Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I own the DVD but haven't watched it for some reason in like 2 years. Watched it t'other day Glawdhafmerthy that movie rules.

this time thought I did notice that there constantly seems to be two kind of people.

those that come in the door and those that come in the window
    those whose spurs make noise and those whose don't
    those who carry a gun and those that dig
    those with their neck in a noose and those who do the cutting

I know there are more....

also, anyone else notice how the actor's speech doesn't match the movement of their lips? bad dubbing or....something.

for a few dollars more is cool, unforgiven is cool...but for me the best western out there is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

One of my favorite movies ever. Such an epic.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    ...also, anyone else notice how the actor's speech doesn't match the movement of their lips? bad dubbing or....something.
    The actors spoke in their native language and were dubbed into other languages for each market.
    Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach spoke in English, and were dubbed in Italian for the debut release in Rome. For the American version, their voices were left alone, and the other cast members were dubbed into English.
    Good runs when you get them.

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    The actors spoke in their native language and were dubbed into other languages for each market.
    Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach spoke in English, and were dubbed in Italian for the debut release in Rome. For the American version, their voices were left alone, and the other cast members were dubbed into English.
    oh. makes sense
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

This movie rules beyond anything else. Clint rules. Eli Wallach does a fabulous job as Tuco.

One of my favorite quotes: "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Thumbs up

Great flick. I have to throw a nod to "The Outlaw Josie Wales," too. And I just watched "Magnum Force" last week. Classic! "A man's got to know his limitations."
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I took an Italian Film class in college, Spaghetti Westerns are awesome and TGTB&TU is one of the best.

For my money "the Outlaw Josey Wales" is still the best Western ever made.
    "Now Spit."

What are the friggin odds of that Rev. I post 1 minute after you.

Great minds think alike I guess. Not to insult you or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    this time thought I did notice that there constantly seems to be two kind of people.

those that come in the door and those that come in the window
    those whose spurs make noise and those whose don't
    those who carry a gun and those that dig
    those with their neck in a noose and those who do the cutting

isn't that like 8 kinds of people?

i humbly suggest watching The Wild Bunch again, too. That is perhaps my all-time favorite Western.

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Very partial to High Plains Drifter... myself.

Oh yeah, "High Plains Drifter," great flick. It's almost more of a horror film or psychological thriller though, nah, it's still a great Western.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    There's a lot of dubbing in those movies of even the American actors voices. I'm sure it had to do with the elements and lack of decent equipment. Sergio Leone also like to play with the lens setups a lot (lots of close, wide shots and far, narrow shots), so micing the actors wasn't always an option. Along the lines of what Tom said, most of the small parts were played by local Italians who didn't speak English anyway, so it's not even their voices you may be hearing.

If you watch the other "Man With No Name" flicks (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More) you'll notice a lot of the same actors playing different rolls in each movie: Tuco's brother in Good, Bad, Ugly is a henchman in Few Dollars More; Corporal Wallace in Good, Bad, Ugly is Nino in For a Few Dollars More. They also changed a lot of the Italian actors' screen names to sound more American.

We had a chance to screen Good, Bad, Ugly on widescreen when I was in film school and it is amazing. If you ever have a chance to see any of the trilogy on widescreen (or even a standard screen), do it.
    Last edited by SponsoredByDuctTape; 12-29-2007 at 01:28 AM.

incidently, the only film class i took in college was History of Western Film.

in my neo-hipster mentality at the time I envisioned the class would be a study of Warhol's "experimental" films (i.e. New York being the cultural epicenter of the West and all).

when i got to the class first day it was filled with Aggies (cowboys wearing Stetsons and silver belt buckles...I went to Cal Poly, SLO, which is a pretty large agriculture school). i sat in the back of the class and quietly laughed to myself how these Wrangler wearing dudes were gonna be totally freaked out when the instructor came in and started talking about Western made art films.

imagine the joke on me when he came in and said "This is the History of Western Film, as in cowboys and indians..."

DOH!

At any rate he posted up the list of films we were going to watch and then mentioned that the core focus of the class was going to be on the works of Sam Pekinpah.

The first question asked by somebody in the class was why weren't we going to watch the Clint Eastwood films?

The professors remarked that undoubtedly we'd all seen every Clint western as they were popular late night fare. He did a casual poll to see how many of us had seen the various Clint flicks (GBU, Fist, Hang, etc). Pretty much everybody in class had seen those films at least once. When he asked how many of us had seen the films he was planning to show in class the numbers were quite a lot less.

At any rate we watched High Noon, Oxbow Incident, and a few other classic b/w's then went full bore into Peckinpah.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

This, and "Dirty Harry", are my two favorite Eastwood movies.

Quote: "You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Eli Wallach was great as Tuco. He wasn't even the first choice for the role; Charles Bronson was.
    Bronson is one of the great "little spoken word" western actors of all-time. His role (Harmonica) in "Once upon a time in the West" is CLASSIC!
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 12-29-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I have a copy of Once Upon A Time in the West. I may have to watch that again today!

Two of my all time favorite movies and guilty pleasures are Jeremiah Johnson and "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (the latter being my fave movie of all time.)

I love the cinematography of Jeremiah Johnson. Campy. Cliche and trie, but damn fun!
    "If it had taken any effort I wouldn't have done it at all. I mean it. I wouldn't have done anything" - B. Kelso

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Agreed. My favorite Clint flick. The color is fucking awesome.

for a few dollars more is cool, unforgiven is cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Yeah...I love that song. "Cause I'm a high...high, plains...plains, drifta...drifta
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

"Wanted in 15 counties of this state, the condemned standing before us - sitting before us - Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez has been found guilty by the Third District Circuit Court of the following crimes:

murder;
    armed robbery of citizens,
    state banks and post offices;
    the theft of sacred objects;
    arson in a state prison;
    perjury;
    bigamy;
    deserting his wife and children;
    inciting prostitution;
    kidnapping;
    extortion;
    receiving stolen goods;
    selling stolen goods;
    passing counterfeit money;
    and contrary to the laws of this state the condemned is guilty of using marked cards...

furthermore he is guilty of:

assaulting a Justice of the Peace;
    raping a virgin of the White race, and statutory rape of a minor of the Black race;
    of derailing of trains in order to rob the passengers;
    robbery;
    highway robbery;
    robbing an unknown number of post offices;
    breaking out of a jail;
    catching and selling fugitive slaves;
    setting fire to a wagon train;
    supplying a hundred rounds to a Sioux Indian;
    drawing a salary and allowance from the Union Army;
    and mis-representing himself as a Mexican general...

Of all these crimes the accused has made a full, spontaneous confession. Therefore we condemn him to be hung by the neck until dead.

May the Lord have mercy on his soul.

Proceed."