Sage Rods... (FLi and Launch series)

Anybody know much about either the FLi or the Launch series (these are Sage's 'cheaper' models). Unfortunately these are the only ones in my forseeable price range.

They are both good rods. Heavier than their $$$ rods but still have a nice feel to them. I've fished both and would take the FLi over the Launch. It has a smooth feel and a well rounded flex for Trout fishing.

If possible, go to a shop that carries both and have them string both up.

You might want to check into Winston's Vapor series as well. Good stick for the price, IMO.

there are a lot of better rods for the money
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Why not check out TFO?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

^ Was just about to suggest that

or similarly, a St Croix

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    there are a lot of better rods for the money
    How so? (I started this thread for discussion)

I should change the thread title to "Fly Rods in the low-to-medium Price Range"

i know it's kind of OT, but has anyone checked out the new Ross fly rods? i guess they have some priced at around $99 like TFO.

i have a TFO 7' 2wt for a creek rod and i love it. im planning on getting an 8 wt of some sort this spring. probably a LL Bean, but im going to check out TFO as well.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Thanks for the tip on the TFO's. I was browsing their site and I can't believe how affordable they are. I am looking in the 3wt to 4wt range for my local waters.

TFO makes good sticks for the price. I own 1 and sold another last year...I like(d) both. For what you're, (72 - not the rest of you. He asked the Q), looking for, the Sage rods are far better, IMO. TFO doesn't cut it for me when making dry fly presentations with relatively small dries. Nymphing, chuck-'n'-duck, hopper/dropper type fishing....TFO = great for the $.

I'm not bashing TFO rods! BUT, if you're waving a 3-4wt rod, you aren't gonna be throwing flies that require a beefy but section, (characteristic of TFO). I'd be looking for a rod that I could feel loading and releasing the line. The FLi will produce that much better than the TFO lines, IMO.

There are a ton of options out there. You should also check out the Scott A2.

Yeah, I have a cheap Scientific Anglers 5-6 wt (bro-in-law won it as a door prize at his work and does not fly fish - gave it to me) that is great for chunking big flies and lake fishing in the wind.

schwerty is exactly right - I am looking for a rod with sensitive feel and for precise presentation. I also want to own a more premium rod that what I already have - kinda like when I finally went to fat skis.

I'll check out what Scott and Winston have as well. Here in town, one of the fly shops (West Laramie Fly Store) is a Sage dealer, and the other (Four Season Anglers) is a Winston dealer. So I know I will be able to scratch and sniff models from those two. Also an hour away in Fort Collins, CO is a store that I frequent that sells Loomis.

I have not yet decided between a 3wt and a 4wt. The size of water here varies some - but I have a 5-wt rod (9ft) and 2 6-wt rods (8ft and 9 ft). There are some very small streams in the mountains, but mostly I am on a "medium" sized river (Big Laramie) and/or the small lakes here. Also, I usually have to deal with wind around here.

My "big" river time is usually spent on the North Platte up around Casper, Wyo when I go up and fish with my uncle (lives in Casper) and my dad (when he is in the area - that is usually where we fish). That's when I usually use the 5-wt. I also fish the Teton River and Snake River when we are up in Driggs, as well as the Sweetwater River and the Wind River when I am visiting family up around Riverton, Wyo.
    Last edited by 72Twenty; 01-09-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Also - what do you guys think of Redington rods? It seems Sierra Trading Post (located about 45 miles from me) has quite a few Redington rods in stock pretty regularly, as well as other Redington gear.

I heard somewhere that Sage owns the Redington name. Is this true?

edit - heh- looky here...

At STP right now - a Redington 3-4wt 8ft rod for $38!!!

I guess I couldn't really go wrong here for a light rod, huh?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...-2-Piece-.html

Last edited by 72Twenty; 01-09-2008 at 10:26 PM.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    For the money, about 175-bucks, I have not found a better rod than the Cabela's LST series in the 4-pc 4-5 wt's. Bought a Sage SLT when they went clearance in August for dry fly chucking. Tried a buddies LST in Oct and now I own 2 of them. I would highly reccomend them for an all-rounder moderate fast action.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Also - what do you guys think of Redington rods? It seems Sierra Trading Post (located about 45 miles from me) has quite a few Redington rods in stock pretty regularly, as well as other Redington gear.

I heard somewhere that Sage owns the Redington name. Is this true?

edit - heh- looky here...

At STP right now - a Redington 3-4wt 8ft rod for $38!!!

I guess I couldn't really go wrong here for a light rod, huh?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/1...-2-Piece-.html

i think thats a good deal. if you dont like it, its a good one to give to someone starting to learn. i find that in a small rod (short, 2 - 3 wt) performance is less important. you arent going to often be chucking more than 25 - 30 ft, generally on smaller streams for smaller fish (read less wary) so presentation isnt really as important.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Actually, the 3wt TFO is exactly the rod I use most for delicate dry fly presentation on smaller local waters and I love it. I bring out the sage xp for the nymphing and hucking.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I just bought a 9' 5-weight 2-piece FLi last year and really like it. Lightweight, smooth, medium-fast action. I also have a VPS 4-piece, 4-weight. It's a sweet rod - discontinued but maybe you can find one cheap somehwere. The Sage lifetime warranty is awesome.

EDIT:

After a quick google search....

http://westernsportshop.com/Merchant...y_Code=VPSVPSL

$250 is a good deal for this rod. This is the 4 weight I have and I LOVE it. I think I found it for the exact same price at another shop somehwere online and pulled the trigger after figuring out it was the best deal.
    Last edited by sierraskier; 01-10-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    i think thats a good deal. if you dont like it, its a good one to give to someone starting to learn. i find that in a small rod (short, 2 - 3 wt) performance is less important. you arent going to often be chucking more than 25 - 30 ft, generally on smaller streams for smaller fish (read less wary) so presentation isnt really as important.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Plus, it can be the rod I let friends or the wife use and if it ever breaks (stepped on, car door, etc.) I won't be too upset. I will still be in the market for a nicer rod, but I think I might just get this one for utility use.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Actually, the 3wt TFO is exactly the rod I use most for delicate dry fly presentation on smaller local waters and I love it. I bring out the sage xp for the nymphing and hucking.
    yeah, me fly fishing is kind of like parallel turns on tele gear.
    usually big streamers, big rods, sinking lines. probably should just say fuck it and get a spinning rod and some rapalas.

oh yeah, and big fish too.

Ben Franklin

I asked my dad what he thought of TFO's, and he seems to like them as well. His response to my email:

They are good rods, especially for the money. Made in China now, I think, but were made in Korea before that. I have one - a 6wt salt water version. It casts well. They have various grade levels. I have the Lefty Kreh TiCr model. It's no longer the top of the line, but a good rod still. I use it in Belize when the wind is not blowing.

Those rods don't really have the feel that Sage is known for. Personally I think they suck, but different strokes for different folks. No offense to whoever suggested the Winston Vapor but that rod is the biggest piece of shit I have ever tried. I'd rather fish with a Cortland rod from Wal-Mart. I think the best "value priced" fly rod out there right now is Albright. Like TFO they're made overseas, they're really cheap and feel better than TFO. Why not try to pick up some vintage Sage on ebay or something? The DS2 is a sweet feeling rod and there was one on Craigslist in Big Sky for $100 a couple months ago so there are deals out there. I'd also drop the whopping $38 for that Redington. Their rods are good and at that price you can keep it kicking around as a backup. I don't own anything less than 8'9" because shorter rods don't make all that much sense to me in the west, but plenty of people prefer 8'6" for their everyday western trout fishing.

nice mobows there fez.

.......stirring the flyrod pot...

72Twenty,
    IMHO #3wt = If you can get close and you're pretty sure of up & across presentations....#3 can work, but a #4 can be thrown a good distance without a lot of backbone in a rod. Even with glassy surface I've never spooked any wary NE brown with a #4line. A #5wt line requires a little care not to land hard...but you know how long you can throw it... A #5wt does lose that really light feel but with a halfway good leader and a little broken surface(=noise) you can fish a #5wt just like a #4wt...
    $.01
    Last edited by steved; 01-23-2008 at 12:30 AM.

I would agree about the older Sage DS2's, nice rods, smooth action. You can find 'em on Ebay. The FLi and Launch are waaaaaay overpriced. They have cheaper hardware, the wraps aren't as nice but they do have the Sage logo, which is nice.

Somebody mentioned Scott. I've heard good things about them too.

Myself, I build rods and wouldn't pay the money for what the big names want for their blanks.

Edit: You should find someone who has a Dan Craft 1 weight out their. Nothing finer for 12-18 inch cutts.
    Last edited by powking12; 01-23-2008 at 12:33 PM.