Page 417 of 471 FirstFirst ... 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 ... LastLast
Results 10,401 to 10,425 of 11762
    1000 foot fall on a 40 degree slope could certainly kill you or leave you paralyzed. Glad you didn't test your theory that you wouldn't have been hurt.
    As far as the video saving your marriage--I'm guessing the cost was more than just helping her get her skis off and on.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I was in Courmayeur with my GF (now wife) and i ended up getting us into a bit of tricky spot where the traverse we were on ended and we needed to boot up about 200' to the knife-edge ridgline to drop in to the other side. We were on a 40+degree slope that was pretty firm but edgeable. A fall would have you sliding about 1000' down into the drainage below- no rocks, trees or anything, so nothing that would kill you or hurt you other than your pride and schedule. Anyways, I am one of those people for whom time slows down, and my heartrate drops in pressure situations, but my wife is super high strung and is the opposite. I remembered this video, somehow, from a youtube rabbithole years ago, and succesfully managed to walk her through the process step by step. She also did not enjoy putting skis on, on a knife edge ridge... but no one died, and we had a nice picnic lunch+wine in an abandoned refugio in the courmayeur backcountry an hour later. So, basically, this video saved(allowed?) my marriage.
    Good she was your girlfriend then and not your wife.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

X

Preface: A friend told me about their slide for life. I decided it's time for me to get a axe for steep spring skiing. I get some pro deals, however preferred models/ sizes are out of stock of course.

Chapter 1: I had a hilarious tour today.
    Had some time in-between jobs so I stopped off for a quick ski at Walton peak (mellow meadow skip about 1 mile from the highway) which I was passing by. Probably one of the most popular tours in the Steamboat area, I usually avoid. But today I was passing by and I had brought a new setup to test out.

As I'm gearing up there's a guy on his phone (sounded like a work call) at the trail sign asking other skiers how far the peak is. He's got a nice new ice axe on his pack. In fact all his gear looks nice and new. No harness though. Pussy. The rest of his party are snowshoers. He tells the snowshoers to just follow the last group of skiers who went by. Sun is out and temps are creeping above freezing, I'm pushing it trying to ski a southeast face on the first big thaw. I think it'll be ok but there isn't much time to waste.

I pass a few parties on the trail, work my way up the post-holed drainage to the shot and run into a skier I recognized along the way...We share passing comments about the popular state of the trail these days.

I pop out on the road at the base of the main shot. There is a couple there on snowshoes, the husband is examining a map. The wife looks like a mix of Peggy Bundy and Nancy Regan. Peggy's conservative sister? I want to sarcastically complement her tights as I ski past but her husband interjects, asking me where I think they are on the map. I show them where we are on the map. He disagrees. His wife lets me know they will be right behind me anyways.

I set a proper scale track on the south face. Steeper than usual, aided by the warm snow. Did I mention there can't be more than 200' vertical? Hence the scales. After 2 laps I decide I can live with the forward (to me) mount on my V6's. I hear a snowmobile.

Turns out to be a drone. The ice axe/snow shoe party has summited. I'm stalked by the drone as I head up once more for my final lap. On the up I run into the disoriented snowshoe couple from earlier. The ice axe party is hanging out at the top, talking to a group I passed on the way in.

I'm happy to see some in the group kicking back and enjoying the killer views of North Park, the Never Summers, Eagles Nest et al. But the iceman himself seems to be on another business call. He has his beacon on now, over his t-shirt. The drone pilot and a few others are pre occupied with the drone. What can you do?

I take my last run down the face (skiers right had untracked lines), keep my speed up and buzz past the non-believer (my map reading) snowshoers now on the road where we first met. Traverse left for 10 more turns, down into the access drainage, cross the drainage and head up the other side to catch more turns on the way back to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    By far my worst ski crash so far this season was in the parking lot at Squaw. Full yard sale. Always embarrassing even though we've all done it.
    This is pretty late in reply but here goes. While I've done a lot of stupid stuff - this seemed the most ridiculous.

Had just hopped off the lift (MHX at MHM) and patrol stashes a couple of rescue sleds on a little flattened area, just near the top.

I wasn't paying attention, fiddling with my pole straps as I approached the sled. They were, unusually, lying flat with the handles out and *down.* There was 15-20" to get past the handles. (I usually drop off the flat onto a steep section and catch some air.)
    "No problem" I thinks...as I manage to hook one of the handles with my ski and get abruptly swung around, bashed on my nose, before the handles release my ski and I complete my forward flip/slam/roll.
    Damn that hurt. My pride and my body, both.

I might do other impressive things, but I'm also the guy who manages to hook the handles on the rescue sleds, right under the lift.
    Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    This is pretty late in reply but here goes. While I've done a lot of stupid stuff - this seemed the most ridiculous.

Had just hopped off the lift (MHX at MHM) and patrol stashes a couple of rescue sleds on a little flattened area, just near the top.

I wasn't paying attention, fiddling with my pole straps as I approached the sled. They were, unusually, lying flat with the handles out and *down.* There was 15-20" to get past the handles. (I usually drop off the flat onto a steep section and catch some air.)
    "No problem" I thinks...as I manage to hook one of the handles with my ski and get abruptly swung around, bashed on my nose, before the handles release my ski and I complete my forward flip/slam/roll.
    Damn that hurt. My pride and my body, both.

I might do other impressive things, but I'm also the guy who manages to hook the handles on the rescue sleds, right under the lift.
    Sheesh!
    Was your lawsuit against the ski area successful?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Was your lawsuit against the ski area successful?
    And how did the abrasions heal up?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I was in Courmayeur with my GF (now wife) and i ended up getting us into a bit of tricky spot where the traverse we were on ended and we needed to boot up about 200' to the knife-edge ridgline to drop in to the other side. We were on a 40+degree slope that was pretty firm but edgeable. A fall would have you sliding about 1000' down into the drainage below- no rocks, trees or anything, so nothing that would kill you or hurt you other than your pride and schedule. Anyways, I am one of those people for whom time slows down, and my heartrate drops in pressure situations, but my wife is super high strung and is the opposite. I remembered this video, somehow, from a youtube rabbithole years ago, and succesfully managed to walk her through the process step by step. She also did not enjoy putting skis on, on a knife edge ridge... but no one died, and we had a nice picnic lunch+wine in an abandoned refugio in the courmayeur backcountry an hour later. So, basically, this video saved(allowed?) my marriage.
    That's awesome.
    And he definitely put his downhill ski on first. Chica I was talking about wasn't an irredeemable gaper as much as she probably just had a buzz on lol.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I hiked up to Mary's Nipple at Targhee once, and it was one of the few times I had to put skis on a steep slope that was hard, and a patrolman came along and showed me a cool technique. You place a ski uphill to your body, and pull your downhill foot up and click in with that boot. It works.
    Last edited by Benny Profane; 03-04-2021 at 03:28 PM.

That's awesome.
    And he definitely put his downhill ski on first. Chica I was talking about wasn't an irredeemable gaper as much as she probably just had a buzz on lol.
    He put his downhill ski on first but it was uphill of his uphill foot when he did it. Like I said--everyone is right. (If the slope isn't steep enough that you are worried about losing a ski down the hill it doesn't matter. And if you're high you probably don't know which ski is downhill anyway.)

Whatdoyamean "if" you're high?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I hiked up to Mary's Nipple at Targhee once, and it was one of the few times I had to put skis on a steep slope that was hard, and a patrolman came along and showed me a cool technique. You place a ski uphill to your body, and pull your downhill foot up and click in with that boot. It works.
    I'm going to need a diagram.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post

Seriously, wtf
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Maybe time for Benny YouTube channel.

I don't remember anything steep up on Mary's Nip...

You were probably high.

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post

Or you can watch the Hattrup video.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Whatdoyamean "if" you're high?
    Safety meeting before you do something dangerous.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Facing to the left, take your LH ski and place it above your right leg. Stand up on your right leg, cross your lower left leg over it and click in.

Anyway, that's how I read it.

Besides being safer as far as losing a ski, this method puts the boot sole parallel to the top of the ski if the ski is resting flat and puts the binding within easy reach of your hand so you can close the binding by hand if you have to. Trying to step in the way you would on the flat the only thing within easy reach of your hand is . . . well you know.

Heard on the lift. "What is your favorite black run?" "Catwalk" was the answer.

A teenager at the Alpental ticket window on Tuesday afternoon:

"Hi, here's my pass."

"Sir, you're not allowed to ride with someone else's pass."

"Uh, this is my pass."

"What's your date of birth?"

"September 11, uh...1967."

"Sir, I don't believe you are a 53-year-old man. Can I see your ID?"

"I don't have my ID, but I have a photo of my ID...."
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Daddy: "Hey, I can't find my pass."

Dude was prepared. If he actually produced a photo of the ID I Probably would’ve been laughing too hard to not let him go.

Earlier this week we set up some brushies for corridor training, but we couldn't close off the run. The attention and reactions it got from gapers was "fun."

Besides the hilarity of watching people ride around and interact with them, there were some choice quotes. " What's with those things?" "Look, a race course!" "Is this where the jumps and stuff are?"