!"

The liftie, who was likely craving cheetos and not paying the slightest attention to much of anything doesn't even notice that anything has happened - nada. I ski back around the liftie shack and get ready to cut in line.
    Liftie starts to say I need to go through the gates - and I say - "Dude I just fell out of the chair and you didn't notice jack." Everyone else, I think, saw the whole thing happen and no one says a thing. I catch a chair a few back from my original and go on with life.

I wasn't impressed with my getting drug and pulled out of the chair. But I thought the roll-out, duck, and recovery were pretty sweet ... and I didn't cause any delay in the chair for my mishap - no stop or slow-down for me!
    i've let someone get dragged once. it ain't good practice.
    swing your fucking sword.

On the Zephyr lift at Northstar a couple years ago early morning and the chair in front was full of racer kids, probably 9 or 10 year olds. It’s race day because they have their number bibs on.

At the top, one of the kids doesn’t lift his tips and they hit the backside of the ramp - which is almost like a plywood box on that lift. Tails of the skis come up and catch the underside of the chair and he’s throw forward and the chair proceeds overtop of him.

After a few minutes to clear the wreckage, he’s up and skiing away, with the front half of both skis sticking straight up in the air, both snapped a little forward of the bindings.

So much for race day.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post

You are NOT padded seat material.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I don't get this thing of pulling out a chair and putting it on a little rug behind your car in mud, engine or no engine running. I just try to get out of the boots and into the car as cleanly as I can, which still gets the back dirty as crap. So you sit in the mud to change footware, and then put all of that muddy crap into the car?
    Kind of a pro move, honestly.

I like my little rug.

and my chair
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

forget it... if he can't understand the basics of cooler management, the art avoiding mud in a parking lot will likely elude him as well.

You just like to sit in the mud and drink beer, though, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I like my little rug.

and my chair
    I have friends who use a little rug or floor mat and every time I keep telling myself I need to get one for those icy parking lot mornings. Was at the hardware store the other day and some old guy stops me and asks if I want this used grippy floor mat of his. Kind of random but then it occurred to me, yes, I'll take it!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I like fluoro green/yellow