Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    You spent a week at Pdine? having trouble following your post. What are you saying about Topanga?

Convocation (not mass, it ain't catholic) was mandatory when I graduated, imagine it still is. I had to 'make up' about 15 of them my last semester so I could graduate
    Yes, actually less then a week. Was a transfer, 2nd year. You needed junior status to be eligible for a UC school so left me with Santa Clara, Pepp, and USC. Enrolled at Pepp walked into a triple dorm, both frosh's, said f u and left for SC.

Had good friends at Pepp so partied in Malibu/Topanga often and reaped the rewards -- yup yup.

And yes, convocation was the terminology they used. Religion a touch subject matter, so no offense, btw catholic boy here so no worries.

No offense taken at all, just pointing it out. None intended, either.

Pepp stuck me in a triple dorm room my freshman year, it was awful. I almost transferred on the spot as well. But glad I stuck it out. SC is a great school too.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    1) UCSC does not take all comers
    2) CPSLO sucks ass with the exception of a few programs
    3) central coast surf does not suck
    4) santa cruz surf is kook central
    1-2) By UCSC you're talking about UC Santa Cruz, right? The school that stopped giving out grades for a while - that UCSC? OK, well, to each his own.

3) I didn't say the Coast surf sucked, in fact I said it was great. Fickle is accurate. You can ride the rock 360 days out of the year (before the wind kicks in) but the really great spots break maybe once a year and you have to know what tide and swell it takes to catch it. Places like Pleasure Point and the Lane are like machines. I'd take either place in a heartbeat over SoCal which is where I live now. GOD I miss the Central Coast!

4) Guess you haven't been to Newport Beach in a while...

Hugh Conway Guest
    I was thinking of "surfing" not bobbing in the water on a longboard with paddlegloves

Cool Particle, all good.

But please don't ever group Pepp with SC as far as how much weight that degree holds I mean

To be clear, I'm speculating what weight it would hold in case I ever did real "work". The thought of the w word scares the shit out of me, f that.

Quote Originally Posted by cito View Post
    Cool Particle, all good.

But please don't ever group Pepp with SC as far as how much weight that degree holds I mean
    Hey now, we always rooted for SC over UCLA. Stupid public schools

As far as degree 'weight' in the working world...I'll give USC the 'recognition' nod over the entire country. Pdine is West coast ivy league - out east, it's not so well known.

Hugh Conway Guest
    when did USC become a public school?

Hugh, part of the brainwashing that goes on up there on the bluffs. What, you been under a rock or somin?

All kidding aside, Particle prob referring to UCLA...hopefully. And makes sense Particulous, snotty fucks rooting for snottier fucks. Yup Bruin'd.

Quote Originally Posted by cito View Post
    All kidding aside, Particle prob referring to UCLA...hopefully. And makes sense Particulous, snotty fucks rooting for snottier fucks. Yup Bruin'd.
    Yes and thanks for not making me say all that

As far as degree 'weight' in the working world...I'll give USC the 'recognition' nod over the entire country. Pdine is West coast ivy league - out east, it's not so well known.
    Particle...fortunately for us, this is quickly changing though. Seems more and more people are becoming aware of Pepperdine outside of California and the west coast. I know in my field (educational technology), their graduate program has gained a lot of recognition in recent years. And this is the case with a lot of their programs, particularly the graduate level stuff. And by all accounts, it is becoming more and more difficult to get into Seaver (fortunately, I was able to squeak by in '94 with my mediocre high school performance).

Plus...they use a ton of b-reel of Pepperdine as the backdrop for that Nickelodean show that Britney Spears' sister is on. That's got to count for something, right?

Yes and thanks for not making me say all that
    No problem. But wait, by "all that" you referring to the one line of text? Christ, never should have split for SC

FYI: The UCSD fight song happens to be "Wipeout".

Wow, so much Pepperdine love. I too am an Alum, class of 06. It is a great place for surf, the secret is super early dawn patrols at the Bu during swells, though you'll find some guy walking out when you're getting in at 5am and 15 guys already on it. I loved it, checking swells from campus, 12 minutes from my dorm room to first wave. Plus the education is top notch.

As for skiing, I logged some 30+ days my junior year with only 2 at a so cal resort, everything else was tahoe or mammoth. (mountain high is only 90 minutes away if you want to ski some park) All while maintaining over a 3.5. If you time your departure right, mammoth can be under 5 hours, just don't get stuck in Friday afternoon traffic. Night life in Malibu can be lacking, partying isn't really my thing, but I do know with all the money around there are plenty of parties.

I choose it for the academics, location, and for the Christian affiliation. So convocation and bible classes weren't an issue for me. That said, of the Christian schools in California, it is probably the most secular. Plenty of non-christians are attracted to it, which makes for a decent balance. The girls are great too, I forget who said it, but you definitely get distracted by the super hotties and then later on realize the 'average' girls are well above par. Unfortunately for me I didn't figure it out until my Junior year, coincidentally when I started skiing more....hmmm.

Just so you guys know, the Waves are playing Penn state in the men's volleyball championship tomorrow, 4pm on ESPN 2. No football, but those guys are nuts, and there is no better heckler's sport. Go Waves!
    Go Sharks.

Please tell me you are joking. Pepp an Ivy league of the West??? That is the funniest thing I have heard for a while. I think the only people who respect the Pepp degree are the people who went there.

Edit: I will say though, Pepp has the sickest location and views of any school. The surf is great as well!
    Last edited by supermodel159; 05-03-2008 at 08:17 AM.

Finally, some logic around here...as opposed to nonsensical bs. Facts are facts, and werd up super.

If you surf in Maine it probably doesn't matter, but the water is significantly warmer from Malibu south. Not Florida warm, but no wet suit warm, at least in summer. North of Malibu is mostly wet suit weather year round.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Not a surfer, but you guys disapoint.

Santa Barbara city college. The girls are dumber, less studying, more surfing.

Ditto for San Diego State.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If you surf in Maine it probably doesn't matter, but the water is significantly warmer from Malibu south. Not Florida warm, but no wet suit warm, at least in summer. North of Malibu is mostly wet suit weather year round.
    You should change that to Santa Barbara/any place East of Point Concepcion. I was amazed that the water in Central Baja was colder than Santa Barbara, sinbce the Alaska Currennt, which avoids Santa Monica Bay, hits Baja right around Ensenada.

Yeah Northern Baja is like that
    The water can be 72 in San Diego and 5 miles over the border at BM's the water will be 59. Its full suits almost year around

surfermag.com had a good article about top 10 surf universities.
    http://www.surfermag.com/magazine/ar...-08/index.html
    I swiped it at Hollister good toilet rag
    you want I should post the top 10 ?
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Actually, this thread confusing and innaccurate. It's where you live while attempting to get a good education. I mean seriously, what's the damn difference if point B is the shiz break and two schools are located at point A and point C. Sheesh, live closest to point B and attend school that provides best education, whether it's A or C.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    ...San Diego State.
    I hear they have good drugs there.
    Authorities Crack Down on Campus Drug Ring
    Nearly 100 People Arrested in Drug Bust at San Diego State University
    By JACK DATE, JASON RYAN, PIERRE THOMAS and THERESA COOK

May 6, 2008—

Police have arrested 96 people  75 of them students  in a drug bust at San Diego State University, law enforcement sources say.

Police picked up the individuals for charges stemming from possession and sales of cocaine, marijuana, ecstasy and other drugs.

Authorities say among those arrested was a student who worked as an employee of the campus police and was one month away from graduating with a masters degree in Homeland Security. Another suspect found with 500 grams of cocaine and two guns is a criminal justice major.

As part of the investigation, the Drug Enforcement Agency and San Diego State University police say they infiltrated seven fraternities on campus, finding that most or all of the members were aware of the drug dealing activity in their organizations.

Law enforcement sources gave one example of a fraternity member who sent a text message to his "faithful customers," alerting them that he and his "associates" were headed to Las Vegas for a few days and would be unavailable for transactions  but in the message he allegedly sent, he mentioned "sale" prices on cocaine.

The crackdown by the DEA and San Diego State University Police came after two accidental cocaine overdoses on campus in the past year. The initial undercover operation, dubbed "Operation Sudden Fall," began after a female student died from a cocaine overdose in 2007.

Law enforcement sources say that in February, while the operation was under way, an SDSU student died from an accidental overdose of cocaine in a fraternity house.

Police served nine search warrants; evidence recovered included four pounds of cocaine, 50 pounds of marijuana, marijuana plants and other assorted drugs including ecstasy pills, mushrooms, hash oil, methamphetamine and prescription drugs.

Additionally, police say they found a shotgun, three semi-automatic pistols, brass knuckles and $60,000 cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    You should change that to Santa Barbara/any place East of Point Concepcion. I was amazed that the water in Central Baja was colder than Santa Barbara, sinbce the Alaska Currennt, which avoids Santa Monica Bay, hits Baja right around Ensenada.
    Central Baja temps are always a shock the first time you head down there. Some of the coldest water I've been in was out on the Vizcaino peninsula. The air temps were ~90-100 just off the beach, but the water temps damn cold. Empty surf possible, but you freeze.