Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RIP Alex: A shooting star.

My friend's daughter Alex died in a car crash last night, She was 19 and smart beautiful and the most danger-tolerant person I've ever known.

I already wrote this once but it disappeared somehow, maybe too much time on the hotel wifi. So I'll try to make this short.

Alex was beautiful, strong, athletic and smart. She died in a wreck less than 24 hours ago. I drove down here to North carolina today to be with her parents.

She used to say, "Don't act scared, it just makes the other people scared."

I've known her since she was three, now she's dead at 19.

Her father said to me today, "we always knew she was a shooting star, we just hoped that she'd last longer than she did."

No alcohol in the wreck, they just took an exit too fast and rolled the car, she wasn't seatbelted, she got ejected and the car rolled over her.

Her brother is my son's best friend. Her mother is my wife's best friend. Alex was my daughter's hero. And her father is one of the best guys I've ever known.

She was special. and now she's dead.

RIP Alex, I love you.
    Last edited by iceman; 01-14-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Sorry for you loss man, never easy when people that young are taken so suddenly.

Wow, sorry for your loss. May her inspiration live on in you and her family.
    Summit: The Nancy Grace of TGR

Tragic. My heartfelt condolences to you, her family, and friends.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

I wish I had the right words. I'm mostly thinking about how frequently cool people like that tend to leave us young. I mean, when I get to talking with the people my age that I really get along with, we're all totally lucky to be alive.
    sorry it had to be her.

Wow so sad. Don't really know what to say. Stay strong, or just go ahead and cry. It might help

Sorry for your loss

Nicely written. Vibes & condolences to the family and friends.

She was an amazing skier, she always took the3 most twisted, non-skiable line as her first choice, and somehow made it work. And she was the best horseback rider I've ever seen, she could make the horse do things the horse didn't think it could do.

She really was unbelievable, and as close to being my daughter as could be. What an unbelievable girl. What a unbelievable waste.

Very sad, but shooting stars are beautiful. Be happy that you were able to catch a glimps of what she was able to give to this world.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

My condolences.

Condolences Joe. That is a tough read for sure. Prayers and thoughts are with you and the family of Alex.
    The Griz

so sorry to hear that -what a tragedy. just awful. deepest sympathies
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

I really feel ya Iceman. I learned last night that one of my BEST friends in High School is no longer with us. God bless the dead.

It makes me sad to hear stories like this. So many people with so much to give leave us way too soon. But it sounds like Alex really knew how to live and that is the lesson we all should take from her life. Live. Be strong. Don't be afraid to die because that in itself is a form of death. When death comes to those we love, even when too young and unexpected, celebrate the life they lived. That is what is most precious.

Condolences to all Alex's friends and loved ones.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

RIP Alex. What a shame. So sorry for your and your friend's loss, iceman.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

RIP Alex, may she be in all prayers and thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    It makes me sad to hear stories like this. So many people with so much to give leave us way too soon. But it sounds like Alex really knew how to live and that is the lesson we all should take from her life. Live. Be strong. Don't be afraid to die because that in itself is a form of death. When death comes to those we love, even when too young and unexpected, celebrate the life they lived. That is what is most precious.
    Oh, man, that girl knew how to LIVE. She wasn't afraid of anything. She packed more life into those 19 years than most of us will see in 75.

And we are gonna have an absolute fucking bash after the funeral, I guarantee you that. You gotta celebrate a life like that, but still you can sit in your Hampton Inn hotel room and cry. That's what I've been doing, the last couple hours, off and on.

It still doesn't seem real, but fuck I know it is.

Well written man, really shows how much you care for her and her family. I'm sorry for your loss, it says a lot about her that the people around her cared this much.

That's ok, man. You gotta do what you gotta do. Grief takes all your emotions and slaps you in the face with them over and over again. But you will come through on the other side, sad, but knowing you are a rich man for having known her.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

sounds like a blessing to your life and others' to have known such a shinning star of a person. her life lives on through how she touched you and how it changes the way you are.

feeling for ya ice, even though we've never met - condolences
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

A kayaker/writer that I have the utmost respect for once wrote that in each friend's death there is lesson, and that lesson is that friends final gift to us.

Fuck if I know what that lesson is, but I like the idea.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can find the lesson someday.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    A kayaker/writer that I have the utmost respect for once wrote that in each friend's death there is lesson, and that lesson is that friends final gift to us.

Fuck if I know what that lesson is, but I like the idea.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you can find the lesson someday.
    "wear your damn seatbelts" is the one that jumps out at me. The other three kids in the car are fine. they said she just took hers off for a minute to get something or other.

I guess sometimes the lessons are a little too obvious.

Wear your seatbelts, people. And your transceiver. And a rubber. And a helmet. Maybe all at once.

There are times when I'm not sure what words to use, times when your greatest gift is the support that you can lend.

Just as you are with beloved friends, we're with you.

A teacher of mine in high school told my class in a very serious tone that "by the time you guys are 25, at least 5 of you will be dead"

he was speaking about my entire class of a whopping 113 kids.

He was right, it was the strangest thing. I think there are six of us that are gone now.

Shango
    Seitz
    Ewing
    Campo
    And Brooks

I feel like I'm forgetting someone.
    edit for....Lance

Now Alex.
    Sorry Ice.
    Last edited by A-wreck; 01-15-2008 at 01:10 PM.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com