review: Stockli stormrider XXL and XXXL

I was interested in trying some sticks for days w/o powder (in my quiver, lotuses and wailers 105 are for glory pow days, rossi squad pro like the powder-free areas but are heavy like uranium). I've read lust in yurp forums about the new stormrider series, so decided to give a day to XXL (80 in the middle) and one to XXXL (89 in the middle, with a still uncertain genealogy with old scot schmidts). Both were in 178 because this is the size I (180x80 kg) like most out of pow. I skied everything (from groomed to heavy crust but powder).

I usually classify sticks as hysterical or lazy.

XXL: They fit in the hysterical stick range, and remember a porsche as a car or a KTM as a bike. I've been smashed by how much stockli improved over the old, classic XL. These red XXL kiss the terrain, stick and copulate with snow and give you back all your energy along with an amazing safety feeling. They are so easy to switch from edge to edge that you simply can't stop to enjoy. They reach their speed limit, though, when you blast through thick crust.

XXXL: They fit in the lazy stick range, and remember a jaguar as a car or a triumph as a bike. As XXL, these yellow XXXL kiss the terrain, stick and copulate with snow and give you an AMAZING, AMAZING safety feeling. They are less easy to switch from edge to edge, so you have to plan a bit in advance where you want to go, but are WAY less demanding than squad pros, that - at least in my hands - always required a lot of attention during the drive. XXXL had apparently no speed limit, and, most of all, like to eat and destroy crust almost as well as squad pros (albeit XXXL weight was much lower).

Both have squaretails (which I like cuz I'm too old for tricks) which give you smoothly back all the energy you pump in.
    Overall, two rad sticks that I liked much more of K2, scotts, dynastar, volkl, rossi and atomic of similar sizes and ranges that I've demoed so far.

Cool. I’ve been wondering about those two skis. Thanks for the review.
    There's a lot to be said for nowhere.

verbier, have you skied the old XLs? I have had those skis for 4 years now and absolutely love them. But I definitely desire something fatter with similar or better snow-copulating characteristics.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

viva, you should demo the movement thunder as well. those things are OFF THE CHAIN. and an 87mm waist.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    verbier, have you skied the old XLs? I have had those skis for 4 years now and absolutely love them. But I definitely desire something fatter with similar or better snow-copulating characteristics.
    yes, and I loved them too, but never decided to buy 'em because they're too slim. The new XXL are along the same XL line and a sure step forward (albeit not a giant one) in terms of do-it-all attitude. XXXL are different, less nervous and reactive, I deeply love 'em but they don't remember me the XL.
    I'm actually not sure that all people in love with the XL can really appreciate movement thunders (sticks that generated very polarized reactions here in yurp). In very general terms, in yurp big and muscle guys like the thunders, slim and less physical folks hate them.

thanks for this review.... confirming my suspicions!

Sick, now if they could just make the current DP's 105 underfoot, I would likely not need another ski again... Here's to hoping for a width increase next season (I have the old XLs, and the current gen DP's which I absolutely adore, just would love a tiny bit more girth for the deep days....)

Quote Originally Posted by Evmo View Post
    Sick, now if they could just make the current DP's 105 underfoot, I would likely not need another ski again... Here's to hoping for a width increase next season (I have the old XLs, and the current gen DP's which I absolutely adore, just would love a tiny bit more girth for the deep days....)
    Rumors at stoeckli are along this way. I've just met DP skiing with his kid in verb 4 days ago, and he didn't seem to need a fatter ski, though

I demoed DPs and race stock gs skis before xmas, and the norwegian importer said they would have a 100+ option next year....

Didn't have the time to try the XXLs but the radius is a bit short for my liking. XXXLs they didn't bring so no chance to compare with my SS of last year, but the description and dimensions sure make it seem like pretty much the same thing.

^^ Anyone gotten a ride on the 101mm Scot Schmidt Ltd Stormriders? Sounds like something I'd dig...

Scot Schmidt is just a rebadged DP+. A friend of mine demoed them earlier this year, his impression was that were just an even wider stiff gs board, submarines in pow.

read a lot of DP+ reviews from yurp. Muscle guys are very happy with them, they're really stiffer than DPs. Being not a muscle guy, I'll stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by thd View Post
    Scot Schmidt is just a rebadged DP+. A friend of mine demoed them earlier this year, his impression was that were just an even wider stiff gs board, submarines in pow.
    Not true, the SS is a softer. I have a pair of the prototypes, which were just a rebadged DP+, and flexed them against the SS's we had on the wall, big difference.

Scot weighs 145, and always has to argue with the guys at Stockli to make his skis softer. The Swiss are not much for listening by the way.

And yes, DP+ not so good in pow, good in windpack and best in corn.

Quote Originally Posted by thd View Post

NOt quite true.. the SS model is slightly different flex (softer) and also doesn't come in the 193 and 201 sizes that the DP PRO + does. These also have a different sidecut to the smaller sizes. Slightly narrower tail on the big ones.

If you submarine on these then that's either

(a) you are on the wrong length - I mean the 186 SS is not the right ski for 190lbs + strong skiers that are 6ft plus. Hence why the 193 and 201 exist.

(b) Rider technique or error. Come one at 101mm these are not a narrow ski and they can go at break neck speed in the deep. If you have your weight in the wrong place then maybe you won't like them. Sorry that's a bit of a rant but there are some people that can only ski powder on huge snowboard like boards I think. Try going back to some nice 1992 Rossi 204cm slalom skis for a bit of powder fun !!

I have a review of the DP PRO + linked in the review thread if anyone is interested in these skis.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperGaper View Post
    Not true, the SS is a softer. I have a pair of the prototypes, which were just a rebadged DP+, and flexed them against the SS's we had on the wall, big difference.

Scot weighs 145, and always has to argue with the guys at Stockli to make his skis softer. The Swiss are not much for listening by the way.

And yes, DP+ not so good in pow, good in windpack and best in corn.
    really useful, thanks!!!
    at 145, he's definitely lighter than DP....
    now let's see if stockli will distribute SS in yurp