Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review: Scott Punisher 191

I got a pair of Scott Punisher 191s to be used as a crud/hardpack ski...only used them one day this weekend but they RIP. 130-90-116...huge sidecut so they carve well, but the fat tip was big enough to blast through some of the choppy rain-induced crud at Kirkwood on Sunday. Conditions varied from fresh groomers to iced groomers to ice moguls to hardpack to crust on dust to broken crust...they handled it all without hesitation.

Absolutely nailed a rock, and there was only minor base damage. It took me a few runs to get used to them (the tip threw me a bit exiting turns initially) but once I was getting totally centered, they were some of the most fun skis I've been on. I have them mounted on center with Rossi Power 140s. It's a very light ski, although those bindings added significant weight. Still, a very agile ski.

They are softer than my P4s, yet still very stable at speed, especially on edge. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and they fit exactly where I want them to in my quiver.

I posted this as advice in the Tahoe everyday ski thread, but thought this could be of use to others as well....

Nice! Thanks for the review, reminds me of the old Tanker, but obviously softer. Looks like a lot of fun...
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Do they have dinosaurs on the top sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Do they have dinosaurs on the top sheet?
    Damn, forgot to mention that critical detail...Yes, there is a rad T-Rex on the ski pictured on the left at the tail. The rest of the graphics I'm not a huge fan of, but the T Rex kills it.

Quote Originally Posted by skimoore View Post
    I got a pair of Scott Punisher 191s to be used as a crud/hardpack ski...only used them one day this weekend but they RIP. 130-90-116...huge sidecut so they carve well, but the fat tip was big enough to blast through some of the choppy rain-induced crud at Kirkwood on Sunday. Conditions varied from fresh groomers to iced groomers to ice moguls to hardpack to crust on dust to broken crust...they handled it all without hesitation.

Absolutely nailed a rock, and there was only minor base damage. It took me a few runs to get used to them (the tip threw me a bit exiting turns initially) but once I was getting totally centered, they were some of the most fun skis I've been on. I have them mounted on center with Rossi Power 140s. It's a very light ski, although those bindings added significant weight. Still, a very agile ski.

They are softer than my P4s, yet still very stable at speed, especially on edge. I'm 5'10" 155lbs and they fit exactly where I want them to in my quiver.

I posted this as advice in the Tahoe everyday ski thread, but thought this could be of use to others as well....

thanks for that mate, they may be exactly what i'm after. how are they in powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
    thanks for that mate, they may be exactly what i'm after. how are they in powder?
    Unfortunately, I haven't tried them in powder as of yet, so I couldn't really tell you...my P4s are the go-to ski on powder days, but I would expect the Punishers to handle powder well....if you had to make it a one ski quiver, it would definitely be up to the task.

Ha. I demo's the 182s the same day at Kirkwood. I already demo's Mantras (good), Gotamas (190s - too long), and then 4Frnt VCTs (really good). I was tired and tried the Punishers and loved them. They were softer than the others which was welcome after a long day.

The Scott's felt great from the first turn. Handled the hard chop, softer snow and felt great in the air (?). Well, that's about the extent of my review. If I sell a couple of skis I'm buying these... or the VCTs.

I'm 6'2" 190lbs

Looks like a decent corn touring ski eh?

I need something that's less explosiv than the explosivs I'm using right now.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Looks like a decent corn touring ski eh?

I need something that's less explosiv than the explosivs I'm using right now.
    I'd say it'd make an incredible corn touring ski...perhaps, come spring, we could work out a little trade for a bike...

I'd say it'd make an incredible corn touring ski...perhaps, come spring, we could work out a little trade for a bike...
    Start stocking up on PAIRS of these bitches.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

any more info on the 191 versions? they're based on the 183 mission so i'm guessing they're a pretty easy 191 to ski, that sound about right?

fwiw i'm 5'10" 170 and normally ski gun lab 188s and explosiv 180s.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    any more info on the 191 versions? they're based on the 183 mission so i'm guessing they're a pretty easy 191 to ski, that sound about right?

fwiw i'm 5'10" 170 and normally ski gun lab 188s and explosiv 180s.
    The punishers are full sidewall construction with extra fiberglass under the boot whereas Missions are sidewall with capped tip/tail and a softer flex. The punishers nearly have what could be considered early rise on the tip and tail, so the running length is on the shorter side, even for the 191's. The 182 punishers hand flex a bit softer than 183 Bro softs, but not as soft as most twin tips (Seths, etc). Shouldn't be hard to ski if you are used to heftier and less-turny explosives!

Is there any reason not to pick these up for $200? I always see them up on TD and they never sell so I'm just wondering why.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Is there any reason not to pick these up for $200? I always see them up on TD and they never sell so I'm just wondering why.
    Yeah, they're fugly. That's why they don't sell. However, if you can get over that, they're great skis.

Yeah, they're fugly. That's why they don't sell. However, if you can get over that, they're great skis.
    That much I gathered. Just wanted to make sure there were no quality issues outside of the graphics department.

Not that I know of, they've been bombproof for me so far, and Kirkwood isn't the nicest resort to skis...

Awesome thanks.

On Tramdock right now, have at 'em!

Punishers on Tramdock?

Do you remember how much they were going for? Think they'll come around again? I'm new to Tramdock.

$204 was the last I saw, judging by the stock on bc.com I'd say they'll be around again

whooo! i just bought these on TD. thanks for the review. i'd been skiing on some 191 explosiv (CMH) that I was borrowing from my brother, shamrock pow, but they didn't have enough sidecut for carving the hard snow. hopefully these 191s aren't too long (the CMHs seemed a bit too long). stoked... now I need some boots and bindings

Question Are the 191's too big for me?

I've never skied on anything that long. I'm about 6'1 225. I would say I'm a very aggressive skier. I mostly ski at resorts in the west. But I do like to explore pretty much everything at most resorts. Very little back country.

I've been skiing on some 182 - 1080 Foils and last year I was skiing the 174 Foils

What lengths are people using and how big are you?

Are the 191's going to be too long?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post
    I've never skied on anything that long. I'm about 6'1 225. I would say I'm a very aggressive skier. I mostly ski at resorts in the west. But I do like to explore pretty much everything at most resorts. Very little back country.

I've been skiing on some 182 - 1080 Foils and last year I was skiing the 174 Foils

What lengths are people using and how big are you?

Are the 191's going to be too long?

Thanks
    If the 182's normally feel too short, then no, they probably won't be too long.

You can probably answer your own question better than some degenerates on the internets.

6 feet tall and 195 pounds. I picked these guys up on Tramdock for next to nothing and never regretted it. They are my everyday ski in Western Canada and are really solid in pretty much every condition. I ride the 191 and the only thing the struggle on is tight bumps, but who the hell wants to ride those anyways. I have them mounted with Jesters and they stomp and rip everything. I like big skis for sure, but the 191 is not too much ski by any means, they are super fast and fun and I think most people with some good ability and confidence should be able to ski the 191. Go big or go home, and in the Punisher, go Big unless your riding lots of pipe

I skiied a pair of Sinfield's 181 Punishers with rossi axial something bindings (having the same bsl as your friends is convenient) and really enjoyed them. I'd been skiing glass 196 Lhasas as my everyday ski, so getting on something shorter and easier to snap around was playful and fun. What really surprised me about these was their stability at speed, especially relative to my size (6' 225) and their (relatively) short length. I'd definitely like to hop on some 191s--I feel like that could be a very fun ski.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop