Page 236 of 294 FirstFirst ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 7329
    Quote Originally Posted by Banquo View Post
    That was me - what an amazing day!
    Skied the shit out of West Ropes with N1CK. that day... real fun. Was it the Most Raddest Über Gnär Shit Evär? Gnope. But it sure was fun.

Headed over to Luv solo to ski some skis this afternoon. Red jacket, orange-ish pantalones, bumblejacket-ass Soul 7s. Say hi, ask for change, buy me a beer, but Jesus Titty Fucking Christ don't complain to me about bootlicking the fucking Ridge if any of you clowns are up there.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

You guys are a special breed...

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Should have clarified...nearing it's close for the 15/16 season.
    I respectfully disagree even with that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Lift 9 is OPEN!!!! Serving no less than 400 lateral feet of 32 degree above tree line snooze fest! Luckily, you can actually catch a nap on the 35 minute ride up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I'll put this here for those that care.

An overview of Aspen Highland avalanche mitigation program in the bowl. It is expensive and effective.

http://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-scie...04-661-665.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I'll put this here for those that care.

An overview of Aspen Highland avalanche mitigation program in the bowl. It is expensive and effective.

Everyone should read this article, Loveland skier or not. If someone starts a non bombastic, non slanderous thread on possible boot packing at Loveland, I will chime in. Until then, Chair 1 is skiing well.

The link here doesn't work, but works in the CO Weather thread. Here is a working link:

Not a flake on the snow stake or in the forecast. Who's shralping the styrofoam with me tomorrow?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The link here doesn't work, but works in the CO Weather thread. Here is a working link:

very interesting. Loveland should write an academic paper to explain their management philosophy on the ridge.

This paper illustrates what I think Loveland should do. I'm sure they could recruit volunteers to help patrol boot pack and track out snow in the early season. I think they do that at Copper as well?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    This paper illustrates what I think Loveland should do. I'm sure they could recruit volunteers to help patrol boot pack and track out snow in the early season. I think they do that at Copper as well?
    Copper, Highlands, and Silverton all have volunteer bootlicking programs in exchange for free passes or tickets. Maybe others that I don't know about.

Lulz at the retarded opinions about boot packing super bowl? hahahahahahahaha
    Fucking internet experts who clearly and never skied or even looked at the ridge terrain at Loveland. holy fucking gapers man.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

^^^
    As you know, I've got no dog in this fight. Arguing which ski resort within two hours of Brown Town is the most rad is pissing up a rope. And I live here. I ski Loveland now and then mostly to hang out with my friends. Yes, I'm familiar (not an expert) with the ridge.

Feasability of packing the ridge is a function of $. I have no idea if Loveland has it or not. In 2004, Highlands claims 1500 hours of paid labor for 120 acres in the bowl. Plus volunteer packers who were compensated.

Do some math for the Ridge which appears much larger (guessing) and that's some pretty serious $. My point is, "it can be done" is an absolute. "It's not worth the $" is an opinion.

Yes, it would be difficult. Yes, it would cost a lot of money. No, not all ski areas insurance carriers and risk management plans support volunteer boot packing.

But to say it's not feasible in front of some pretty strong data that various methods of early season compaction are pretty successful and various ski area with similar terrain is similar snow packs is false.

Super Bowl, the most often used example, can not be boot packed, if you know the terrain, you'll know why, maybe 100 yards on one side of it, but that does not mitigate anything . Stupidest proposition ever.

patrol bowl is too small to matter, the rest of the ridge is either not steep enough, or too big and spread out to make any difference. It all slides at one time or another.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Super Bowl, the most often used example, can not be boot packed, if you know the terrain, you'll know why.
    Why don't you grace us with your superior avalanche mitigation knowledge and explain why, because a lot of well respected and educated people in here beg to differ...

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Why don't you grace us with your superior avalanche mitigation knowledge and explain why, because a lot of well respected and educated people in here beg to differ...
    in here? haha, the internet is funny.

Super Bowl goes big every year, a few times a year and more. Again, if you don't know that very specific small area or why it goes so big, you are talking out your asshole.
    Terje was right.

in here? haha, the internet is funny.

Super Bowl goes big every year, a few times a year and more. Again, if you don't know that very specific small area or why it goes so big, you are talking out your asshole.
    Well Summit is a respected avalanche expert (level 3 certified) and is actually an avalanche safety instructor AFAIK.

Super bowl slides big every year these days due to the lack of early season compaction or mitigation of any kind. You are using this as an argument that early season bootpacking would not work in that area? Are you really this dumb?

Prior to a few years ago, patrol generally cleared major instabilities at the base of the snowpack with explosives prior to giant 6-foot+ hard slabs developing on top of them. Obviously, bootpacking or using other methods to compact the snow would be even more effective, but they should at least do SOMETHING. The past few years, they have waited until about mid-december at the earliest (after giant, deep persistent slabs have formed) to do any control work on the vast majority of the ridge, besides maybe Patrol Bowl.

Fact of the matter is that Super Bowl never used to slide to the ground in the way that is does now every year.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Not a flake on the snow stake or in the forecast. Who's shralping the styrofoam with me tomorrow?
    Probably headed up for the afternoon again... the styrofoam was craptastic yesterday and visibility was less than stellar. Looks to be even worse today, can't fucking wait!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

yeah, saying boot packing will work, when you are missing the point that this particular terrain is just not suitable for boot packing, is the "dumb" part (your word).

What actually slides in Super bowl is the MASSIVE building cornice at the top, and it takes with it all the snow on the mega steep part of the small bowl, which is what you see now. All the snow on the sides of this mega steep small cliff area, does actually get compaction, when they are able to open it and leave the slide area until it gets enough snow.

Please, someone mention the winch attached to the snow-cat again, for Super Bowl...please.....the lulz are spectacular.

I feel like no one ever really looks up to the terrain in these stupid arguments, they just arm chair from a computer, or their map.

No one will argue the past few years have been different on the ridge in regards to snow events, but to armchair this, as if the Ridge is the same as anywhere else, is the dumb part.

Primer Bowl went biggish yesterday too.
    Terje was right.

yeah, saying boot packing will work, when you are missing the point that this particular terrain is just not suitable for boot packing, is the "dumb" part (your word).

What actually slides in Super bowl is the MASSIVE building cornice at the top, and it takes with it all the snow on the mega steep part of the small bowl, which is what you see now. All the snow on the sides of this mega steep small cliff area, does actually get compaction, when they are able to open it and leave the slide area until it gets enough snow.

Please, someone mention the winch attached to the snow-cat again, for Super Bowl...please.....the lulz are spectacular.

I feel like no one ever really looks up to the terrain in these stupid arguments, they just arm chair from a computer, or their map.

No one will argue the past few years have been different on the ridge in regards to snow events, but to armchair this, as if the Ridge is the same as anywhere else, is the dumb part.

Primer Bowl went biggish yesterday too.
    cornice fall wouldn't cause the entire face to slide to the ground if the deep instabilities were mitigated prior to the cornice fall.

I would argue that the past few years have NOT been markedly different than years prior with regard to snow events. This all has to do with a significant shift in the way the terrain is managed early season. They used to be able to manage their terrain on the ridge appropriately even without bootpacking, but it requires active control work early in the season. They just don't do that anymore.

By the way, if you think any part of super bowl is "mega steep" (your words), you need to get out more.

A-Basin patrol was chopping cornices at the top of Zuma several years ago.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Loveland is closed for the season until further notice.

Gaper central
    Terje was right.

^^^ Since, you deleted your post, does that mean you're retracting your claim that Super Bowl is 50 degrees?

Cause that shit was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ^^^ Since, you deleted your post, does that mean you're retracting your claim that Super Bowl is 50 degrees?

Cause that shit was funny.

No, it is about 50 degrees. everything on the sides is not though.... still, not manageable in the same way or comparable to Zuma...which is also funny.

next pow day i never miss, Ill measure for you.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    cornice fall wouldn't cause the entire face to slide to the ground if the deep instabilities were mitigated prior to the cornice fall.

I would argue that the past few years have NOT been markedly different than years prior with regard to snow events. This all has to do with a significant shift in the way the terrain is managed early season. They used to be able to manage their terrain on the ridge appropriately even without bootpacking, but it requires active control work early in the season. They just don't do that anymore.

By the way, if you think any part of super bowl is "mega steep" (your words), you need to get out more.
    There was not enough snow below the cornice to manage, until now. sounds like you are pro, you go up there and cut those cornices this early, that far up on the way to the top of wild child, yeah, go for it dude.

The top of the middle gut of super bowl is like 50 degrees, so yeah, it is mega steep compared with the 30 or so everywhere else.
    Terje was right.