removing old skin glue from bases

So im borrowing soul_skiers skins and pocket rockets with naxo's for my trip to jackson in 2 weeks.
    These skins are old but work still. The problem is that the adhesive leaves a sticky pine sap like residue on the bases of the skis. This sucks, especially if im going to need to slide my skis on say, snow.

how do i remove the residue without killing my bases?
    Live

I always used to use white gas/Coleman fuel to clean old klister wax off of skis.

Now that i think about it, that was about as smart as using toluene/xylene without gloves, but it sure got the sticky crap off!
    Swix citrus solvent base cleaner:
    http://www.swixsport.com/eway/defaul...0:6118:8:::0:0
    might be a little more enviro-friendly, not sure if it works or not tho lol.

Might consider re-glueing the skins too i spose...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Swix citrus solvent base cleaner:
    might be a little more enviro-friendly, not sure if it works or not tho lol.
    And according to Coombs, you could put it on your salad.

Might consider re-glueing the skins too i spose...
    I would probably start with a good hot wax on the bases. That might keep the glue from sticking.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

I'd try the citrus base cleaner then do a hot wax, scrape the wax while it is still hot (but not puddly/shiny wet) say about 2 minutes after applying hot wax. This is a method for cleaning bases. You may want to do that twice, then a hot wax, dry scrape.

But you cannot do that at the top of the climb, so if the citrus works bring some with you or you may want to try some other skins...
    "Why do I always get more kisses on powder days?" -my wife

Quote Originally Posted by cold_smoke View Post
    I'd try the citrus base cleaner then do a hot wax, scrape the wax while it is still hot (but not puddly/shiny wet) say about 2 minutes after applying hot wax. This is a method for cleaning bases.
    Ah, the old 'floating the bases', smart.....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

is that citrus stuff the same/similar to goof off or any similar solvent? these wont ruin the bases?
    Im just looking to clean these things enough to slide.
    If I put them on my skis when i borrow trekkers, Ill want to remove the adhesive without taking off the wax. As I will be at a friends apt and wont have my tuning supplies with me. Plus I dont want to wax every day

If they were mine, and my only ones id reglue them, but im borrowing them and I dont think theyre soul's primary set
    Live

bump, is there any generic, non expensive non ski specific solvent that wont kill my skis?
    Live

I had the same problem early this season. I scraped the summer wax of my skis last june for one last day, didn't put it back on. My first day on snow was a 4 hour slog up blackcomb in wet snow. The glue predictably stayed on the bases. I did more or less what cold smoke suggests and it worked just fine. My skis were rockets afterwards. I used the Swix base cleaner, one wax scraped off while soft, a second wax scraped when hard and textured the bases with a brush.

To answer your second question, goof off should probably be fine. It's heavy on the d-limonene like base cleaner. If you do two waxes, you should be able to float off any corrosive residues.