"owning" a photo

when posting a photograph on the web or elsewhere, what do you do to make sure that you own the photograph?

http://www.digimarc.com/tech/dwm.asp

I don't bother, but then again I'm not posting anything marketable.

Technically the instant a picture is taken by you it is under copyright protection. It doesn't need to be registered at the copyright office. If you just want to know about copyright protection check out the FAQ at the U.S. Copyright site.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#what

How are you going to prove you took it?

do you suggest just putting a copyright and name on all the photos...or more like a watermark...or?

Embed your information into your photos and use a watermark if you so desire. Keep your RAWs or DNGs on a backup drive to prove ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    How are you going to prove you took it?
    If I need to, I've got the original RAW files around. No one else does. I'm pretty sure that would work in most cases to convince any reasonable person.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Embed your information into your photos and use a watermark if you so desire. Keep your RAWs or DNGs on a backup drive to prove ownership.

can i use photoshop for this?

You can enter copyright info in Photoshop by going to File -> File Info.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzilla View Post
    You can enter copyright info in Photoshop by going to File -> File Info.
    Unfortunately EXIF, etc. can easily be edited. Watermarking software actually embeds the info into the picture code itself - much harder to erase/edit.

is there any free watermarking software available, or is that something that one would purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatecoveredbacon View Post
    is there any free watermarking software available, or is that something that one would purchase?
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/bat...ng/index_r.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Unfortunately EXIF, etc. can easily be edited. Watermarking software actually embeds the info into the picture code itself - much harder to erase/edit.
    hmm, good to know.

does watermarking mean that the information is visible on the photo, or is it just like...information attached to the photo?

does watermarking mean that the information is visible on the photo, or is it just like...information attached to the photo?
    Watermarking is the ghost logo you see on photos. The embedded data is called EXIF data, which can contain a whole range of things like your name, camera model, settings the photo was shot at, and settings used in post processing.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_77 View Post
    Watermarking is the ghost logo you see on photos. The embedded data is called EXIF data, which can contain a whole range of things like your name, camera model, settings the photo was shot at, and settings used in post processing.
    ah thanks. that's what i figured, but i wasn't sure if there were different styles of watermarks or anything.

so EXIF = convienent and easy to give all your info, but can easily be changed by anyone who has the software...?

so EXIF = convienent and easy to give all your info, but can easily be changed by anyone who has the software...?
    I supose that the EXIF data could be edited if someone wanted to and had some kind of editor, but with Lightroom (and PS, I think) the data is just made up of settings used during the shot and during processing.

If you are running firefox, get the extension called EXIF viewer and you can left click on any jpeg and see the EXIF data associated with the photo.

"Could be?" It's easy as hell. Nobody who publishes low-rez versions of Pictures they plan on possibly selling relies solely on EXIF to protect their copyright, they do what Truth does and watermark the "meat" of the photo. There's no way of removing that watermark without ruining the image. Prospective clients can view the photos, then buy the full Rez non-watermarked files.

Honestly, even Grizzle6's "signed" images (see CR TR in the main forum) are easy to crop, rename, and either erase the EXIF fully or edit it, so unless he happens to stumble across them on the web they could be repurposed by an unscrupulous poopyhead very easily.

Actually, unless you physically register your photos at the US copyright office, you have very little recourse if your copyright does get infringed. Yes, you do instantly own the image and the copyright to it, but unless you register that right, it doesn't really mean a whole lot.

You can, however, register your copyright even after an infringement, but if your image is older than 3 months at the time you apply for registration , then you cannot claim statutory damages or counsel fees.

ASMP has a great tutorial and FAQ on the whole thing here

But applying a digital watermark to all of your photos you post on the web is an easy way to ensure that no one can use it and claim it to be theirs. And like Tippster said, if you're really wanting to sell photos, don't post it at all anywhere public on the web if you think the photo is sellable.
    Last edited by Storm11; 02-01-2008 at 01:01 PM.

how bout putting sig on each shots... is this editable or i mean removable by someone who wants to steal your shots?
    effect of ski length to your ski tricks