Page 307 of 472 FirstFirst ... 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,675 of 11780
    This guy... today from Mt Bachelor’s IG feed.

^^ in five years he’ll be on here complaining Burton wouldn’t warranty his board.

I bet he takes his board to REI for the base grind.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

I'm all for skiing sketchy shit, but ski areas have some sort of reasonable responsibility to not open something that's a minefield or outright dangerous. Isn't Bachelor owned by POWDR, the morons who lost Park City to Vail a couple years back? Evidently more good judgement at work.

Some ski area customers are ok with skiing that kind of terrain
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Hmn...one guy whining about conditions.
    All other peeps seem to be stoked on the day tho.
    Hmn.
    If'n you're gonna ride a new board(s) on first day out, stick to the groomers.
    Benefit vs Risk. Analyze.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    I'm all for skiing sketchy shit, but ski areas have some sort of reasonable responsibility to not open something that's a minefield or outright dangerous. Isn't Bachelor owned by POWDR, the morons who lost Park City to Vail a couple years back? Evidently more good judgement at work.
    I was at Bachelor today. There was nothing open that was a “minefield” or “outright dangerous”. Thin in spots? Yes. People hit rocks, no question, and some ptex was sacrificed. But Jebus, if someone is scared of hitting things covered in snow, they should stick to the groomers, or just stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    I bet he takes his board to REI for the base grind.
    lolololol

Shit even on groomers in low/ early season conditions I expect scratches.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

So... I'm riding a chairlift with 2 adult strangers at Blackcomb. We're facing uphill on the chair (duh), and we see a posse of 3 fast snowboarders riding down from above, and they stand out because they're ripping it up noticeably more aggressively than all the other skiers/riders that they are passing on the groomer.

GAPER 1: "Look at those guys ripping!"

GAPER 2: "Nice! ...Oh SICK! Look at their drone following them down!!!"

GAPER 1: "Yeah, they're getting some sick aerial footage!"

I look for a drone. There is no drone. It is an obvious full-sized passenger plane. It is flying at a high altitude, far away, but just happens to be lined up in our line of sight above the snowboarder posse. I sit there flabbergasted that ANY human could misidentify such an obvious airplane. Even a 5-year-old child would have immediately called out these gapers for their inability to tell the difference between a 2ft drone and an obvious huge airplane, but instead I just sit there shocked and speechless while I search for my first sentence to start teaching these adult gapers the simple concept that big things can appear to be smaller when they are far away.

GAPER 2 (still looking directly at the plane, which is now even more obviously NOT following the snowboarder posse):
    "Man, we gotta buy a drone tonight and bring it up the hill tomorrow!"

After that, I just give up without uttering a word, while the obvious passenger plane flies onward, clearly visible for another 20 seconds or so. Whatever...at least these gapers were pretty stoked...

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

GAPER 2 (still looking directly at the plane, which is now even more obviously NOT following the snowboarder posse):
    "Man, we gotta buy a drone tonight and bring it up the hill tomorrow!"
    Hey, maybe they're rich and they're actually plane shopping right now.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe it was a drone and you're the gaper for thinking it was a plane?

Or they were just messn with him.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Did it ever occur to you that maybe it was a drone and you're the gaper for thinking it was a plane?
    You sure you weren't on that chair? :P
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yes, that possibility did occur to me, live and in real time. And after I double-, triple-, and quadruple-checked---it was obviously a full-sized airplane every time I checked. I even briefly considered the possibility that these gapers might get partial credit if somehow Canada had started a new program to develop unmanned, full-sized passenger plane drones or "driverless passenger planes" and test them over Blackcomb...but even if that were true, this plane was not even following the snowboarders to capture any video footage of their riding (as the gapers believed).

Maybe shrooms explains it. More likely these gapers have occasional lapses when they dismiss physical reality and just see what they want to believe.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

these gapers have occasional lapses when they dismiss physical reality and just see what they want to believe.
    Belief is the core tenet of the GSA, and I respect it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

As a parent and a friend of many children, I use the term “magical thinking”.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yes, that possibility did occur to me, live and in real time. And after I double-, triple-, and quadruple-checked---it was obviously a full-sized airplane every time I checked. I even briefly considered the possibility that these gapers might get partial credit if somehow Canada had started a new program to develop unmanned, full-sized passenger plane drones or "driverless passenger planes" and test them over Blackcomb...but even if that were true, this plane was not even following the snowboarders to capture any video footage of their riding (as the gapers believed).

Maybe shrooms explains it. More likely these gapers have occasional lapses when they dismiss physical reality and just see what they want to believe.

people see what they want to see. If less than half of American voters can look at an elderly, bloated, orange haired demagogue and see their savior, a couple of stoners can look at a plane and see a drone. I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Besides, soon enough there won't be pilots on most commercial flights--in other words airliners will be drones. Maybe you and the gapers saw a test model. You're both right.

Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird! It's a plane! No--it's . . . . . .. a drone!

.[/QUOTE]

This could be said of much of the chatter on TGR

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Or they were just messn with him.
    This does sound like an exchange I would have with several of my friends....

I've been know to pull a few shenanigans with ski pals. Pushing them over on the unload ramp....
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I’m not sure what this guy was doing...

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Snow View Post
    If I had to stop skiing over rocks and sketchy snow, I wouldn't be able to ski at my home hill. I fine with the "thin cover, early seasons conditions, marked and unmarked obstacles exist, stay on trails for your safety" and then leaving the off piste terrain open.

Name:  26001361_1980782855528678_7518610672420975159_n.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  131.9 KB
    Keep Portland weird

Gonna have a discussion on the best tires for winter use of a unicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by irratator View Post
    Gonna have a discussion on the best tires for winter use of a unicycle?
    How about his choice of shovels, what a gaper.