Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Girlfriend (hot SFW pics inside) is a skiing beginner: What to do?

TGR Preliminaries:
    - Ok, now that I have your attention, no, there will be no (naked) pictures.
    - No, ditching her for the sake of someone who already knows how to ski is also not an option.
    - Yes, I tried searching but could not find anything on this topic.

The Problem:
    My girlfriend is a skiing beginner and we're going to an EC resort for 3 days on a ski trip. She has never skied before in her life, but has gone cross-country skiing and played hockey in high school and college (and still plays recreationally right now). She also has very good hand-eye coordination and plays a ton of other sports.

I have passed the Austrian Skiing Instructor test when I was 20, but have taught only kids and haven't taught anyone in 7 years.

I am prepared to spend any amount of time/money to get her skiing well as quickly as possible.

Questions:
    - Should I get her a ski instructor?
    - If I decide to teach her myself, what books should I consult beforehand?
    - Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

---

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

Here are some pictures from her 5th and 6th day of skiing at Jay Peak and Cannon:

Many thanks to tief_schnee for the Lange Comp 120 (she doesn't know how stiff they are), mountainman for the Look Nova 10 and Schuss for gifting his awesome Dynastar Candide Pro (sorry, mang, we took off the "Dirty Tree Sluts" stickers!).

---

Oh, and if you really want to see some hot pics, you should have read my earlier threads:

Somewhere in Syria

Somewhere in France sliding rails at -26°C
    Last edited by Franz Klammer; 03-22-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Questions:

YES!!!!!
    Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths

WTF! Where are the hot SFW pics?

False Advertising!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Teaching your GF/BF other is a good way to end a relationship quickly.

Get an instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Questions:
    - Should I get her a ski instructor? YES
    - If I decide to teach her myself, what books should I consult beforehand? NO
    - Any other suggestions? SEE YES ABOVE

Many thanks in advance!

If you do YES where I typed NO:

She will end up crying
    You will end up cursing
    You will not get laid
    You will masturbate
    Your relationship will be history to be followed by a "I'm so ronery" thread
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

^ This man speaks the truth. Been there, done that....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Yeah dude,
    I'll agree that teaching girls is bad news.

Get her some lessons, Ski hard while she's in the lessons, take a break for some lunch and hot chocolate and then take it easy with her the rest of the day.

Rinse and repeat

If money is not an issue then go with the private lesson.

I should have said that I did take the Austrian Skiing Instructor Test when I was 20 and have taught little kids 7 years ago. Not that this is terribly important.

Preach the good word man, preach. oh and probably an amen in there too. been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    If you do YES where I typed NO:

She will end up crying
    You will end up cursing
    You will not get laid
    You will masturbate
    Your relationship will be history to be followed by a "I'm so ronery" thread
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

Where are you going?
    I would say just teach her. She seems athletic - she'll pick it up fine and you'll enjoy the experience. My GF bascially taught me to ski and I taught her to row...that worked fine and we're still together.

You are asking for it... I taught my wife and we got married in spite of it, but highly recommend a private for two hours...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

In no event should you teach a beginning S.O., family member, or friend.

Giving tips later is a different call, and one you'll have to play by ear.

But for the beginner, you'd just be asking for trouble.
    not counting days 2016-17

spend the money for lessons or you will soon be spending that money on happy endings.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

So where are the pics?... I'm near Boston and I just may be available for a "private"...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

What do you call a boyfriend teaching a girlfriend to ski

a future ex...

what do you call the girlfriend

Why would you call her after she let you stick it in the poopenhausen.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Loveskis with beginner skiers will ultimately end in tears. You can do one of two things: pawn her off on a ski instructor, or take her out yourself, scare the shit out of her so she will never want to ski with you again.

just went through this with my completely new to snowboarding boyfriend.

how we did it worked great- put him in a half day private during the first half of the day, met up for lunch, and then skied with him in the afternoon.

it was great because then he could show me what he learned. Also was nice because he could take out frustrations on instructor and not me!

Would highly recommend the private lesson if you can swing the $$ as well, esp for a very beginner beginner.

Surprisingly, I had a lot of fun skiing with him on the afternoons, despite it being like a sports blooper reel. Guess I am getting soft in my old age and schmoopy love stuff wins out over skiing hardcore all day!

Another tip- try and be patient in the mornings. I had to hold myself back when he was getting used to getting all the stuff together, how to carry everything, what to bring, etc. After all these years, we have skiing down to such a quick routine i am normally out the door, gear on in the parking lot and straight to the lift. It was a test of patience to go in the lodge, get all the gear on, etc etc... a lot slower pace. Try and appreciate it for what it is: a fun day in the outdoors with a loved one

hope that helps have fun out there!! hopefully she will like it, it actually was really cool watching someone get excited about the sport that I love so much.

Quote Originally Posted by skibuminwyo View Post
    Preach the good word man, preach. oh and probably an amen in there too. been there
    me too

1 - 1 or small group lessons for the week. You can do your thing in the morning, chill rest of the time at her pace, drink & long lunches etc. your patience will pay off

false advertising is bad.

ski instructors are good.

maybe after her ski lesson you can hire yourself an advertising consultant so as not to falsely advertise anymore
    my dog sheds the gnar.

Questions:
    - If I decide to teach her myself, what books should I consult beforehand?
    - Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!
    get her an instructor for sure.

id say if shes had skis on her feet before and played hockey, skip over that wedge bullshit and teach her how to parallel from the start. I might say that teach her the basics to start and then get her into the not so beginner class that teaches "beginning parallel" or whatever its called.

make sure you keep it fun and get her doing things she wants to do on her own schedule
    dont pressure her too much.

My brother also had the very useful suggestion of going ski touring with her and then at the top of the mountain tell her:

"Ok, now ski this. I'll see you at the bottom."

Truth in this thread!

I tell my Mrs Webb to to keep her hands forward and don't be afraid to bend her knees and shift her weight while initiating a turn in crud. She tells me to "stop telling her what to do".

Ski instructor tells Mrs Webb to to keep her hands forward and don't be afraid to bend her knees and shift her weight while initiating a turn in crud. She tells me "that instructor is awesome, he's such a good skier. His tips really helped."

.. played hockey in high school and college (and still plays recreationally right now). She also has very good hand-eye coordination and plays a ton of other sports.
    That's good news, she probably won't be as afraid of falling as much as most other beginners. As for teaching her yourself, it's generally not recommended unless you have a instructing background, and lots of patience.

If you do decide to teach her, go into your trip expecting to not ski anything more challenging than an easy green. Too many guys (and girls) try to teach their s/o's how to ski, get impatient, and end up stressing her and themselves out. Also, don't talk to her in the same tone you'd use to encourage a new puppy to perform tricks, that shit never ends well. Be positive, constructive and avoid phrases like "you're doing it wrong".

oh- another thing that might help- over on epic they have a ton of "learning how to ski" threads, in fact, they have an entire forum section dedicated to it. if she is one of those people that can read about something and learn how to do it, then I would have her browse some of that stuff.

one final tip- if you are going away to teach her rather than day trips- try and emphasize the "vacation" over skiing. When I took him I tried to plan lots of other fun stuff that he would really like to do so just being at the mountain from 8-4 every day wasn't the focus of the trip. We did massages, exploring lake placid, went out to eat, board games, etc etc.. i think the more positive the initial experience, the more likely she would be to stick with it.