Premiere Pro - smaller file size for video?

I recently aquired Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 and made my first cut on a movie. Turned out really well, like the quality of the edits and features. Anyhow, the only thing I noticed after I exported to a Movie was the file is 700 megs (3:30 minutes).

I am looking for a way to compress the file or something. Is there an option for that? The only thing I see remotely related is when you are creating a new project it seems to ask for file size, pixels etc.

help a brotha out?

advres Guest
    What codec did you capture the footage using?
    What codec are you exporting the footage as?

Maybe export to Avi or Quicktime and reduce quality or size. There should be options when exporting to reduce frame size or quality thus reducing file size. Different codecs will do different things to the video and size, so you need to experiment.

I only use FCP so I am unsure about what codecs are included with the PP package.

I'm not sure what codec was used for capture. But for export I chose Microsoft AVI and then it defaulted to the Compressor: Cinepac Codec by Radius <<< this is the one that ended up being 700 megs.

I've been playing around with the options. I have changed it to Quicktime (file type) with Mpeg4 for the compressor, this results in 70-100 megs. I like that but the problem is the video became very blurry when changing the frame rate and quality options.

I attached some screenshot in hope that someone can help me.

Compressor options

Filetype options

Quality and frames options

It just seems like there should be a more cut and dry option to make vids decent quality but smaller file size.

Here's what she looks like at 90 megs uploaded to Youtube

I've been using premiere pro 1.5 for about a year now and have CS3 in the mail to my house at the moment.

I've got some quicktime and wmv output presets that I created myself that put out some decent file sizes. They're still compressed so they don't look as crisp as a straight up avi, but they're still pretty good and are much more manageable.

If you're just going to youtube, it really doesn't matter too much how good your video looks. Youtube will kill it.

And you shouldn't be changing your framerate on export. You need to match your camera on the capture settings and then output using the same framerate. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of skips in your footage.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I've been using premiere pro 1.5 for about a year now and have CS3 in the mail to my house at the moment.

I've got some quicktime and wmv output presets that I created myself that put out some decent file sizes. They're still compressed so they don't look as crisp as a straight up avi, but they're still pretty good and are much more manageable.

If you're just going to youtube, it really doesn't matter too much how good your video looks. Youtube will kill it.

And you shouldn't be changing your framerate on export. You need to match your camera on the capture settings and then output using the same framerate. Otherwise you're going to get a lot of skips in your footage.
    Cool man, thanks for the info.

Can you post the settings you are using? I'd be interested in checking them out.

As for youtube, copy that. I was just trying to get the file to look decent and be small enough to post on my website (but not overdo the bandwidth limit).

For the windows media (what I use most)

File>export>adobe media encoder>

I started with the WM9 720 30p preset and then changed some things.

Click on 'video' on the left side of the window under 'summary'
    You'll get a 'Video Codec Settings' pulldown: pick Windows Media Video 9
    Under bitrate settings, click 'two' and for bitrate mode: 'Variable Unconstrained'

Click on 'audio on the left side of the window under 'summary'
    Choose 'Windows Media Audio 9.2'
    Again pick two encoding passes and 'variable unconstrained'

Now before you're done click on 'pre encoding tasks'
    Pull down the 'deinterlace' option and click on it.
    You'll get another pulldown that shows up with 3 options. Pick either upper or lower (it doesn't matter which), or if you know you've got a camera that shoots in progressive mode, you can skip this step. Most video cameras shoot interlaced footage which is basically designed for a television. Look up video interlacing if you want to know more.

Try that out and see what you think.

Here's a vid I did with those settings.

http://kidwoo.com/images/gotama/Summers_Eve.wmv

It's 720 x 480 which is most likely all you video camera puts out and looks fairly decent on the web.

If you're not happy with that, I'll copy the quicktime preset I did.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

What camera are you shooting with? HDV or DV?

Try exporting in Quicktime (h.264 on your screen grab) to 640x480 for 4:3 ratio (assuming your shooting DV at 4:3). A bitrate of 3,000 will give you a file size of about 15-20mb per minute of footage. Lower the bitrate, lower the quality, lower the file size.

Bandwidth an issue? I have 6,000GB of bandwidth per month for $7.95/month. Get a new host if bandwidth is an issue. It should never be an issue nowadays. Then you can host your stuff in a much nicer rez and not sell yourself short with crap Youtube type resolution.

What is your target file size?

TH - Its a Panasonic 3CCD GS model, can't remember the exact #, about 3 years old, DV not HDV. It does pretty well and is compact but I think I will be upgrading next year.

Who do you host with? I probably do need to switch as I just looked and I am only good for 5000 megs/month.

Kidwoo - thanks man and nice vid. Whats the file size on that? I'll have to try to those settings.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    TH - Its a Panasonic 3CCD GS model, can't remember the exact #, about 3 years old, DV not HDV. It does pretty well and is compact but I think I will be upgrading next year.

Who do you host with? I probably do need to switch as I just looked and I am only good for 5000 megs/month.

Kidwoo - thanks man and nice vid. Whats the file size on that? I'll have to try to those settings.
    Ipowerweb. Good customer service, decent download rates, good stability. They constantly upgrade their bandwidth. Mine just doubled to 6,000GB, not 6,000mb.

Switch. Bandwidth should never be an issue anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    42meg.

I just looked at your youtube upload (couldn't look at it while at work). Listen to trackhead

Also, it does look interlaced so don't forget that deinterlace step, regardless of what codec you use.

I just got CS3 in the mail today, so I'll be screwing around with that tonight trying to find a new preset. I'll let you know if I come up with anything worthy.

edit: hmm.....looks like CS3 doesn't play nicely with projects created with 1.5......fun times ahead.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 01-08-2008 at 08:49 PM.

What are you looking to do w/the vid? Share the files via ftp or server (ala Trackhead) or upload to youtube/attach as e-mail files... I love TH's vid quality, but hate waiting for the long 70MB+ download times.

I would get the DiVX converter, set it for whatever bitrate is necessary for your end-use (nobody expects HQ video in a little comp. window) and have at it. You can also get AVS Media's video converter (part of their Video tools bundle) to crunch it into everything from .mpeg to .wmv to .swf files for sharing. It seems it's on sale, too.

I'll definitetly check that deinterlace option out, I would guess that is what the "liney/pixel" stuff is? And I hear ya on the youtube crap, thats what it is.

I'd like to be able to share the good quality that I see at home with the masses. But i fear breaking the bandwidth bank with my host. I am in the midst of a pissing match with them now and will probably be jumping ship to another host (thanks for the recommendation Trackhead, they look solid). I'm currently with mewebhost.com

For the windows media (what I use most)

File>export>adobe media encoder>

I started with the WM9 720 30p preset and then changed some things.

Click on 'video' on the left side of the window under 'summary'
    You'll get a 'Video Codec Settings' pulldown: pick Windows Media Video 9
    Under bitrate settings, click 'two' and for bitrate mode: 'Variable Unconstrained'

Click on 'audio on the left side of the window under 'summary'
    Choose 'Windows Media Audio 9.2'
    Again pick two encoding passes and 'variable unconstrained'

Now before you're done click on 'pre encoding tasks'
    Pull down the 'deinterlace' option and click on it.
    You'll get another pulldown that shows up with 3 options. Pick either upper or lower (it doesn't matter which), or if you know you've got a camera that shoots in progressive mode, you can skip this step. Most video cameras shoot interlaced footage which is basically designed for a television. Look up video interlacing if you want to know more.
    This is the hot ticket, that helped a ton. The only thing I changed from your settings was to increase the bitrate to 1500. It was set to 256, that seemed to improve the quality drastically. Good idea?

Check out and see what you think. I wanted to be in the ~50 range but still have decent quality.

http://www.stepping-up.net/Videos/WebLolo.wmv

That looks good!

Better than youtube

But yeah a 1500 bitrate is still pretty low. I didn't specify a bitrate because I forgot but I definitely don't use 256.

What kind of camera are you using?

That looks good!

Better than youtube

But yeah a 1500 bitrate is still pretty low. I didn't specify a bitrate because I forgot but I definitely don't use 256.

What kind of camera are you using?
    Good to know on the bitrate, what would you recommend? Is there such thing as too much bitrate? Or more a function of your camera?

I'm using a Panasonic PV-GS150, its about 3 years old. Will probably be upgrading next year.

How you liking the upgrade kidwoo? Got any sweet new presets for export you want to share?

Learning how to play with my new camera at the moment.

The next step being of course to find some wonderful compression setup post premiere export.

I'll get back to you if I find anything worth repeating.