The List - what rivers ya gonna run

You know what I'm talking about, the runs you've been thinking about all winter. Maybe they're new challenging rivers, rivers that take some effort to get to, or just your classics.

Classics

Numbers section of the Ark - great class IV playboating in one of the most beautiful valleys in CO. Take-out at camp. Too bad we won't see big water.

Cross Mtn Gorge - If you know...you know. If not, hey you've got the internet.

Bailey - Yeh, transcontinental diversion suck, but the Blue's loss is my gain. Semi-wilderness creekin' an hour from home rules.

Gore - When everything else is dry, we've always got the Upper Colorado.

New Rivers

Encampment - Low volume wilderness run on the Wyoming border. Not to be missed this year.

Upper Animas - Never been. Supposed to be one of the best.

New Creeks

Lets see what happens. Class V is one thing, but I live in the heart of the bone zone. We'll see how much confidence I have in the new H3

Re: The List - what rivers ya gonna run

Nice thread Foggster. Why is it only you, Urbankayaker and myself in this forum. I find it hard to believe the other magg's don't boat. Anyway....

Classics

Gallatin - great run close to Bozeman, after work sessions no problem. When runoff starts kicking numerous play spots, but most are one shot and you're off. House Rock at 5k is

Boulder River (Hells Canyon) - Awesome remotish IV/V biggish volume river. Only ran it below 2k, thinking of checking it at a little higher.

Lochsa - Ahhh, can't wait for the annual Memorial trip. Big class IV and beautiful surf at Pipeline. Can also sneak in a 1/2 mile of IV on Fish Creek, lovely way to start the Lower run.

Yellowstone - The wave below Springdale, Mrs. Bubbles. At 20k its a river wide surf-a-torium. Cratons hole up near Gardiner = too. Top notch > http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/?photoid=6424

Madison - Excellent scenery, no roads, wilderness; 4 good rapids and ton's of play, Kitchen Sink class IV. & Quake Lake run - ripping class IV/V depending on level, only 1.5 miles, but its a sweet 1.5., check it http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/1013/

New Rivers

Flathead - good stuff

Yakk - IV, from what I hear it's one not to be missed.

Stillwater - Mr Bubbles here I come.

Kootenai
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 04-26-2004 at 11:20 PM.

A couple of photos

Kootenai Falls

Ouzel Falls - West fork of the Gallatin

Lochsa - Pipeline wave
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 04-26-2004 at 11:33 PM.

this years rivers..............

in 2004 already:

section 4 of chatooga

10+ runs on the Lower Big Sandy ( keep the water here so we ahve a good season on the sandy)

2 runs on the top yough, one at higher water

1 run on the upper yough

few park and play sessions on the potomac, shenandoa and lower yough.

2 runs on fikes creek

1 run on meadow creek

hoping to add more creeks to the list this week!!!!

planned runs for 2004:

green narrows
    upper and north fork blackwater
    ottawa
    tallulah
    and anything else that is running in between.

keeping my firdays open for the upper yough releases when everything else dries up (shooting for 20 runs this year)

Well lets see

Colorado this year
    Cross mtn (done, best class 4 playboat run I have ever been on)
    barrelsprings(done from below lower death)
    gore(maybe skills will be ready by fall)
    bailey(see above)
    Taylor canyon(maybe this week....)
    crystal mills falls(maybe ... if we get water this week)

East coast
    everything!!!!!!
    need boating partners, gonna be in central jersey for the summer but plan on WV and PA everyweekend, anyone want a class 4 boater to boat with drop me a line.

had my eye on
    Yough
    Lower gauley when it runs
    some class3-4 low volume creeks in central jersey and eastern PA
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't

Classics
    Yough- My favorite river, just grand! (HEY! I'm wearin the t-shirt now! awesome!)

Nantahala- NOC is def a rockin' scene. lots of cool boaters down there. Nice fast paced pushy cold run-off.

Wolf River- most of you have prob never heard of it, but its where I learned to paddle... Big Smokey Falls is a blast if you boof it just right!

Galatin- (sorry if I f'd up the spelling) did it once last year, and fell in love with it and the surrounding area... and that's why I'm going to MSU this fall.

New Rivers

Tsang-Po- hahaha just kidding, I want to see tomorrow

Pretty much anything I can afford to get to...
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

I'm a total rookie gaper jong when it comes to rafting, but fuck it - gotta learn sometime:

I'll be rafting the American at least a few times this summer - my bosses have a couple of rafts, some hard shells and tons of gear. Really want to get into the hardshell.

Annual (my fingers are crossed that it becomes annual) Rogue trip too. We missed out on Salmon passes.

Definitaly surprised that more maggs in nor cal don't raft. The American (if you can deal w/ the very, very, very high gaper factor) is convenient and a lot of fun. You can throw your thumb up and run the river all day.
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

Plans: Lots and lots more creekin' this year. step up to some 30' waterfalls hopefully.

--> Lochsa, Memorial Day weekend has been locked and confirmed. See you suckers out there.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

All these are Alaska runs, don't know if anyone else is from up here, if you aren't, you should come up and check out the scene. Easy access, no crowds, awesome water, and a reason to use that $800 drysuit.

Classics:
    Done Six Mile 5 times already this season, some awesome snowyaking down to the river still, IV/IV+ play run
    Ingram Creek, sweet waterfall run
    Cambell Creek, big low volume slides

New Runs:
    Goin out to the Alsek this fall to take a swing at the canyon
    Bunch of 1st descents right around Anchorage

Blurred Elevens Guest
    I'm a gaperish class 3 boater. I just started 3 years ago, and Shoshone is good enough for me. My favs are:

Gore creek in Vail

Green Mtn. Canyon (below Green Mtn.)

Browns Canyon

These spots challenge me enough....

Does anyone know what the name of the waterfall is right before the lower Yaugh? I know it is only allowed to be run once a year at this festival thing. I really really wanna hit it, it looks sick.
    I'm scared Poncho.

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

EDIT- found the name and a pic of the the falls... Now this may not work, I kinda really suck at putting these pics in here.
    Last edited by Urbankayaker; 05-04-2004 at 04:28 PM.
    I'm scared Poncho.

Ohiopyle Falls

Have you ever run Ohiopyle?
    I'm scared Poncho.

i have run the falls and done tons of paddling around ohiopyle. the falls are pretty straight up but there are other bigger better waterfalls around that are free and totally legal to run.

Originally posted by myles long
    i have run the falls and done tons of paddling around ohiopyle. the falls are pretty straight up but there are other bigger better waterfalls around that are free and totally legal to run.
    Such as?
    I'm scared Poncho.

all within an hour of ohiopyle or less............

wonder falls
    big splat ( both on the big sandy)

gluteal mash (north fork blackwater)

tygart valley falls (two waterfalls with several lines to run)

moats falls on the tygart

swallow falls and swallow tail on the top yough

all the waterfalls on laurel creek

the little water falls on indian creek

and many many many more............too many to list in fact.

Originally posted by FollowMe
    I'm a total rookie gaper jong when it comes to rafting, but fuck it - gotta learn sometime:
    A great way to get through your jong-ness quickly is to sign up with one of the "guide schools" that the rafting companies in coloma put on. there's lots of them, ranging in price from a couple hundred bucks to over 1000.

It'll teach you the proper way to do it, you'll learn the river, make boating more fun, and you can even get paid to do a few trips on the busy weekends, if you aren't a total kook (which is really HUGE fun).

if you're inerested let me know and I'll tell you who puts on a good one.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-20-2004 at 07:49 PM.