Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review: 187 Dynastar LP XXL

Here is a review of the 187 LP XXL.

Stats
    Skier - - 5'10", 180ish pounds
    Skis - 187 LP XXL mounted right on the line, PX 15 Binders
    Locations - Killington, Okemo, Attitash
    Conditions - Lots of EC pow, 3 inches of EC pow, Groomers
    Current and Previous Skis - Rossi Steeze, 186 Big Trouble (Sold), 186 LP, 175 Pro Trouble Makers

DAY 1-GROOMERS
    After hearing people whine that they were not able to get this ski to turn, I was expecting the same thing. However, I was quite surprised when I tookmy first run. Wherever I pointed the skis, they would go. They were very versatile, and would never slow down.

The skis really started to shine when skiing steeper terrain. Once you get these things up to speed, they are nuts.

DAY 2 - A GOOD AMOUNT OF POW
    Even better. The huge shovel would just plow through anything, and there was little tip dive. Even previous tracks where you would notice someone was having difficulty keeping their tips up, the XXL would have no difficulty.

DAY 2 - GLADES
    Yes, yes, and yes.

DAY 3 - LEFTOVER GOODS
    The skis cut through anything and make crud its little bitch.

DAY 4 - MORE POW

See day 2.

DAY 5 - SOME BUMPS
    These skis can get through the bumps, but not the more technical lines. Of course, much of this has to do with the size of the ski and the fact that I cant ski bumps anyway.

STOMPING
    The ski is big = easy to stomp.

Overall, this ski is versatile. The ski will do anything you want it to do with little hesitation. The ski knows no boundaries and has no speed limit. Fucking fast too - get these things up to speed, let 'er rip, and let the good times roll.

Once you are spent, dont ski on these - they will kick you in the ass.
    Last edited by surftb15; 12-22-2007 at 09:18 AM.
    signature for rent.

I felt the 194's were pretty good in bumps
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

yeah... as soon as you figure out that you need to be a lot more dynamic than you usually would - the 194's handle the bumps just fine. maybe not so great for skiing bump runs all day every day but for getting from point a to point b quick their great!

mount spot? just on the line?
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

yep - mounted right on the line. you can go - 1 back, but that is for powder only according to individual feedback and dynastar themselves.
    signature for rent.

Thanks for the info. I was considering these.

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    Here is a review of the 187 LP XXL.

Stats
    Skier - - 5'10", 180ish pounds
    Skis - 187 LP XXL mounted right on the line, PX 15 Binders
    Locations - Killington, Okemo, Attitash
    Conditions - Lots of EC pow, 3 inches of EC pow, Groomers
    Current and Previous Skis - Rossi Steeze, 186 Big Trouble (Sold), 186 LP, 175 Pro Trouble Makers

DAY 1-GROOMERS
    After hearing people whine that they were not able to get this ski to turn, I was expecting the same thing. However, I was quite surprised when I tookmy first run. Wherever I pointed the skis, they would go. They were very versatile, and would never slow down.

The skis really started to shine when skiing steeper terrain. Once you get these things up to speed, they are nuts.

DAY 2 - A GOOD AMOUNT OF POW
    Even better. The huge shovel would just plow through anything, and there was little tip dive. Even previous tracks where you would notice someone was having difficulty keeping their tips up, the XXL would have no difficulty.

DAY 2 - GLADES
    Yes, yes, and yes.

DAY 3 - LEFTOVER GOODS
    The skis cut through anything and make crud its little bitch.

DAY 4 - MORE POW

See day 2.

DAY 5 - SOME BUMPS
    These skis can get through the bumps, but not the more technical lines. Of course, much of this has to do with the size of the ski and the fact that I cant ski bumps anyway.

STOMPING
    The ski is big = easy to stomp.

Overall, this ski is versatile. The ski will do anything you want it to do with little hesitation. The ski knows no boundaries and has no speed limit. Fucking fast too - get these things up to speed, let 'er rip, and let the good times roll.

Once you are spent, dont ski on these - they will kick you in the ass.
    I am the douchenozzle!

Quote Originally Posted by douchenozzle View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was considering these.
    no problem.
    signature for rent.

How does the 187 compare to the 194 XXL?

It's 7cm shorter.

Is the 187 your have the same dimensions as this/last years 194 XXL? (133-109-122)
    I've heard the 08-09 LP's (coming to the US mainly in February, a few pairs already) are going to be 5ish mm wider underfoot, so mabe they beefed up the XXL about the same?
    Sounds like an awesome ski, i gotta sack up a bit tho before I get on a pair...

is the tip turned up the same as the 194 xxl?

I'd be afraid that it would ski way shorter then a 187. Between the tip and the mini-twin on the 194 xxl, it skis more like a true 188-190.

I put them next to the 192 BD zealots. The 194 xxl's stand about .5-1cm shorter then the 192 zealot Granted, I haven't skied the zealot yet.

Quote Originally Posted by pointedem View Post
    is the tip turned up the same as the 194 xxl?

I'd be afraid that it would ski way shorter then a 187. Between the tip and the mini-twin on the 194 xxl, it skis more like a true 188-190.

I put them next to the 192 BD zealots. The 194 xxl's stand about .5-1cm shorter then the 192 zealot Granted, I haven't skied the zealot
    yet.
    they are similar, but this ski felt similar to a mid 180ish ski. Ill measure the exact running length tonight.
    signature for rent.

running length 183
    signature for rent.

thanks for the review. shoulda picked up a pair when they were on SAC.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    How does the 187 compare to the 194 XXL?
    The 187's the ladies model. Sorry, I had to.

I have last years 194 XXL & I absolutely love them. I would bet the 187 may give up some stability at speed to a more nimble feeling ski. Dynastar will sell a ton of 187's.
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
    running length 183
    No way. Remeasure it. Something around 157 would be believable.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Quote Originally Posted by eirikainersharp View Post
    yeah... as soon as you figure out that you need to be a lot more dynamic than you usually would - the 194's handle the bumps just fine. maybe not so great for skiing bump runs all day every day but for getting from point a to point b quick their great!
    Exactly what I found with the 194 XXL - a lot more skiable all over the mountain, even decent down moderate bump runs - a bit of a handful in tighter or steep bumps with big troughs. The tip seems to have the perfect amount of flex. When you initiate a turn the tip seems to pull the ski into the turn real nicely. Flexible without being too soft. The ski still demands a frim foot & a ballanced/aggressive stance. Get lazy & it will throw you into the back seat pretty quickly. Still, very versitle and makes you feel you could plow through anything. Bomber construction! I'd love to try the 187 - probably a killer resort/pow/all conditions ski.
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Just got my first day in on the same setup (187 on the line, px15, krypton pro). I'm recovering from an achilles rupture so this was not just my first day on skis this year, but my first day with clearance for any sports. Left leg (bad leg) is at about 2/3rds strength, and right leg is pretty weak too since I haven't been able to exercise. At 5'8" 165 and half broken I was expecting to have my ass fully crushed by these skis, especially since conditions were groomers, refrozen, and crud.

They were way more manageable than expected. Mounted where they are, if you stay centered or forward slarving turns and scrubbing speed is no problem. Edge hold is excellent. Turn radius is huge though... which (with the stiffness and edgehold) makes the transition from slarve to carve really abrupt; you're either carving or you're not, and if you are you neeeeed to be carrying serious speed. Getting backseat and accidentally setting the edge will put you on your hip... kinda old school that way. This would be a problem if this were a groomer ski, but it's not.

The one run I did through crud/chop confirmed everything I had hoped about these skis. My leg only held for about 4 or 5 turns at a time, but they absolutely ripped as soon as it got a little soft. Incredibly smooth through crud, much easier to flex into a turn, and totally fun. Not quite as buttery smooth as a Stockli (or the 186 LP I've ridden) but very very good. Didn't make the snow texture disappear like W105. What my Axioms were supposed to be and what my Explosivs are but better. Looking forward to getting them into powder, especially when my leg strength is back. They should be perfect for the days my Praxis aren't. I'll post a true review when I have more real experience on them, but in short: they rock, they are manageable even for a dwarfish gimp, and keep your groomer skis.
    Last edited by flip; 01-05-2009 at 02:24 PM.

What are talking about flip.....these things rule groomers. I can drop 2k of machine packed goodness in one rail ripping turn.

Were you up here this past weekend?

These skis pwn. And they actually are different enough from my regular legend pros that there's not a whole lot of overlap....other than just damp as hell for both.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    No way. Remeasure it. Something around 157 would be believable.

You're getting closer! The running length on the 194 is 167. Following the contours of the ski, the 194 XXL measures exactly 194 cm's.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What are talking about flip.....these things rule groomers. I can drop 2k of machine packed goodness in one rail ripping turn.

Were you up here this past weekend?

These skis pwn. And they actually are different enough from my regular legend pros that there's not a whole lot of overlap....other than just damp as hell for both.
    Was just up Thu night through Sat night and only skied on Saturday. Leg can't take much more than that. Won't be back up until the wkd after this one.

So you're keeping the LPs? Yours are the only ones I've ridden and that was awhile ago, but to me they felt pretty much the same. XXLs are a touch straighter, and a smidge less buttery/stockli-smooth as the LPs but other than that same same. but different.

Nah they're different.

LPs are a little easier to make tighter turns with but it's more than a minor difference in my mind. The xxls are a little more work to slide around in tight spots. They also handle mach stupit runouts a little better because they're slightly less hooky. But yeah like you said, they don't really turn unless you're going like over 30mph. I can ski my lps slow all day. I think I actually did once.

Next time you're up, take the pepsi challenge. I still think one is teh awesome hard snow ski and the other is the softer snow ski. I was at alpine on saturday. If that's where you were, you fail.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 01-05-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Can that even be considered a turn?

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Can that even be considered a turn?
    I don't know but it's fun as shit.

I alternate runs between a left turn and a right turn sometimes so my edge wear is even.

I was at alpine on saturday. If that's where you were, you fail.
    Dude, I suck even worse than usual. My ego can't take getting spanked that badly on day 1.

(and you fail for adopting the meme, "fail.")