Page 291 of 294 FirstFirst ... 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 LastLast
Results 7,251 to 7,275 of 7328
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    So you're saying the light was flat....
    Wait, are there other kinds of light? Also you and adrenalated don't count.

TFRMNP and N1CK, if you see some dude on Moments with a teal helmet ask for change. Would be great to share some laps!

Sent from my SM-G988U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Well yesterday I skied weird refrozen and possibly rainfucked leftovers with most of Oklahoma.
    There's skiing in Oklahoma? Learn something new each day I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    There's skiing in Oklahoma? Learn something new each day I guess.
    Spring break bruh

Quote Originally Posted by rocca View Post
    Wait, are there other kinds of light? Also you and adrenalated don't count.

TFRMNP and N1CK, if you see some dude on Moments with a teal helmet ask for change. Would be great to share some laps!

Did I catch the last seat in the Ridge cat with you & then follow you down velvet hammer on Sunday?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    stay outta my line

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Glorious today, for sure.
    Sorry I missed ya up there! We should link up.

stay outta my line

Quote Originally Posted by TransplantedFromRMNP View Post
    Did I catch the last seat in the Ridge cat with you & then follow you down velvet hammer on Sunday?

Nope, sounds nice though!

I was at Loveland last Saturday and late in the day I saw this woman absolutely charging down the groomer. Full race stance, tipping hard, riding the edges, and driving her hips close to the slope. I caught up with her in the lift line and saw she was probably in her late 50s or 60s.

Wild.

I haven’t seen many less than half her age ski half as good as her. Pretty badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
    I was at Loveland last Saturday and late in the day I saw this woman absolutely charging down the groomer. Full race stance, tipping hard, riding the edges, and driving her hips close to the slope. I caught up with her in the lift line and saw she was probably in her late 50s or 60s.

Wild.

I haven’t seen many less than half her age ski half as good as her. Pretty badass.
    Need photos....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I may be skiing at Loveland on Saturday. Are folks selling 4 pack leftovers in the parking lot yet?

Any rumors on closing day yet?

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Any rumors on closing day yet?
    Rumors??

It’s May 7th. They always close the Sunday of the first full weekend in May.

Thanks. Guess I never realized that but makes sense. Last I looked at their site it just said early May. Was hoping they might extend it.

Do you know why they base it on that? FS lease? Just cuz, etc?

Man when tunnel face has a decent snowpack like it does now I always laugh that they rope it off the way they do. It was so friggin good monday and not even gnarly anymore. Obviously people just ski it, even patrol, but just one of those wimpy loveland things like the conservative way they get that mtn open all season.

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Do you know why they base it on that? FS lease? Just cuz, etc?
    Operating in May is operating at a loss. There are only so many skiers still going to populate ski areas. Those who end up at Loveland are on season passes, already bought 4 packs, and are drinking parking lot beers and grilling. They aren't buying day passes, they are buying rentals, they aren't taking lessons.

Deciding on the first week of May gives everyone predictability. Staff is incentivized to stay for end-of-season bonus. Folks know when closing day celebrations are.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Operating in May is operating at a loss. There are only so many skiers still going to populate ski areas. Those who end up at Loveland are on season passes, already bought 4 packs, and are drinking parking lot beers and grilling. They aren't buying day passes, they are buying rentals, they aren't taking lessons.
    This is the conventional wisdom that has always been given about any resort that closes while the skiing is great. I'm genuinely curious why some resorts are now routinely extending closure dates, or -- like Winter Park -- saying "we're going to stay open as long as there is skiing", a space that used to just be ABasin (at least for the front range resorts). What changed for those places? Did the economics change? If so, why hasn't it changed for Loveland?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    This is the conventional wisdom that has always been given about any resort that closes while the skiing is great. I'm genuinely curious why some resorts are now routinely extending closure dates, or -- like Winter Park -- saying "we're going to stay open as long as there is skiing", a space that used to just be ABasin (at least for the front range resorts). What changed for those places? Did the economics change? If so, why hasn't it changed for Loveland?
    I believe most Ikon pass resorts get a $ per skier day at said resort from Alterra. That makes the pass economics very different than Loveland which isn't on a mega pass. Not a lot of Powder Alliance redemptions going to come in May.

Alterra and Vail also have the incentive to use extended seasons as a loss leader to sell their product and compete against the other. They don't have to operate all their ski areas in a catchment, just part of one (e.g. upper mtn at Breck or Mary Jane).

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    While this is the conventional wisdom, I believe the Loveland thing has to do with the FS lease and the fact that it is the largest wildlife corridor along and across I-70.

At least that's what I heard once, and it sort of makes sense.

Still sucks they close every year with pretty much the most base they've had all year.

I've never heard jack about a FS requirement in many seasons of being in the patrol room. Race training stays active well after public close.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Race training stays active well after public close.
    yeah, this.

I have been told that it is a function of the want to provide staff with a reliable end-date so that they can plan their off-season.

Loveland is an important wildlife corridor in the summer, but I certainly have not seen big game up there while there is still a ton of snow on the ground.

All the resorts love to go with the "wildlife corridor" excuse mostly because nobody can fact check them on it since the FS leases aren't public.

Regardless, animals migrate based on weather an conditions, not what day the calendar says. And there ain't no fucking big game moving through when there's still 5ft of snow on the ground. So regardless of what the lease says, if the ski areas wanted to contact their FS offices and say "yo there's five feet of snow on the ground and no fucking elk can we stay open another couple weeks?" I'd imagine they'd generally get approval.

They close because of money. That's it. Which is fair, they're a business, but it sucks when you're a skier.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ... excuse mostly because nobody can fact check them on it since the FS leases aren't public.....
    I was curious so I FOIA'd the first 500pages of FS permits a few years ago. (You have to pay for anything past the first 500). They redact earnings information but most of the content is there. A couple of places in CO had some restrictions on where/how to operate at certain times, but none had mandatory closures.

Loveland tomorrow?

Anyone have an extra 4 pack day(s) they don’t think they’ll use and want to sell?

I see the Corn Harvest is on the books for April 29, but don't see any way to get tickets through Loveland or Friends of CAIC. Eventbrite.com has tickets available with a $8 service fee, but WTF is Eventbrite.com? Is this a reliable outfit or will they be drinking my beer, eating my bbq, wearing my Hawaiin lei and winning raffles with my tickets?

eventbrite is totally legit. in the past you can pay/donate/raffle on site the morning of.