Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    This pretty much says it all. I have a friend who can tell you when one corner of a car is just a pound or two off. You can't tell the difference between snow tires and all season tires. Most of us are somewhere in between those experiences in a giant land called Common Sensia. You've demonstrated in writing that you don't understand vehicle dynamics with your asinine (note spelling) explanation of How Trucks Work, and you've admitted now you can't tell vastly different tires apart on the road. Nicely done.
    Jesus.... I'm done. You people don't know how to fucking read through a few sentences before getting ALL fucking giddy with your insults and "I know fucking EVERYTHING" bullshit.

"OH LOOK! YOU MADE ONE SPELLING MISTAKE! YOU MUST BE A FUCKING MORON!" Go fuck yourself.

And I'm sorry I don't drive like such a fucking douche to where I HAVE to have snow tires on the back.
    Last edited by Storm11; 01-19-2008 at 08:21 PM.

It is a law that autos must have 4 snow tires on all corners. Why because most ppl don't know how to drive in hazardous conditions. Less traction in the rear axle when braking will cause vehicle to swap ends. A good driver knows how to operate a rig without overdriving the conditions. Technology/Technique.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by hubie View Post

i decided to drive a drunk friend home in his car (actually a mid 90s honda accord) one night. he was extremely lit and didn't bother to tell me that his car only had snow tires on the front. it was an extremely slick evening outside. we were coming into a curve and i didn't even touch the brakes. all it took to make the rear break free was letting off the accelerator. the rear end came around so quick that i didn't even know what happened. i hit the gas when the slide started, but i could not get the front end to catch the rear end.
    Ditto that. I know exactly what you mean.

I had my Taurus SHO mounted up with sticky tires in the front and shitty ass Bridgestone Potenza's on the rear and that thing would do everything possible to go down the road backwards. You could get it to swap ends in a parking lot at five mph. It was death waiting to happen and unrecoverable.

The tires with the least traction will always lead in a slide.

To each their own. Some mix and match setups might work and are manageable, others can lead to death.

Finer points of driving and auto engineering aside ...

Get a two steel rims at the junkyard. Take your snows to a local service station and get them to mount them. Deflate one tire call AAA and get the guy driving the wrecker to take off the deflated tire and put on a mounted snow. Wait 24 hours and repeat. (or break out the jack and have at it your self)

I've never had a problem getting a tire mounted at an independent operator when I've brought it in off of the car. (You may get reamed on the price though)
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by hubie View Post
    i don't know if it is law or not, but i do know that most tire shops will not put snow tires on the front of a car and not the back. so good luck finding someone who will do it. just search google for anything on this topic, and you won't find a single bit of information that says it is a good idea.

i decided to drive a drunk friend home in his car (actually a mid 90s honda accord) one night. he was extremely lit and didn't bother to tell me that his car only had snow tires on the front. it was an extremely slick evening outside. we were coming into a curve and i didn't even touch the brakes. all it took to make the rear break free was letting off the accelerator. the rear end came around so quick that i didn't even know what happened. i hit the gas when the slide started, but i could not get the front end to catch the rear end. the steering wheel hit its limit, and we went on around. the rear end of the car was now going first, and we ended up in the snow bank pointed back the way we were coming from. i was trying to get unstuck when the police just happened by a few minutes later, he fortunately didn't give me a ticket, but he did strongly advise my drunk friend to get two more snow tires on the car.

before you call me a dumbass for not knowing how to drive let me say that i have had a commercial drivers license for nine years, and drive front wheel drive, rear wheel drive and all wheel drive cars, vans and busses 40-50 hours a week on icy roads in steamboat. in all those hours of driving i have never wrecked a vehicle, or even slid into the ditch. the place i work for sends all drivers to the bridgestone ice driving school here in steamboat for a full day class. which is a blast i have to say.

i'll admit that i wasn't familiar with the car, and have never driven a vehicle with different tires on the front and rear, but i have also never driven a vehicle that got out of control so easily. in my opinion, it is dangerous to run different tires on the front and rear of a car.

i mean what happens on some icy morning when someone else slides through a red light into an intersection right in front of you. your survival reaction is to hit the brakes and steer away from the other car. this is the exact situation that will throw your car with no snow tires on the rear into a doughnut. it is in those moments of panicked braking and steering that you will most likely loose control of your car and be in an accident. snow tires may or may not help you avoid an accident in a situation like this, but i would have to say that you have a much better chance of avoiding the accident if you did have snow tires on the rear as well. it is always better to have more control than less.

the reason that the majority of tire shops (not just big o) will not mount two snow tires on a car probably isn't the obvious fact that it is just plain dangerous to do. the real reason that most businesses implement rules like this are because of the litigious society that we live in. i wouldn't doubt that someone somewhere won a lawsuit against a tire shop for causing an accident by mounting only two snow tires on the front of a car.

just shell out the cash for a couple more tires and use the all season ones in the summer.
    Well driver, even professionals can drive right into it. Unfamiliar vehicles,not knowing the road or the shit happens situation. You never know what's around the next corner,over.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Many tire companies have this policy. I don't know if it is law or not, since legally all seasons are snow tires. The reason for the policy is, as always in this country, liability. Since having better traction in the front will allow you to brake harder, turn sharper, et cetera, there is an increased likelihood of oversteer, and spinning the car. Not a problem for a good driver, but there are a lot of bad drivers out there. There have even been lawsuits about mounting chains only on the front of front wheel drive cars. They are more prone to spinning, and as soon as a gaper ends up in a ditch it is suddenly some one else's fault for not telling them to chain up all four wheels. Stupid, I agree, but that is the shit show of a litigious society we live in.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Stopped reading after the fuck you, your a jackass marathon, but go see Sammy at Peerless Tire across from the Conoco on main st. He's a great guy and always treated me well in Durango. That guy that runs Big-o is a bit of an ass, and they are usually overpriced and try to hit you up for every add-on BS charge known to man.

GL.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

I always put the good tires on the left side of the car, and the crappy pair go to the right.

There's a lot of ignorance and stupid name calling in this thread. It sucks that I have to share the road with some of these people.

Here's an informative video from a reliable source that spells it all out.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/promo...popPlayer.html

I find that the mud tires on my 4x4 have the best traction on ice, the big blocks of tread really dig into the snow. But the again I have 4 of them, so that probably helps.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    MUD tires??? the BEST on ice???? Which ones are you running?
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

I don't know the state law where you are, but in Maine, it is REQUIRED to mount 4 snows if the tires are studded; if not studded, it is a general safety recommendation to mount 4 snows.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

it's the LAWYERS not the laws.

Some maroon like you had 2 snows, got in a crash, and sued Big O.

the end
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post
    But if you LEARN HOW TO TRULY FUCKING DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE and FUCKING PAY ATTENTION you shouldn't really have to use your brakes much at all.
    What happens when the guy in the lane over cuts you off?? Situations come up all the time where brakes are required, and you shouldn't rely on not having to use them very much. Even the perfect driver is going to face unexpected obstacles.

Think about it. When you have two tires with more friction in the front and two tires with less friction in the back, you are much more likely to spin. It's a common physics concept called TORQUE! Sure you're fine if you keep yourself moving in a straight direction, but what happens when you have the incident that makes you swerve/brake hard?? You're much more likely to spin out than if you had 4 of the same tires. Even if it is 4 all season tires tires.

It is perfectly understandable why many tire shops will only mount all 4 tires. It's a liability to them.

What I learned from this thread: Storm11 needs to get laid.

wait a minute

you went to bigO to put on snowtires you already owned?
    like snowtires mounted on rims?

either way, this discussion is retarded

Quote Originally Posted by Storm11 View Post
    But once again, as long as you (and I'll say it again) PAY ATTENTION and KNOW HOW TO DRIVE (and stop) YOUR VEHICLE then ABS makes absolutely no difference.
    So you never lock 'em up on ice, huh? OK then.

I wish to fuck it would snow around here.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Why did we bump this 2 year old thread?

(and I was pretty pissy 2 years ago - sorry about that Garrett)

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    wait a minute

you went to bigO to put on snowtires you already owned?
    like snowtires mounted on rims?

either way, this discussion is retarded
    I'm gonna guess (hope) not on the rim---

I like my rims too much to get new ones just for the snow tires. So I bite the 55 dollar bullet every winter / summer.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    I'm gonna guess (hope) not on the rim---

I like my rims too much to get new ones just for the snow tires. So I bite the 55 dollar bullet every winter / summer.
    Dunno about that man I like my rims which is why I don't want to take my chances with them on the tire machine twice a year.

You guys are doing it wrong. Negotiate free swaps ins/outs for the life of the tires when you buy them. I do that every time and still get if not the best price in town, very close to it.

Twice a year I go in for a tire swap, never pay a dime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    You guys are doing it wrong. Negotiate free swaps ins/outs for the life of the tires when you buy them. I do that every time and still get if not the best price in town, very close to it.

Twice a year I go in for a tire swap, never pay a dime.
    My wife managed to convince the dealer she got her snows from to store her non-snows all winter and swap for free when she brings it in for an oil change. Granted she bought them from the dealer, which means she overpaid, but that's another point altogether.

^^^
    Like that idea, but I'm more concerned about the monkeys beating the crap out of my rims.

Judging by the quality of driving I see oozing out of coloradans. I'd say your road conditions don't get bad enough to bother with snow tires. I've been delivering pizza's in Anchorage for the last 4 winters 2 of those winters in a 2wd ford ranger with all seasons and got around fine. I'm on my first FWD car now and I wish I had 2 all seasons in the rear. As is with 4 glacier grips I can't hardly get the damn thing to drift around a corner. No ABS either or traction control. Ford Focus LX. Learn to drive assholes, in AK they'll mount your tires wherever you want them.

Why not put snows on all four corners? You're going to go through a bunch of sets of tires in the life of your car so its not like you're wasting money - your summer tires will last longer since you are using them less. Its costing you $60 instead of $30 to change out tires twice a year... but your tires are getting balanced twice a year so they last longer.

Just my $0.02.

I only drive AWD/4x4 so I have no idea how snow tires affect FWD cars, but logic seems to say they should stop faster if nothing else. Sure the front does most of the braking but not all.