Question European Languages

This is for anyone who either lives in Europe, has traveled in Europe, or knows anything about it...

I'm kicking around the idea of moving there for awhile. Things aren't materializing yet, and I'm trying to decide between Europe and Anchorage, but I want to begin learning a language to get a head start.

I already know some Spanish. I'm looking at either Italy, France, Switzerland or Austria, so I don't think Spanish will help me. I also plan to do a lot of traveling, and of course skiing and climbing.

My question is, if I was to learn one language, is there one that is spoken most widely throughout Europe that would be the best to know? I've heard it's German, and then I've heard French, but only from people who don't know anything more about it than I do. So, please help out a travel jong!

edit: incorrect use of a pronoun
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

if you speak english, you're golden. it's the most common language between all the countries in europe, at least among younger people... imo. your positive attitude and open mind are probably just as important as any language skills.

if you mean an 'useful language for ski bum-ing in europe', AFAIK, you already know it.
    English is widely spoken in ski-resorts, by a bunch of nordic, english and US people, plus all the natives that are eager to chat with danish chicks (or norvegian guys, depends).

I don't know which of french and german is the most widely spoken. I'll learn french if I were you, it's quite a nice language, and you'll have plenty of people to deal/speak/ride/climb/etc. with in the french alps, swiss alps and Pyrénées. Italian sounds great also, and German, why not? Not that much use in european mountains I believe. Dunno.

Why don't you consider learning Norvegian? No kidding. it sounds great.

edit - incorrect use of a verb
    Last edited by supercastor; 04-29-2004 at 12:40 PM.

English is going to be pretty useful. That said, making attempts to speak the language will be appreciated and IMO you will get more out of the experience as a result.

There was an American couple in La Grave last winter who didn't speak any French. They never really got to know anyone and came in for some stick from the locals for seeming distant. They didn't have a good time in the resort at all. I advise learning the language.

If I were you I would decide where you want to go then learn that language. A 1/4 chance that you'll pick the right language when you haven't decided where to go is pretty slim.

Learn French as some of the best skiing is in France. It'll serve you in parts of Switzerland as well. I found in Austria that the locals spoke excellent English and really didn't mind that I knew three words of German. In France they get a little more stuffy about people not making an effort with the language. It could just be that they hate the English.

French is the only other language I (attempt to) speak, it sounds nicer than German and it has served me for the last 11 years of skiing in Eurpoe.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

I'll second Mrs Roo's recommendation:

Le français, le français, le français !
    drC - Shameless French guy. But really, there's some kick-ass skiing and outdoors stuff to do there and in the close-by Switzerland. And seriously: pick the place first, and then learn the local language.

I'm going to buck the trend. Certainly english is everywhere in all the ski towns, but people do respect you for trying their language. I'd recomend German. It get's You Austria, Germany almost anywhere in Switzerland and alot of norther Italy that borders Austria. I've spent a shit load of time in Austria and you will have no problems without an additional language.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Anchorage dude, AK is the shit yeah Europe is pretty cool too but come to AK so I can ski with Maggots

From what I've heard english is golden everywhere and if you know spanish you can figure everything else out pretty easy
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey
    AK is the shit yeah Europe is pretty cool too but come to AK
    And how often have you skied in Europe, young man? Do you have any idea of the scale of the Alps?

Quote from Free skier mag (Feb 2004): Take your 10 favourite North American resorts......place them side by side...tack on a few thousand vertical feet......you have something approaching the Tarentaise Valley.

That is only one valley in France.
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

hey, thanks for all the advice! Yeah, when I decide where I definitely want to live I will learn that language, but before I move over there I'm planning to take a month or so to go over there, ski, and travel around figuring out where I want to live. That's why I was asking for which language is most widely spoken... something that will help me out for that month.

And yeah, living in Anchorage would be pretty cool, but I really like the allure of living in a foreign country where I don't know the language as well... more of a challenge, I suppose. Plus, I've lived in the Southern Alps, I suppose I should try out the Northern ones.

Cheers everyone!
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

See you at the Euro mini in January!

Originally posted by Mrs Roo
    And how often have you skied in Europe, young man? Do you have any idea of the scale of the Alps?

Quote from Free skier mag (Feb 2004): Take your 10 favourite North American resorts......place them side by side...tack on a few thousand vertical feet......you have something approaching the Tarentaise Valley.

That is only one valley in France.
    I can imagine what the scale is (I do live in AK) I just can't imagine how there are people all through mountains like that and like lifts everywhere... If I can't live in europe why should anybody else?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey
    I can imagine what the scale is (I do live in AK) I just can't imagine how there are people all through mountains like that and like lifts everywhere...
    Come and see for yourself. Tell your mum and dad about the virtues of expanding your cultural horizons. Tell them it will help your development.... that may work.

Originally posted by snowfire
    hey, thanks for all the advice! Yeah, when I decide where I definitely want to live I will learn that language, but before I move over there I'm planning to take a month or so to go over there, ski, and travel around figuring out where I want to live. That's why I was asking for which language is most widely spoken... something that will help me out for that month.
    If you want to learn French there is an excellent language school in Grenoble, attached to the universities. It is dirt cheap (like 150 Euros per semeter), really close to the mountains and student accommodation in Grenoble is cheap (although it can be a bitch to find during semesters).

Worth checking out their 4 week intensive courses. I'm pretty sure they teach other languages too but I think you may need to be enrolled in the university to do them. Amusingly the site is in French - great for those who want to learn French. CUEF Grenoble