Page 234 of 293 FirstFirst ... 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast
Results 5,826 to 5,850 of 7323
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    If they're too busy to control the terrain they have, they need more people.
    See, you guys love that down home, small ski area feel with cheap tickets and passes, but you want more patrollers to maintain that terrain. Surely that doesn't cost money. The reality is that LL is a small ski area with a shit load of terrain, which also happens to be prime avalanche terrain spanning along a few miles of the continental divide.

Loveland hasn't had a small-area feel or cheap passes for years. $389 was the early season price this year, and even a few seasons ago the parking lots filled up on weekdays.

The obvious solution is to just not bother with the ridge in the first place, since it's just three turns to flat.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Bean, Loveland employees have been trained to respond to douchebags like you, "if you don't like it, leave". Seriously, I have heard patrol tell numerous people this, and someone working in guest services say that to another gaper asshole skier like you complaining.

Go ride Loveland pass if you are so fucking core.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

u mad
    Nope, just laughing at retards like you, bitching because you should have went to A-basin.

seriously, everyone is doing it, so should you. stop fucking with our vibe at Loveland, Zuma went, with customers on the slab....go there if you want more thrills.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    See, you guys love that down home, small ski area feel with cheap tickets and passes, but you want more patrollers to maintain that terrain. Surely that doesn't cost money. The reality is that LL is a small ski area with a shit load of terrain, which also happens to be prime avalanche terrain spanning along a few miles of the continental divide.
    They don't need more patrollers. They need different patrollers that do their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    They don't need more patrollers. They need different patrollers that do their jobs.
    Huh? You just want more terrain and they are not offering it.

I am up there 4-6 days a week and see them "doing their job" just fine.

As the patrollers and staff at Loveland have been instructed to say towards critique "Go somewhere else".
    Terje was right.

It does help with persistent weak layers at the base of the snowpack though. This time it was a cornice fall in the middle of the night (can't really blame patrol for that) that triggered a persistent slab at the ground (which I'm happy to blame patrol for). Yes, it's difficult terrain, but it's not the only place in the state with similar. Somehow we don't see reports like this coming out from Highlands year after year after year.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    ^ sure does. But massive wind loading at 12k isn't going to be remedied by bootpacking
    But we're not just looking at storm slabs ripping out. Once again, LL patrol has let things on the ridge get to the point where it's ripping out at the ground. Proper early-season control work would have made this slide not particularly noteworthy, instead it indicates they haven't made any changes despite the ridge ripping to the ground over and over.
    I agree bean. Just saying that no amount of early season boot packing will stop suspect slopes from sliding when big totals or wind stack up . The severity can be mitigated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That's the entire goal... And timing
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Who is going to bootpack the entire Ridge? LL has 10 times the area of Highlands but 1/20 the number of skiers and patrollers. You guys love the Luv for the same reasons that you hate it. It is like this every year but you keep buying passes and skiing there and playing urban avalanche expert.
    Urban Avalanche experts, agreed, armchair assholes more like it.....

WTF?

Please, shut the fuck up. Besides being ignorant about the size of acreage throwing concern and question into a science that is far from perfect, you are focusing on the wrong things in safe management. Your selfish intent is becoming tiresome and dangerous. Just because the old guy is close to retirement, does not mean you can put all of our lives in danger because "you" think you are right.

fucking assholes.
    Terje was right.

Some credit due to Loveland, at least people haven't gone for rides or been killed inbounds yet.
    I went for a ride on lower OTR right at tree-line in '09. IIRC that was a crap early season, and it was the first day OTR was open for the season in early Feb. 2' crown, maybe 100' wide, and only ran to just above the bench before the final pitch, but pretty sobering on "controlled" IB terrain, and could have done some damage if the edge I was on hadn't broken up and deposited me on the rocks almost immediately. Also pretty sure it had been thoroughly bootpacked/side-stepped prior to the final storm or two that provided enough cover to open.

It's not every day that I find myself in agreement with Das Cunt, but really; everyone here knows the deal. Loveland's not listening, and if it bothers you that much, go wherever you think you'd be happier/safer/corer.

Maestro; some graduation music please?

Oh yeah, $389 ($369 for returning customers) is chump change compared to the $1100+ for most of the bigger NE resorts. CO skiers have no idea how good they have it when it comes to pass prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

"High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

See? He's boot packing right there!

Found a helmet and googles in dry gulch. Send me a PM with a gear description and they're yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    I went for a ride on lower OTR right at tree-line in '09. IIRC that was a crap early season, and it was the first day OTR was open for the season in early Feb. 2' crown, maybe 100' wide, and only ran to just above the bench before the final pitch, but pretty sobering on "controlled" IB terrain, and could have done some damage if the edge I was on hadn't broken up and deposited me on the rocks almost immediately. Also pretty sure it had been thoroughly bootpacked/side-stepped prior to the final storm or two that provided enough cover to open.

It's not every day that I find myself in agreement with Das Cunt, but really; everyone here knows the deal. Loveland's not listening, and if it bothers you that much, go wherever you think you'd be happier/safer/corer.

Maestro; some graduation music please?

Oh yeah, $389 ($369 for returning customers) is chump change compared to the $1100+ for most of the bigger NE resorts. CO skiers have no idea how good they have it when it comes to pass prices.
    Pretty much this. I think it's so funny this gets hashed over and over every season like its a new thing. Repeat...If you dont like it leave.

Aw shit, you guys are paying $389 to ski Loveland?!?!?!

^ right? you can ski AB with no blackouts for $260 if you buy for two years. Pretty sure that's gets you an unguided day at Silverton and three days at Taos each season. If you weren't a pass holder already, you could actually get the last two + months of '16, '17, and '18 for $519.

If you buy a LL pass that's good through spring of '18, what are the chances THE RIDGE will be open before your pass expires?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    ^
    If you buy a LL pass that's good through spring of '18, what are the chances THE RIDGE will be open before your pass expires?
    um, a hell of a lot better than the chances for East Wall.

To me, A-Basin would be a hell of a lot more attractive if it weren't included in the Gapic pass. In a perfect world, A-Basin would be a stand-alone, or a $200 upgrade to the Loveland Pass. If A-Basin were a stand-alone, they'd likely have to raise their pass price by $100 anyway, so the deal could be reciprocal.

What's an epic local, $600ish? Granted there's more options with the epic local, but having done both, and being a lazy fuck living in Georgetown, I rarely took advantage of the other options West of A-Basin. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    um, a hell of a lot better than the chances for East Wall.

To me, A-Basin would be a hell of a lot more attractive if it weren't included in the Gapic pass. In a perfect world, A-Basin would be a stand-alone, or a $200 upgrade to the Loveland Pass. If A-Basin were a stand-alone, they'd likely have to raise their pass price by $100 anyway, so the deal could be reciprocal.

What's an epic local, $600ish? Granted there's more options with the epic local, but having done both, and being a lazy fuck living in Georgetown, I rarely took advantage of the other options West of A-Basin. YMMV
    There isn't anything at loveland that even vaguely resembles the east wall. Don't be a retard. Everyone knows the EW doesn't open until early spring, and it does so like clockwork, thanks to the efforts of the ABSP. The ridge isn't even as steep and not nearly as sustained as the Pali, which always opens by Christmas and remains open the entire season, reopening within hours of big storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

There isn't anything at loveland that even vaguely resembles the east wall. Don't be a retard. Everyone knows the EW doesn't open until early spring, and it does so like clockwork, thanks to the efforts of the ABSP. The ridge isn't even as steep and not nearly as sustained as the Pali, which always opens by Christmas and remains open the entire season, reopening within hours of big storms.
    Clearly A-Basin is superior to Loveland in every way, which is exactly why everyone should just fuck off and ski A-Basin exclusively. Sounds like you've reached that conclusion, and yet here you are still cunting up a thread about a mountain you don't ski.

Way to bring the stoke! You da man!

Loveland, Eldora, and Sol Vista were the only front range resorts to survive the season pass wars of the 90s while remaining independent. OK maybe Eldora doesn't have that distinction anymore. Many others closed. Many other planned resorts never opened.

If pass prices rose here, and perhaps they will because they've been on a steady march upwards since the mergers and consolidations finished in the early 2000s, we could see closed resorts reopen... except for the namby pamby envirowhackos who would chain themselves to bullwheels to stop such happenings. The same assholes who saw the BP lodge razed.

That is admirable. The fact that passes are more expensive in other states does NOT matter. It is still reasonable for customers to examine product and skiers to shout for the best! Das Blunt can live in his world where he can like what he gets and never question it, but nobody is trying to get anyone killed.

To be fair, just as the Ridge does not compare to the EW, Pali does not compare to the Ridge in terms of managing avalanche hazard. Ridge is entirely above treeline for starters.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

This soap opera is like the Magic thread....with snow

"No one goes to Loveland anymore, its too crowded."
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

It does help with persistent weak layers at the base of the snowpack though. This time it was a cornice fall in the middle of the night (can't really blame patrol for that) that triggered a persistent slab at the ground (which I'm happy to blame patrol for). Yes, it's difficult terrain, but it's not the only place in the state with similar. Somehow we don't see reports like this coming out from Highlands year after year after year.
    ^ sure does. But massive wind loading at 12k isn't going to be remedied by bootpacking
    But we're not just looking at storm slabs ripping out. Once again, LL patrol has let things on the ridge get to the point where it's ripping out at the ground. Proper early-season control work would have made this slide not particularly noteworthy, instead it indicates they haven't made any changes despite the ridge ripping to the ground over and over.
    I agree bean. Just saying that no amount of early season boot packing will stop suspect slopes from sliding when big totals or wind stack up . The severity can be mitigated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That's the entire goal... And timing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    "No one goes to Loveland anymore, its too crowded."
    Another great quote to add to the assholes here....fucking shit, you guys suck ass. Massive acreage spread out over and above treeline and the "experts" think they have it all figured out.

It all runs, regardless of bootlicking or control work, riding any of that that terrain is a risk, and patrol has to manage it. You guys second guessing terrain you are obviously not experts in, might force them to second guess their choices.

Obviously there are some pro patrollers here with axes to grind......very sad.
    Terje was right.

Honestly, I don't see many if any resorts catering their product or operation to a small but very vocal group of discontented internet jockeys. Bottom line; we don't pay the bills, and in many cases are a losing proposition.

Anyway, there's no harm trying to encourage your favorite bump's management to make improvements; I just don't see beating the same dead horse here year after year, and flaming them on their facebook page being a very effective approach.

How can Das Blunt ski with his panties bunched so tightly? The world wonders...
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

They're doing what they can, with what they have.

On a less-bitchey side note: was one of you yahoos skiing Loveland on xmas eve on wood grain Protests?

Probably the best thing to come out of this thread has been my awareness of how autocorrect changes bootpacking to bootlicking.